Natural Color Of Crawdads During Different Seasons

Fishin' Freak

I have been doing some thinking (not usually a good thing) and I am wanting to get some information from some of you who fish many more days a year than I do! What is the natural color of crawdads during each season--spring, summer, fall, and winter. I know back in July the crawdads on TR were so orange that they looked like a sweat potato. I was wondering what color the majority of crawdads tend to be during each season (green, brown, orange ect.) and do you guys think that the type of water--say muddy vs. clear has a drastic impact on their coloring? If you compare TR to LOZ or Truman do the crawdads vary in color or are they pretty much the same in all the Ozark region lakes? Any info is much appreciated!

Somewhere in the foggy recesses of my mind I have seen a seasonal color chart of crawdads maybe someone remembers better than I :hmmm:

To have a true friend is wonderful, to have a true friend who fishes with you....... priceless

I think alot of it has to do with the moon phase for the soft shell crawdad. They shed on or around full moon and the colors change. Or at least that has been my observation. The best color is a bright pink or red when they come out of a boiling pot of spicy shrimp boil!

Dennis Boothe

Joplin Mo.

For a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing

in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

~ Winston Churchill ~

• Members

Hey Freak,

There are a number of biological factors that can change the color of the "dads" in the water. Due to fluctuating acidity levels, available light and their food source, you will find different colors on the same day in different parts of the lake. I just try to catch a couple, and match as closely with what I have on hand. I also try to go outside of the natural colors, which will make mine stand out a bit from the live ones.

Let's say you catch one that is dark green. If you are fishing at night with a moon, try black with a green flake. If you are in sunlight, try pumpkin with a green flake.

I haven't fished the Rock for awhile, but have been doing better than good on LOZ using Larew Salt Craws in Pumpkin/Green Flake color. This pattern has held up for the last month. Also did pretty good using Yum Craw Papi in PB&J.

Hope this helps you.

Growler

I have been doing some thinking (not usually a good thing) and I am wanting to get some information from some of you who fish many more days a year than I do! What is the natural color of crawdads during each season--spring, summer, fall, and winter. I know back in July the crawdads on TR were so orange that they looked like a sweat potato. I was wondering what color the majority of crawdads tend to be during each season (green, brown, orange ect.) and do you guys think that the type of water--say muddy vs. clear has a drastic impact on their coloring? If you compare TR to LOZ or Truman do the crawdads vary in color or are they pretty much the same in all the Ozark region lakes? Any info is much appreciated!

Hey Fishin' Freak, You got some good answers there. I might add also that I have a publication I picked up free of charge at a show. It's titled An Introduction to the Crayfish of Missouri and is reprinted from Missouri Conservationist by Missouri Department of Conservation. It's very informative and you might even be able to view it online at their website.

Good Luck.

GETFISHED !!!

Growler: I am relatively new to fishing with the football jig and plastics. I have had some success catching smallies at a lake in KS, pulling it along the bottom. Although I have had some success early at Truman using crank baits, I have not caught a single largemouth on ther jig. Do you fish the jig on the bottom or do you jig it up and let it fall or do a slow retrieve off the bottom? Appreciate the advice.

• Members

Hey kcangler, I don't use a jig, I rig mine up Texas Rig style, with as light a weight as you can get away with. It's the way my dad did, so I do. In fact, it's my favorite way to bass fish, I find it so relaxing, I keep it up even when no fish are biting. I have been experimenting with more Carolina Rig fishing lately, seems to work just as well. I don't like jigs, because I like the fish to pull the line through the weight with as little resistance as possible.

Anyway, I like to keep in contact with the bottom as much as I can, with small pulls to "hop" it a bit. You've seen live craws scoot away when you try to catch them...well, just try to mimic that with your presentation. I like to fish mine v..e..r..y slow also. Takes alot of patience, especially when fishing deeper waters.

Another little thing I do on occasion, is just tap the slack line a couple of times. Don't even lift the bait off the bottom, lower your rod tip a bit, and raise it a couple of times just to the point where the line gets tight, but doesn't lift the bait. This just makes the bait wiggle a bit.

If you haven't had much practice with plastics, find some clear, shallower water, tie on a very bright bait that you can see, and experiment with the feel of the bait versus the action you give it. My dad always told me to try to imagine what the bait looks like while retreiving it. This goes clear back to 8 years old while learning to flyfish.

Best of luck

Growler

• 3 weeks later...
Not sure if this would help or not? :D

-

http://mdc.mo.gov/nathis/arthopo/crayfish/varcraw.htm

What a great resource! Thank you for posting the link!

We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.

The two best times to go fishing? When it is raining and when it is not.