Jump to content
OzarkAnglers.Com Forum


Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation on 09/10/2019 in all areas

  1. 7 points

    fishing update

    got several trips in since last post, but somewhat the same, but the last two trips seemed to be dealing with post front conditions, and we had to work for what we got. did not find the stacked in any one place. does seem that they might be heading deeper again on the lower end. the same 3 lures have been getting most of the attention, but the black widow has caught more than the wobbler the last two trips. also, the jig has been getting more love even though my boat is covered in grey shad poo. took a pic to once again have proof that i do catch some in the daytime😄. old sleepy again gives proof that the sleeps through a lot of bites. bo
  2. 6 points

    Catch a State Record Fish? Then What?

    I would do exactly what Bill and your folks at Lilley's did. Catch it, try your best to keep it alive during the certification process and then release it. Based on the accounts of the catch and the relatively short struggle it put up that fish was probably at the end of it's life cycle anyway. Since it was apparently a triploid it's genetics weren't removed from the "gene pool" . Once again... congrats to Bill and all your efforts at Lilley's.
  3. 5 points
    Like with anything else on social media you just have to ignore the keyboard commandos. If you guys couldn't keep it alive I dang sure ain't gonna say anyone else could have. That was a fish of a lifetime pure and simple, at the best I would have done the same Bill did, only likely not as well.
  4. 5 points
    I echo @netboy Get it certified with a hope to release it. I didn’t see anything negative about the catch. That’s because I refuse to use FB.
  5. 4 points

    Catch a State Record Fish? Then What?

    It's not even worth thinking about. Bill is the state record holder for Missouri Brown Trout. And that's all that matters. Personally since she didn't make it, I'd have her mounted and display it in my home or place of business.
  6. 4 points
    Agreed. I didn’t see anything negative about it on Facebook either and I’m on there all the time. I just refuse to pay attention to the ignorance.
  7. 4 points
    There is no question in my mind....you take it to be certified.
  8. 4 points

    Catch a State Record Fish? Then What?

    You all did the best you could. Weigh it , and hope you can release it. There is no shortage of online idiots.
  9. 3 points
    Summer has decided to stick around a little longer this year. Temperatures are in the 90's again this week, but being on Lake Taneycomo's cold water makes it bearable. The lake water is a cool 55 degrees, and the dissolved oxygen content is holding at about seven parts per million, which is very good for this time of year. The trout are active, feeding and fighting hard when hooked. What else does an angler wish for? Generation patterns remain the same as last weeks --- dam operators are still running at least 35 megawatts of power 24/7 and kicking it up to two to three units late in the afternoon and into the evening. This is to meet the power demand on these hot days. As soon as it cools off, I believe they won't run it as hard in the evenings. If you haven't read about it or seen the pictures, an angler caught another big brown this past week and broke the Missouri state record for brown trout again. Bill Babler, one of our long time fishing guides, was fishing with a friend Wednesday morning when he hooked and landed a 40.4 pound brown trout. He was fishing, yes, the pink worm under a float. This is the same bait I've been writing about in my fishing reports for the past ump-teen years, and he had rigged it the same way we've been describing. They were out just fishing for dinner . . . sound familiar? Scott Sandusky and his friends were doing the same thing when he caught his state record brown trout in 2009. He caught his fish on Berkley PowerEggs. The video of the weigh in has been viewed on Facebook more than 450,000 times so far, and the story made most of the major national news outlets. Babler's brown missed the world record mark by less than two pounds! So if you have to ask me, "What are they biting on?" I'd have to say Berkley's Pink Power Worm. I fished it the other day on One Cast and caught one and missed a couple of bites, all in a few minutes. I don't fish it much, but if you just want to catch numbers, it's the best. Duane advises fishing four- to five- feet deep early in the morning and then move to up to 10 feet deep when the sun gets up over the water. Again, two-pound line is a must. Both Duane and Bill have had fly fishing trips this week, and both said #14 or #16 tan or gray scuds in the trophy area are working well. Fish them under a float four- to six- feet deep and in tandem with an egg fly. Babler uses a beaded scud and egg for weight, or you can add small split shots to get them down. Again, use 7x tipper. We're still catching trout on jigs, throwing them straight with no float. Best colors are sculpin, sculpin/ginger, black and olive. The times I've gone out, early and late, the trout have been towards the top of the surface, about three- five-feet deep. I'm working either a 1/16th- or a 1/32nd-ounce jig using two-pound line, not letting it sink very much and working it at that depth. During the day when the sun is over the water, you need to let the same jig drop to the bottom and work it slowly. There are a lot of "stockers" from Cooper Creek down through Monkey Island right now. From my outings, it seems they are wanting to chase. So try a spoon or spinner and work it slowly and steadily, even trolling with it. View full article
  10. 3 points

    Catch a State Record Fish? Then What?

