25 Pound Brown Caught

• Members
Here is the picture..

Rick Spegal, from Bowling Green, Missouri, caught a 25 pound brown trout

down stream from Lilley's Landing Resort & Marina.

He caught it on yellow and orange gulp powerbait on 6 lb line. It was 34

inches long.

THEONE1.jpg

It is it is it is the loch ness monster

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow that is just too cool.

Plus it was caught on 6lb line. I think I need to find out what the brand name of that line is.

I have hook some big fish including some 15-20 lb Steelhead and most of the times they make a down stream run. So my question is , was this guy on the dock on in a boat? If he was in a boat, I can see running the the fish down, but from the dock, you would think a fish that size would spool you in 30 seconds.

Later,

FFM

Woo Hoo Fish On!!

• Members

Grrrr......

nice fish, lousy everything else.....

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

• Members

I love that the fish was caught on a spinning rig and on powerbait. It just goes to show you that a lot of fishing is luck and being in the right place at the right time. Plus it really gives me a tickle to see all the flyfishing purists get jealous. I say congrats to the guy on the trophy of a lifetime.

Jefly

god what a fish. I too have only caught 3 or 4 browns on powerbait in my entire life and they were nothing to write home about. I do wish this fish could have swam away, but from what i have seen on these larger browns is they do not do well after having a long drawn out fight(which i presume was the case with 6# line being mentioned) in low oxygen water and hot weather conditions. I have put much smaller 7 to 10 pounders back only to watch them float belly up before they are out of sight. Note that these fish i mention were handled extremely carefully and we were quick about it too. I doubt either case applied in this situation, so a successful release would have been very marginal based on my experiance and the details provided. Bottom line is excellent catch and this helps qualify Taney as one of the few waters in the world that can even support this type of Brown trout. Even if is is a little mentally challenged for eating powerbait. What luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That fish was probably old and going blind and thought the colors of the power bait was a rainbow trout. Man think of all the rainbows that fish has eaten in its lifetime, MDC can cut down on the number of stockers each time a fish like that is taken out. :D No I think all of us would rather catch 1 fish like that than a thousand stockers.

• Members
Are we a little jealous?

Jealous, that'd be a no. Frustrated that a obvious novice "didnt know about replicas" and decided to kill it? More accurate.

But thanks for playing.

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

I have only seen one brown that size being caught. A teen age girl fishing with a Gastons guide caught a 26 pound fish on a salmon egg in six generators of water. I floated down with them to watch the show. The guide did a great job and the fight only took five or ten minutes. The girl wanted to release the fish, but it went belly up and could not be revived.

It seems a shame that the heroic size fish are so vulnerable. It would break my heart to have to kill a fish like that. Still, I am glad Rick caught the fish. I can imagine the story twenty years from now.

I love that the fish was caught on a spinning rig and on powerbait. It just goes to show you that a lot of fishing is luck and being in the right place at the right time. Plus it really gives me a tickle to see all the flyfishing purists get jealous. I say congrats to the guy on the trophy of a lifetime.

Jefly

Nice jab at the civilized fisherman :). Whether someone chooses to use a fly rod or spin tackle, a fish like this is still one in a million and in most cases the fish of a lifetime. The joy and excitement of a catching a 20+ pound fish can be shared through photos and replicas.

There simply is no reason that a fish like this shouldnt be returned to the water. Ignorance or greed would be at the top of my list of unacceptable reasons.

-Jerod