Home Remodel

Rusty

I am doing a complete tear out and remodel on a bedroom and two halls and a living room. Building a 2.5'x7' closet that will have access through a hall that buts up to the living room. Adding new insulation on the exterior walls and all new electric, doors and trim. While doing the living room, I decided to build ready the backside of the closet that joins the living room to hold a LCD TV up to 50". I want to add all the necessary cables through the wall that I will need to run the satellite receiver to the TV plus a DVD player. So far I have come up with the RG6 cable that connects the TV to the satellite receiver and a HDMI cable. The TV will not be able to receive HD through the satellite because of obstructions. Will I only need one HDMI cable for the Blu Ray DVD or will I need the RCA cables too if I decide not to get a Blu Ray DVD player? I don't want to pull wires after I get this wall completed.

Unlike Beta and VHS, Blue ray is compatible with DVD. If the hype is true( wich I dont believe and and a bilion others hope not) Blue Ray will be nothing more than the VHS before DVD. Makes sense yet?

Anyway, the coaxil cables will be universal. Install away!

"May success follow your every cast." - Trav P. Johnson

From experience of rewire and installation I would suggest that you purchase plastic conduit at least 1 1/4 inch and just installl it in the wall. Exit it to the basement or ceiling and all of you future upgrades will be a snap.

The government and the electronic industry will do the same thing it is doing now and make needless changes to infrastructure code and requirements. Then we will need to change everything again. Conduit is the way to go and easy to install initally. For non current carrying wires you don't even need boxes but they are nice if you put them at exits and entrances. Just be sure to place a piece of nylon twine in the conduit before you close the wall.

The reason I suggest larger conduit is because the cords required now, HDMI et al, are usually purchased with larger terminal connections and harder to fish through walls. Unless you have access to special tools they are difficult to fabricate and must be purchased with termination installed. Another way they get us. Redicilous (60 dollars for a required cord) to get HD and that is the short one.

Thom Harvengt

Two words... Fiber Optic...

It's down the road a bit, but it's coming...

I installed satellite dishes in a former life for a bit, and you'll find that many of the homes that have it installed have coaxial cable running just above the trim. If we could route it through a closet or something similar, that was great.

TIGHT LINES, YA'LL

"There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process." - Paul O’Neil

• 3 weeks later...

This is what I ended up buying:faceplate.jpgalong with this:bracket.jpg

I installed two of the two gang to run all the HD/Audio and the single gang just for the satellite cable. I can then run any cable later if needed.

• 6 years later...
  • Members

There are a few things that should always be kept in mind while planning home remodeling. Only use good quality materials in your home remodeling. Use materials according to your surroundings. Hire a good professional who can perform the job of remodeling perfectly. Remodeling services Baltimore provide you with experienced professionals who take care of all your remodeling needs.

lol at Phil, it was cool to read the thread from the beginning and see where we were at 6 years ago with TV Tech and where we are today.

I just had my system completely upgraded and have a DISH, I have 4 tv’s in the house and were you use to have multiple wired boxes today I only have 2 the other two are wireless which is real nice because I can pick them up and take them anywhere is range of the main box.

This has made working on the boat much nicer and having them outside on nice evenings to sit back in the yard is even nicer. All four Tv’s are HD and through the dish even with wireless are HD and picture looks great.

Two simple coaxial cable to only the two boxes and from them it’s all Ethernet to the surround picture/sound brain the Blueray goes to the brain as does a PC .

I think most of us thought that Blueray would be nothing more than BETA tapes were when they first came out or certainly wouldn’t still be here and I really thought fiber optic or something better would be here but nope. Who would have thought in 08 we would have TV’s that could be internet compatible or have dvr’s that would store 2000 hours of shows.