    I'm still working on catching that 1 lb bluegill on a limbline to take the alternative record for that species !
  11. 3 points
    Never say never, Joe. I'd love to take you fishing down here sometime.
  12. 3 points
    Why has Trump not been brought up in all of this .It has got to be his fault.
  13. 3 points
    Others have pretty well summed up my opinion. I'd try my best to keep it alive while jumping through the hoops to get it certified. If you CPR 100 or 1000 trophy class fish in your life time and end up killing the fish of a life time while getting it certified for a record, you have nothing to hang your head in shame about. Fish of that caliber are more than likely towards the end of their life cycle anyways.
  14. 3 points
    I am sure that water temps, air temps and DO have everything to do with survival odds. But like IGFA told Bill, most caught records do not survive. I think Frank was the exception to the rule due to the circumstances I stated. Released or not , I think the fishery deserves the recognition of updated records.
  15. 3 points
    Ditto on all of the above
  16. 2 points
    Social Media can be a cesspool of hate, unfounded judgements and really stupid remarks, all of which I've had to deal with since Mr. Babler caught his big fish and we posted the video on Facebook. It has been interesting though. We are now up to 433,000 "views" on FB, most of them being "3 second views" which means people scrolled by and didn't give it a second look. But that's the way all of us judges whether a video has gone "viral" so I guess it's done well. At first, comments were pleasant. But those are our subscribers and their friends. Then the viral hit and the rest of the world chimed in. Granted, it doesn't take many bad-mannered gents to start a fight but they did... and for the most part I let them dook it out. Most people are mad at us for handling the fish too much and letting it die. Some called it an "innocent" fish. It's interesting how many assumptions were made as if they were here. We used tap water to fill the tank. Took too many pictures. We killed the fish for greed, personal gain, for glory. And I guess in a way they were right on that accusation. Could have just released it at the boat. But then there's those who say it swam away and died - shouldn't even be fishing in the first place. So it begs the question - and I thought it would be worth asking you guys. --- What would you do if you caught a state record? Release it immediately. Take it in to be weighed, thus probably killing it. Try to take it in and get it certified and try to keep it alive to be released. Kill it, eat and don't tell anyone. If you have other options, let 'er rip. I know it would depends on a lot of circumstances... trout are hard to keep alive. Location of the certified scales you have to take it to - how far away is it. Bill's fish died. Why? No way to know. Guesses - everybody has one. But this is about what you'd do if... It really is a personal decision and honestly there's no wrong answer. It rarely happens to anyone, a state record let along a world record.
  17. 2 points
    Well it is "fishing" and some fish are gonna die. Tell the Facebook idiots it's not like "hunting" where everything dies. 😁 That may make them happier.
  18. 2 points
    1 pound is kinda big for you isn't it
  19. 2 points
    I already have a pretty good understanding of the true authentic stupidity of most people. I choose to shield myself from most social and mass media so I’m not reminded of it every minute of every day. That’s the cool thing about free will, if want I can ignore the world outside of my bubble. I know it might sound like blasphemy to my fellow fisherman but one big fish is no big deal. Nobody did anything wrong and the world is no better or worse than it ever was. Fortunately; me catching a record fish is as likely as me winning the Lottery. If either did happen, I hope i’d have the strength to keep it to myself.
  20. 2 points

    Chunk and wind

    Awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fried Kentuckies. Nothing better.................
  21. 2 points

    Labor Day Weekend with Family

    It sure was, always way more excited than I should be to catch one of them.
  22. 2 points

    Catch a State Record Fish? Then What?

