Productive Day On The Norfork

John Berry

I took a couple of clients to the Norfork yesterday. Quarry Park was closed off so I launched at the Confluence. Motored up to the dam. The ramp at the dam was heavily damaged. The fishing on high water was good. At 11:00 they turned off the water and we fished down to the Catch and Release section and fishing got even better. It was an easy fifty fish day. The big fish was an eighteen inch Rainbow and a brown of the same size. I saw an incredible number of scuds and a caddis hatch.

The river was heavily scoured and looked very differant from the last time I saw it at low water. Some of my favorite holes are gone and some channels are greatly changed. I will have to re learn the whole river. I think a lot of the change is for the better.

John Berry

OAF CONTRIBUTOR

Fly Fishing For Trout

(870)435-2169

http://www.berrybrothersguides.com

berrybrothers@infodash.com

Cool. There are still a few trout in the Norfork. As an ignorant newcomer, I'm happy that I have nothing to re-learn. ;) I'll just learn it for the first time this summer.

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish

John,

" I think a lot of the change is for the better." How about a little essay on what your perceptions are about the change and why you think it is for the better. Any insight will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Don A

• Members
John,

" I think a lot of the change is for the better." How about a little essay on what your perceptions are about the change and why you think it is for the better. Any insight will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If I could have a dissertation on the effects of floodwater on the ecosystem below hydroelectric dams that would be great. Try to include at least three pages concerning the particular effects on each species of fish that is stocked in said water. I will make this due.....lets say Wednesday the 23rd. Remember, 15% of the paper is grammar.

Let me try this. The changes that I saw were that the upper river had basically been scoured. I think that this has blown out a lot of the siltation caused by the Overlook Estates debacle. The Norfork is the oldest tailwater on the White River and it was starting to feel its age. I think the river was silting in and was not getting blown out occassionally. Just like opening the flood gates on the Colorado and blowing out the river in the Grand Canyon this higher water will help cleanse the river and make it healthier in the long run. It also gives us a new river to fish. I really enjoyed the mental chess game this past week of going into water that I hardly recognized and figuring out where the fish were. It will benefit us in the long run.

John Berry

OAF CONTRIBUTOR

Fly Fishing For Trout

(870)435-2169

http://www.berrybrothersguides.com

berrybrothers@infodash.com

Thanks John. That was what I was thinking and I wanted your opinion on it. I have been putting in a garden and that has taken up most of my time. I hope to get done with all this work at home and get back on the river soon.

Don A