Homemade River Jon Boat

• Members

I've been floating rivers for over 50-years now, and finally ready to build my own rig. I want a rig that I can paddle, row at times and use a trolling motor if I need too on the slow water. I've search the web for months now, and like the old-style "Lowe Paddle Jon" the best for my use.

Thanks to Gavin's post on this board, I found the plans to build the boat and have ordered the plans. I have my marine plywood, cypress lumber and white oak for the rails in hand, and can't wait to get started.

Now, from you guys that have used this style boat on flowing rivers... what floor width do you recommend? The 32" floor width seems a little narrow, and I don't think I want to load a 42" wide boat by myself often.

How stable would a 32" wide x 16' boat be? I prefer stability over performance, but don't want to overdo it either.

Thanks for your help, in advance.

Best wishes...

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Awesome ! Keep us updated on the progress, I love to see a boat being built.

I believe I'd tweek the plans a little and make the hull width about 40" in the center, if it were me.

Do the plans give an idea of the weight of the finished boat ? I've thought about building one too, but was afraid it would be a beast in the weight department. Are you planning to fiberglass the hull ?

• Members

I'm waiting on the plans to arrive, they should be here later this week.

The cost is in the marine plywood, I have a friend with a sawmill and my cypress and oak lumber was really cheap.

Forgot in the above post, when I said "row" I meant... steer (guide) the boat down river with the oars.

I haven't thought much about the fiberglass yet...

A few years ago, I built a couple of jon boats, one with a 40 inch bottom, and one with a 32 inch. The 40 inch was really stable, the 32 was less so naturally, but still better than a canoe. The 32 inch paddled better than a canoe IMO. They both had a 24 inch bow and a 30 inch and a 34 inch stern, if I remember. The sides were raked out at 12 degrees, and the bottoms had quite a bit of rocker that made them turn well. I could turn the 32 inch 180 degrees with one sweep of the paddle. The 40 inch had a plywood bottom, the 32 was 1 by 12 board, the 40 was about 150 lbs, the 32 was a bit less, maybe 130 or so.

I've got an 86 Lowe river John, it's 16ft and 32 inches wide, it's very stable and handles similarly to a canoe.. I've never been able to find the right sized motor for it, but a 40lb/ft thrust minnekota does about all I need it to do on the small rivers I fish with it.. (Niangua, upper Gasconade). I use the oars and the anchormate most of the time...

Suppose it all depends upon which river/water you are planning to use it on.. Good luck with your build. Keep us updated?

cricket.c21.com

I am going to be building a river john after the first of the year out of cypress. I am thinking of making it 36" wide in the middle with it tapering to 32" at each end. I would love to find 20' boards but it looks like I will be stuck with 12'

everything in this post is purely opinion and is said to annoy you.

• Members

You guys are a gold mine of the information that I needed... Thanks.

Gavin... I have the Larry D. book on building a 14' boat, and had the Bittersweet plan already bookmarked. I want to see the set of River Runner plans before I start building.

Lee G... Thanks for all the measurments, the float trip I do is a little over 7-miles in one day. Therefore, a narrow boat would probably cover more water with less effort but a wider boat has more stability.

Gotmuddly... My sawmill friend keeps Cypress in 20' lengths cut, but I am several hundred miles away.

Fishincricket... Since you have a Lowe Jon, would you build a boat with a 32" bottom, or make it wider?

Please keep the boat ideas coming... Thanks