    I’ve expressed my thoughts on records. The IGFA confirmed my thoughts with their ridiculous rule on the leader. But if I have what I think is a record I’m taking it in. There’s more benefit in taking it in for the fishery than just letting it go to possibly die after the release. I think Bill’s fish was dead as soon as he set the hook.
  23. 2 points

    Catch a State Record Fish? Then What?

    This was a fish caught within the limits of the law; a genetically modified fish stocked in a man-made tail water. Extraordinary efforts were made to keep it alive so it could be released to be caught again, but it didn’t survive. Kudos to all involved. I wish it had survived, but I can’t mourn its loss. Not to take away from the accomplishment, but this wasn’t a native wild trout, born in the river that beat the odds and survived in a difficult natural environment; one that passed its superior genes on to another generation, strengthening the species for the future. It was a stocker that likely grew obese eating the guts of other stockers. It was a nice catch. Records are what they are. Would have been nice to release it alive, but not a great loss that it died.
  24. 2 points

    What's Cooking?

    All home made. Smoked brisket. Sauce. Potato salad.
  25. 2 points
    Personally, I'd have a hard time hauling in a potential record - it all depends on the circumstances. If it was clear it would kill the fish... I don't know. I get real funny when I'm worried about a big fish's health... I can't help it. Everything was working well with Bill's catch. It didn't fight long and hard. He got it back to the dock quickly and it was swimming on its own in the tank. Everybody was excited because they knew it should be weighed and released.
  26. 1 point

    Final attack w/ 6hp mud buddy

    it’s about the neatest thing since television. tons of videos on YouTube with guys running this same boat and motor combo boat is 2011. It has factory back rest and custom doors made out of cabinet racks...lots of info online about those too...ready to be grassed-up the motor is a 2007...6hp Subaru...mud buddy. Always stored inside...starts and runs great. something unexpected came up...and I could use some cash...Asking $950 if you’re a guy that hunts 4 rivers or grand pass...or practically anywhere...you’ll love it
  27. 1 point
    Took my boys for some smallmouth fishing on the James (lower). It was a beautiful late morning, early afternoon. Fish were all over, next to structure, in the middle, shallow, deep, wherever. Tried multiple lures with varying success, but the lure of the day was the Ned rig. I tried 3 different jigheads and all worked equally well, it was just a fishy day. Both boys caught plenty of fish, but the young one caught the fish of the day (and best small mouth of his short life). I was in my 30s before I caught a smallmouth like that. His smile says it all. Hope all of you are taking advantage of the bite, it is GOOD.
  28. 1 point
    Willing to make an exception for a state record. Now if only they had records for 3 inch rainbow darters😀. I'd be all in👍!
  29. 1 point

    Catch a State Record Fish? Then What?

    We spend thousands and thousands of dollars to catch nice trout in exotic locations and that’s okay. Some class warfare grumbling aside, no one blinks. Someone catches a monster in our backyard, and apparently a crime has been committed. As if he(us) , and the fish, is somehow undeserving of our respect and good will. Once again, I’d rather laugh with the sinners, than cry with the saints.
  30. 1 point

    Catch a State Record Fish? Then What?

    You want my TRUE AUTHENTIC thoughts? That post makes no freakin' sense at all! And, you're welcome for my contribution to you living less stupidly and keeping you out of the nut house for now.
  31. 1 point
    I don't avoid social media, just Facebook.
  32. 1 point

    Catch a State Record Fish? Then What?

    Avoiding social media in order to shield yourself from the TRUE AUTHENTIC thoughts of the people that surround you, is a guaranteed way to live stupidly. If you can't handle reality then you just might belong in a mental institution, because eventually you're gonna get some news that will break you bad.
  33. 1 point

    Catch a State Record Fish? Then What?

