Jump to content
OzarkAnglers.Com Forum

Jadesjigs

Members
  • Content Count

    10
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Jadesjigs

  • Rank
    Bleeding Shiner

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Hey Seth, I've caught nice fish on both sections of the river you mentioned. However, I haven't fished either one enough to really tell if one is better than the other. If the water is low, I think the shelvin to hootentown may be better-especially after the Finley runs in. With all the recent rain I would think that either area would be good floats. I also think the shelvin to hootentown float may be busier in summer due to canoe rentals. Sorry I know this doesn't help much, but maybe gives you a little insight. You won't regret either route that you decide. Let us know how the trip goes. Thanks!
  2. Jadesjigs

    The Corner Spot

    Those pics are awesome. Thanks for sharing!
  3. Jadesjigs

    FLASH FLOOD FINESSE PART II

    Got out to the river today to get my gear that I left behind during the flood. Water had dropped quite a bit, but it was still moving at a pretty good pace. The water color was dingy, but it wasn't muddy. During the first part of the float, I didn't have any fishing gear with me. It's very rare that I don't have a fishing pole while on the water. It's pretty amazing how your mindset changes, and the things that you notice when you're not looking ahead for that next place to cast. There's something about being one with nature while you're fishing and how your senses are heightened. However, it was quite peaceful just enjoying the river without a rod-at least for awhile. Got to the bluff where I had left my gear and luckily all was still there and in good shape. The water was moving a little fast for my usual finesse tactics. Plus my ned rig reel needed to be lubricated after sitting in the rain for the last 3 days. I tied on a homemade 1/2 oz., bladed jig paired with a 3.25" grub on a heavier rod that I had. I'm starting to like these bladed jigs the more that I use them. It's like you get a jig, spinnerbait, and crankbait all in one. I usually work them on the bottom like a crankbait (you can tell by looking at the head.) Also, treble hooks and myself don't get along very well which makes these jigs an excellent substitute. The quantity of fish was definitely down, but the quality was awesome. They were off the treadmill today and sheltered in the cover in the backwaters. Had one 12 plus inch (didn't have an official way to measure) come unbuckled on the bladed jig, and landed another one about the same size in the backwater at the head of a riffle. Found another backwater area right in the middle of a riffle and hooked into a nice 17" smallie (unofficial paddle measurement.) She immediately made a run for the current and pulled my kayak halfway down the riffle before I was able to get her in the boat. Man that was a blast. It was one of the funnest fights and one of the largest river fish that I have ever caught. Sorry, I know the pics aren't great. I was taking the pic through a waterproof case and wanted to get her back to the water asap. After I released that smallmouth, I couldn't help but think about how many floods she had survived, how many times she had been caught and released, and how blessed I was to catch her!!
  4. Jadesjigs

    JAMES/CRANE

    I'm not real familiar with the area, but I put my kayak in one time on Crane Creek at Hwy AA. I floated into the James and down to Galena. When I arrived near the confluence of where Crane meets the James, there was a log over the creek. I crossed the log and there was a deer standing nearby that I watched for awhile. Threw a popper out with my fly rod. As I was distracted by the beauty of the area, I felt a lot of pressure on my rod. I immediately thought that I was snagged, but pulled in the nicest smallmouth I had ever caught with a popper (on accident!) Definitely a beautiful place!
  5. Jadesjigs

    FLASH FLOOD FINESSE

    Thank you! Worst part about it is I left a tfo fly rod that I had just got back from the company because my 1st one broke. I got to say temple fork outfitters are an awesome co. 1st nice fly rod I've had and they stand behind their warranty with no hassles. I'm sure it will be there. It's on high ground in in a discreet location.
  6. Jadesjigs

    FLASH FLOOD FINESSE

    Had the day available to fish my local river. There was a 70% chance of rain. To me this means there's a 30% chance it won't rain!!! My days are so scarce that I get to fish that I try to not let weather dictate when I go-unless it's just obviously going to be bad. I've ducked out of storms before, no big deal. Some of my best days of fishing have been on days like this. Started out catching a few rock bass by dipping trees with a ned rig that I tied some marabou and flash on (marabou ned) . I always try to find unique things to do with these jigs. This reminded me of dipping trees with jigs or minnows for crappie. The sky got dark and it started to storm so I took shelter under a rock ledge. It rained pretty hard, but it eventually passed as expected. I got on the river again and the fishing started to pick up. The smallies were really liking the 1/16 size ned paired with a 2.5" coppertreuse bait. I was drifting through eddies and current seams until, it started to get dark again. Luckily, I found another rock ledge to shelter in. This time the lightning and rain came with fury. I'm not to worried about rain, but I don't mess around with lightning. Had to wait this one out quite a bit longer due to the lightning. The river was turning brown and rising fast. I contemplated hiking out of there, but I knew I could navigate the river. I had to move fast and there was no room for error. Therefore, I left all of my fishing gear and equipment on the bluff. I didn't want any extra weight in the canoe and I wanted all the room available to maneuver. The paddle got a good workout, but I made it to the takeout without incident. Looks like I get another river day soon to retrieve my gear! I always try to be prepared for the worst and have a back-up plan. Thank the lord for giving me another day to enjoy your creation!
  7. I just received the honor of having Ned Kehle do a review of some jigs that I make in an online In Fisherman publication. Mr. Kehle is very supportive and extremely nice. He gives so much back to the sport. I attributed my knowledge and success to everybody here on Ozark Anglers. who unselfishly provide so much valuable information. This is mentioned in the article as well. There is also a pretty good description of why I started making these jigs and how I fish them. I look forward to meeting more of you guys in the future. Thanks for everything!!! Click on the Jade's Jigs part to see the review. Here's the link http://www.in-fisherman.com/midwest-finesse/
  8. Jadesjigs

    Ned jig heads

    This is a picture of a monster smallie one of my customers sent me today with one of my skirted jigs. Too bad I can't take credit for it .
  9. Jadesjigs

    Ned jig heads

  10. Jadesjigs

    Ned jig heads

    Hello everybody. I'm new to posting on oa, but I have learned a lot from everybody here and wanted to say THANK YOU!! The ned rig is one of my favorite tools thanks to you. I don't want to take any business away from fellow members selling these, but I seen this post as a great opportunity to let people know about the ned rigs I sell. I make lead free ned rigs with a bismuth/tin alloy. This alloy is slightly lighter than lead. This allows you to fish a little larger head, yet keep that tantalizing, slow sink rate. I can do whatever hooks, sizes, or colors people want. I powder coat and temper the paint on the jigs by baking them. I can add stainless steel wire keepers to help hold your trailer of choice. These keepers are compatable with elastec style baits. I usually use a drop of superglue to help bond the trailer to the jig head. The true ned guys may slaughter me, but I've had a lot of success and have received a lot of positive feedback on some of my non-traditional hook options. Some of which include: #1 sickle hooks, 1/0 hooks, 3/0 hooks, and skirted finesse jigs with the same style head. I can go as heavy as 1/4 oz. Like I said earlier, I understand that some of these options don't fit the "traditional" ned rig theory, but they catch fish!! I've even been using a small ned with a #2 sickle hook and catching lots of smallies in the river with my 7wt fly rod. Sorry, figured I would make the fly fisherman mad also! The possibilities on these jigs are endless. If interested, please send me a message or email me at jadesjigs@yahoo.com Once again, Thanks for everything you guys do for the sport!!!
×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.