    As a non native fish, he should have slit its gills and left it up on the bank to rot. That's what i was told to do when i caught an invasive fish. Actually...If i caught a state record, 1st.) Id change my underwear. 2.) Id get ahold of the conservation department. 3.) I would not be concerned with the welfare of the fish. In all seriousness....It is ironic to me that the same folks willing to drag a 40# trout around taneycomo all day on 4# line until it dies of exhaustion, are the same folks who will pitch a tantrum about someone killing a 15 inch spotted bass on table rock for a fish fry. Personally....I'd happily do both, but have only had the opportunity to do that latter. I totally agree that " Social Media can be a cesspool of hate, unfounded judgements and really stupid remarks " but dont exclude OAF from social media.
  34. 1 point
    It appeared to me that everything possible was done for this fish and in the end it died. There will always be trolls and people who look to get offended everyday. A lot of people comment as well without knowing all the facts. FB is a cesspool for those people. For me though, I would have liked to seen the record beaten by a native fish, but hey, it's still a record and quite an accomplishment in it's own right. Kudos to all involved.
  35. 1 point

    Chunk and wind

    We got to Hartley just after sun up. We started close with spinner baits and buzz baits. Nothing. We decided they might be deep so we fished jigs, plastics, and Ned. Nothing again. After a couple of hours and a boat ride we found some wind. We fished spinner baits and crank baits the rest of the day. Chunk and wind. Chunk and wind. We ended up with 19 bass 5 of them nice keepers 2 lmb 2 spots 1 smb. And yes Walcrabass Kyle took the spots home to eat.
  36. 1 point

    Catch a State Record Fish? Then What?

    I heard it was a non-triploid brown that weighed 41 and change. I also heard they torture kittens instead of doing their jobs
  37. 1 point
    Nice! One less guy crowding me in Technically it's a lake below the dam.
  38. 1 point


    Caught a lot of keepers in the 15 to 20 in. range for the 2 day trip I made. Most were caught on a 7'' candy bug worm. Very few fish on a whopper popper, but did pick up some small ones. No buzz bait bite. Couple on a red shad 6to 8' crankbait, tried other cranks but did not work. Caught fish on main lake deep channel bends. Tried a lot of baits but it was tough. Very few fish in the coves and no action in the coves all on main lake deeper water.
  39. 1 point
    Yep, pretty much the way I feel about it.
  40. 1 point
    Did pretty much the same trip with my son and 2 brothers-in-law years ago. No fish pictures. Never been back. About sums it up for me. Still. You gotta give things a shot or you’ll never know.
  41. 1 point

    Catch a State Record Fish? Then What?

    Ahh. Not native. Eating stuff that “pure trout “ don’t. The Mark McGwire of trout. An insult to “natural “ fish everywhere. Therefore, I object. And, will never fish Taneycomo. Imagine. Trout in Missouri living in a river below a dam. The very idea.
  42. 1 point
    I recall hearing (from the inner circle) about one that MDC shocked up and killed at Taney that at the time would have beaten the state record by a long shot. It didn't recover from the shock so they put a hush order on it, and swept it under the rug. Anybody here know exactly how big that one was, and if it was a rainbow or a brown? I think that would be a good place to redirect the ones bellyaching about Mr. Bablers fish. 😊
  43. 1 point
    Back in the 1970s and 80s, several regional outdoor writers, including as I remember Larry Dablemont as well as a couple Arkansas Game and Fish guys, wrote several articles in regional magazines extolling the virtues of the fishing for big smallmouth on the Kings River, which fired my imagination to no end. I did make it to the Kings sometime around that time period. As I remember, I floated from Trigger Gap to the Hwy. 62 bridge one day, and from the bridge down to the next access the next day. I remember the float above the bridge being somewhat of a disappointment, as there was barely enough water to float and it was quite clear. Back then, I thought that all the best smallmouth waters had to have some color, like the Meramec, Big, and Bourbeuse that I was used to fishing. I don't remember much at all about the lower float, so it must not have been all that great, either. I have a few photos of the upper float, but not many, and I was really into photographing my floats back then and I've always been a sucker for photographing bluffs, so there must not have been that many impressive bluffs on either float. But I had seen some photos of the river farther upstream that looked really cool, and I kept it in the back of my mind that one day I'd do a float from Marble down. I even stopped one time at the Marble Access on the way to somewhere else just to check it out. It was VERY low, just a trickle of water, and there were several filleted remains of...spotted bass? I certainly didn't remember seeing or catching any spots on that float below Trigger Gap...something made me think I caught a few below Hwy. 62, though. Later on, I read from Dablemont or somebody that the big smallmouth had disappeared from the Kings. So the idea of floating the upper river went further onto the back burner. So this summer, when I started thinking about my annual three day solo float, the Kings didn't pop into my mind at first. But my secret creek that used to be so spectacularly good fishing had been a little disappointing the last couple years, and I started entertaining thoughts of floating somewhere else. Somewhere new, maybe? And finally I thought of the upper Kings. I checked the water levels a few weeks back, and was somewhat shocked to see that the only gauge on the Kings was reading 50 cubic feet per second. That's low. I don't consider a stream to be floatable without a lot of dragging and scraping bottom unless it's at least 75 cfs. I checked to see what the exact location of the gauge was, and was even more surprised to see that it's a bit downstream from the river's biggest tributary, Osage Creek. Wow, if it was that low below Osage Creek, how low would it be upstream? I started making backup plans while watching the gauge occasionally. Well, the Kings got a good rise a couple weeks ago, and it seemed to be keeping its level well above normal for this time of year. Looked like the Kings float was still on. In fact, I really like my solo float to be on water that IS a little too low for anybody else to think seriously about floating it, and the gauge was still reading well above 100 cfs. I finally decided that the Kings was my choice. On Tuesday I called Kings River Outfitters at Trigger Gap to arrange a shuttle from Marble down to their place. "There's not enough water to float up there," the guy said. I explained that I was used to floating streams that were too low to float, and expected to have to get out and walk some of the riffles. "Okay, as long as you know what you're getting into," he said. I made the five plus hour drive to the vicinity Wednesday afternoon, staying at a nice little motel in Berryville overnight, and met my shuttle guy at 8 AM Thursday morning. We drove up to the put-in at Marble, and my first good look at the river up there was just about what I expected...fairly clear, and the riffle at the put-in looked to be flowing about 50 cfs. Yep, I was going to be walking some riffles, but I'd probably be able to float most of them at that level, though I'd scrape rocks on most of those I floated. I loaded my two coolers, and two drybags with all my clothing, camping gear, and miscellaneous stuff into the solo canoe. I'd picked up a couple of the more expensive high tech coolers recently, and they were considerably heavier than my old cheap coolers, so the canoe seemed to sit lower in the water. I had plenty of ice in them. One held my food, the other my beverages and water. I started down that first riffle and dragged bottom with the rear of the canoe a lot worse than I thought I would, so I stopped, and reloaded everything to balance my load better. The river looked pretty good for fishing, and I was excited to be fishing new water, but it took a while to catch the first fish, and it was a largemouth. So was the next one, then I caught a couple spotted bass. Finally a smallmouth. I was trying topwater without much success, but my homemade crankbait was catching a few, as was a spinnerbait. But the fishing was disappointingly slow. There were nice looking pools, but a lot of the river was bedrock bottomed, and even the bluff pools were different from what I was used to. The geology was such that the bluffs were layered in thin beds, and the cliffs came right down to the water and then the solid rock sloped off into the middle of the pool. Because of the thin beds of rock, there wasn't much big chunk rock underwater, just solid, flat bedrock with ledges. I just didn't think it looked like great habitat even in the deeper pools. And the low flow meant that there weren't many deep, fast runs, just shallow riffles and bedrock bottomed pools. But the landscape was gorgeous. Some of those bluffs were a hundred feet high, came right down to the water, and the river had undercut the base until you could paddle all the way back under the overhangs. This upper river is, in some ways, pretty civilized, with a lot of cleared land and cattle, but those bluffs were really cool. I planned on floating from Marble to a bit below Marshall Ford the first day, so I kept moving. It's a little over 11 miles between those two accesses, and I hadn't gotten on the river until after 9 AM, but I knew I could float til nearly dark...I don't cook my meals on these hot weather trips, so all I would have to do was set up my tent, which takes about 10 minutes. I was floating over about 75% of the riffles, though almost never without scraping bottom. My biggest early problem was a private, torn up low water bridge that I had to portage over, and portaging required almost completely unloading the canoe. Then I came to a stretch where I was having to get out and walk nearly every riffle. I wondered if this was a losing reach, a geological term where part or all the flow of a stream sinks underground to emerge again farther downstream. This went on for about a mile and then there seemed to be more water again, though I didn't notice any inflow. I finally caught a very nice largemouth, about 17 inches, on a walk the dog topwater, and a few decent smallmouth, 13-14 inchers. I think I ended up with about 40 bass for the day, almost evenly divided between the three species. The spotted bass were fat and as good as any of the bass I caught that day, and since they are native to these streams I was happy to catch them. In mid-afternoon I passed three guys in kayaks, and I wondered if they were the reason the fishing was slow, but after I passed them it didn't get any better; in fact, it got worse for a while. Then it picked up a bit, then finally just about died by the time I came to the second low water bridge that required portaging. At least this one had been furnished with ramps on both sides that appeared to be specifically for portaging canoes over it, but I still had to unload the boat again. There was a big sign saying "Marshall Ford, 1 mile downstream". I figured that some people would be confused and think they had come to the take-out, even though Marshall Ford has been a high bridge for a while now. There had been no lack of good camping gravel bars until I passed under the bridge, and then it took more than a mile farther before I found a usable bar that didn't have a lane coming onto it or a cabin next to it. I finally picked a small, narrow bar with barely enough flat area to pitch the tent, a half hour before dark. It was a picturesque spot, though, with a smooth, colorful sandstone cliff opposite the bar. I'd noted that the geology had changed in the last couple miles, with the bluffs floored with that smooth sandstone instead of the shelving, undercut limestone, and there was more chunk rock in the pools. I set up the tent in nearly the last light, and brought out my smoked chicken leg quarters, potato salad, and cole slaw out of the cooler, with a cold sweet tea, and ate as the stars began to appear. A single mosquito buzzed around my ear for a bit. It was warm, so when I went into the tent I lay atop the sleeping bag, reading a Kindle book on my cell phone until my eyelids drooped. I was up at daylight, and quickly broke down the tent, loaded the canoe, and started my day of fishing. And as the morning went along the fishing got better. I hate to admit this...I've never been a big fan of the Whopper Plopper, but for some reason I decided to try one, and for the first time, it was almost magic. The water had gotten clearer...yesterday it had about 3-4 feet visibility, but it was 5 feet or better by the time I'd gotten to camp last night. The walk the dog topwater was producing a few fish, but the Whopper Plopper was doing better by far. Lots of smallmouth, almost none of the other two species. By the end of this day I had caught 113 bass, with only one spotted bass and two largemouth. Most, however, were small, under 12 inches. When I would get a strike from a 13-14 incher on the Plopper it was vicious, and often I thought it was a big one until I had it on long enough to get a good look. I remember one 14-incher that really shocked me. A couple weeks ago I'd damaged a tendon in my left arm, my casting arm. I could cast okay backhanded, but I had to use two hands on a forehand or overhand cast, and my elbow was still sore and weak. This fish clobbered the lure as it neared the canoe, and then drove toward the rear of the canoe so hard that it nearly jerked the rod out of my hand and really HURT my arm. In late afternoon, the best fish of the trip blew up on the Plopper, coming completely out of the water and knocking the lure three feet. I twitched it once and the big smallmouth came back and got it. It measured 18 1/4th inches. I got strikes from a couple others that missed that might have been that big or bigger, but given the way I'd overestimated some of those 14 inchers when they hit, I can't say that for certain. It's 16 miles from Marshall Ford to Rockhouse, the next access, and the bluffs, while different, are even more impressive in some ways than those undercut cliffs upstream. Some of them are over 200 feet high. I had planned to stop for the evening a mile or so above Rockhouse, but again there just wasn't the perfect gravel bar, so I kept fishing and passed the access, going nearly two more miles downstream before picking out a huge, high bar adjacent to a wooded bluff. I'd covered more than 16 miles. But one reason I'd floated so many miles is that the habitat was getting worse. There were longer stretches of shallow water with very little cover between the good pools. Some stretches were bedrock bottomed, others were wide, gravelly bottomed pools that looked good from upstream but turned out to be a foot deep when you got into them. So I'd paddle through those long unproductive stretches to fish the good water. I passed a creek called Dry Creek, which actually wasn't very well named, because it was flowing enough water to increase the flow of the river by a good 25%. Now the riffles were all floatable--except I soon began to come to very wide, gravel riffles that were two inches deep all the way across. I later passed another creek that was flowing fairly well, but not enough to make a lot of difference. The second night I ate smoked pork chops, bothered a bit by no-see-um gnats in the hour or so before dark. Since I'd floated so far the second day, I only had about 5-6 miles to go. And the habitat was no better. The sheer bluffs had disappeared, too, and the scenery was less interesting, plus the very wide, inches deep riffles became very common. I only caught about 20 smallmouth, biggest about 16 inches, mostly again on the Whopper Plopper. I'd noticed a pattern the day before and it continued on this day. There would be a few fish at the head of a decent pool, but the larger fish seemed to be near the tail of the pool. Some of the pools were really nice and deep with big rocks in their upper portions, but would shallow out about halfway down. Those pools had few fish willing to bite. But if a pool stayed fairly deep toward the lower end there would often be a couple bigger fish in the lower portion. And while there were some nice logs here and there, I caught basically nothing on wood, every fish came from those chunk rock areas. I reached the old, breached low water bridge at Trigger Gap early in the afternoon, and floated over the gap in it, then downstream a half mile to the Kings River Outfitters access. All in all, it had been a very interesting trip. But I have to say I was disappointed in the overall habitat. And often, I noticed a pretty bad smell...I think there are a lot of industrial chicken farms near the river. I was actually surprised that the water quality seemed as good as it did. I also wonder if the habitat was a lot better back when Dablemont and the others were touting the Kings, because it didn't really look like the kind of water that produce huge numbers of big fish. But it had been a good solo trip, with perfect weather, great scenery, and sometimes good fishing. The wildlife was kinda lacking...I saw two deer, and a white goat standing on a rock watching me go by, the whole trip, along with a bunch of vultures. I also noted a lot of huge redhorse suckers, something I've seen on other Arkansas rivers. Do these rivers not get gigged much? You never see big redhorse in any numbers on Missouri streams. All in all a good trip, though I'm not sure I'll do it again any time soon.
  44. 1 point
    Travis Swift

    9/4 thru 9/7 report

    We just got back from Taney and had a great trip. The fish are so thick, healthy and beautiful colored right now. Taney is in great shape! Our best fishing was in the restricted zone between look out and fall creek all week. We caught fish on sculpin Peach jigs in the morning till the sun got high then had to go to natural colors, sculpin and ginger, sculpin brown, sculpin wine etc. One day they got off the jig bite big time so we switched to micro jigs on fly rods and it was hammer time all day long doing that and it was a blast. We are still pretty new to fly rods and stuff but goodness we caught alot of fish and had a blast doing it. Shallow side was our best but the big fish of the trip came on the bluff side. It wasn't all roses this trip as the jerkbait bite was WAY off for us. We caught plenty of smallmouth and Kentucky bass on it, quite a few rainbows on it but only one brownie and I threw it ALOT. Something was just off and I can't figure out what it was. The fishing from the cable to look out also wasn't as good as we have come to expect either. The stretch from look out to the narrows was for sure the best stretch this time around. An interesting note is we had a half dozen nice smallies on the bluff across from lilleys this trip.
  45. 1 point
    Travis Swift

    9/4 thru 9/7 report

    We caught several very small rainbows.. This one was.. Well what was he thinking???
  46. 1 point
    Old dog 417

    September 3,4,,5

    Good reports and Way to go, both you guys! Good to see the high water gone and fishing improving. od
  47. 1 point
    There were 9 this Wed. We won with that, it was pretty tough, i think only 4 of us weighed in, second had 6 and some change. Last Wed only 2 boats showed up so they cancelled it. I would say more people will start coming when it cools down a bit. It was pretty brutal fishing till 3 the other day, we had an hour fog delay so they extended the day an extra hour. I did whack a 4.59 in that last hour, so that helped cool me down.
  48. 1 point
    @Smallmouth Addict 12 did you ever get out to Little Dixie for blue cats? If so how did you do?
  49. 1 point
    That first pic that you posted appears to be a nice little meanmouth (spotted bass smallmouth hybrid) notice the vertical lines beneath the lateral line? Looks like a fun weekend!!!
  50. 1 point
    lmt out

    Really good with the really bad

    Some times you have a really good trip and think I have it figure out then..... You have a day like today. We had (the wife and I)5 keepers and 4 shorts. Sister and her boyfriend in her boat 1 short. All keepers were better than 17 inches biggest 22. Had to find fish on fish finder or you weren't getting bit. On the good side got to fish with my beautiful wife which has not happened near enough this year.
  • Newsletter

    Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?
    Sign Up
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.