Lets Talk Football Jigs

Ham

Don,

On the topic of rods, you mentioned:

-

..........Anywhere from 60 million to 75 million modules of graphite per inch...........

-

Do you (or anyone else) notice less sensitivity with a 2-piece rod?

-

I have always preferred one piece rods, but found a 2-piece on clearance, that I've been eyeing for a while, and it has a very high modules count. I'm just concerned with the 2-piece part of the equation. :huh:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fishing Buddy
Don,

On the topic of rods, you mentioned:

-

..........Anywhere from 60 million to 75 million modules of graphite per inch...........

-

Do you (or anyone else) notice less sensitivity with a 2-piece rod?

-

I have always preferred one piece rods, but found a 2-piece on clearance, that I've been eyeing for a while, and it has a very high modules count. I'm just concerned with the 2-piece part of the equation. :huh:

Motorman, that really depends on the rod. The 2-piece rods that I use I do not feel any difference at all.. The Ferrel on most will take care of the feel, just make sure when you put it together it holds tight.. Also try this one.. Take a small piece of line.. Say 6 pound test, tie it loose onto the last eye of the rod tip. Hold the rod in your hand and have someone flick the line on the tip you should feel the tick on that line with ease.. With my rods it feels like someone just hit your arm and you feel it all the way up into your shoulder.

Also watch out for other rods that claim high modules of graphite.. Alot only place the graphite from the butt to about 1/3 up the rod and that is it.. But it still has say 80 million modules. My rods go from Butt to tip with the graphite it makes a big differnece! I can even take a business card or a dollar bill and rub it across and feel the raised lines on the card or dollar bill!

The Days of IM rating are gone.. Ask how much grahite is in the rod from tip to butt.. I was talking to the group that builds the carrot stixs, they would not tell me, but after alittle proding I found out they have about 33 million modules and that is it. The best Loomis rods only have 60 million, but they are very light and that is because of the guides they use, they are only single foot guides, those will not hold up and are very small, you will hear alot of line noise when casting and if you bend one it is over has to be replaced..

Next checkout the warranty, make sure you can get it replaced without alot of hassle, most charge from 20 - 50 dollars for replacment that also includes shipping!! The best I have found are Falcon, Grandt, and St. Croix that is with no hassle replacement, sense G-Loomis sold out to oversea company it seems to be alot harder, but that is my opinion and you know the old saying about opinions, everyone has one..

I could write a whole book on this one, I was taught by a 2 time National Champion rod bulider, I was flown down to his plant in OK it was really neat to see how these guys were made, I mean the rod blank, wrapping, everything.. Really opened my eyes on rods.. Just make sure you feel good with the way it feels, the weight and put a reel on it make sure it balances out in your hand ok..

Good Luck and Good Fishing

Capt. Don

Capt. Don House
Branson Fishing Guide Service
Table Rock Lake and Taneycomo Lake
Branson MO

branson%20fishing%20guide%20service1.gif

Branson Fishing Guide Service Website

Pro Staff for G3 Boats, Yamaha Outboards, Humminbird Electronics, Minnkota Trolling Motors, Grandt Custom Rods, Ardent Reels, Seaguar, Berkley-Fishing

Capt Don,

Would you be willing to bring one of the Grandt rods to Hummingbird days......or would that mess with the general theme of other sponsor?

Tim Carpenter

• Fishing Buddy
Capt Don,

Would you be willing to bring one of the Grandt rods to Hummingbird days......or would that mess with the general theme of other sponsor?

No I will throw on e in the van.. You want to see spinning or casting??

Don

Capt. Don House
Branson MO

Pro Staff for G3 Boats, Yamaha Outboards, Humminbird Electronics, Minnkota Trolling Motors, Grandt Custom Rods, Ardent Reels, Seaguar, Berkley-Fishing

I'm still wondering about water temp and how low is too low to bother throwing the FB jig. The bites definitely got a lot more difficult for me to detect in 49' water, but that could just have been the fishes mood that one day. I've got a rod dedicated to the FB jig now and want more chances to use it.

Also I'm curious if folks have the FB jig as a part of their early Spring arsenal. I try to have general guidelines that help me decide what to try first: 40's and rising- Jerkbait ; 50 or so FB jig ; 53 rattletrap ; wart is 50-60 ; 56 spinnerbait ; > 60 soft plastics come into play

Bueler ? Bueler ?

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish

• Fishing Buddy
I'm still wondering about water temp and how low is too low to bother throwing the FB jig. The bites definitely got a lot more difficult for me to detect in 49' water, but that could just have been the fishes mood that one day. I've got a rod dedicated to the FB jig now and want more chances to use it.

Also I'm curious if folks have the FB jig as a part of their early Spring arsenal. I try to have general guidelines that help me decide what to try first: 40's and rising- Jerkbait ; 50 or so FB jig ; 53 rattletrap ; wart is 50-60 ; 56 spinnerbait ; > 60 soft plastics come into play

Bueler ? Bueler ?

Ham, that bite really starts to die at the mid 50's and below.. It seems the fish really start to get active for moving baits at that temp for them it is time to get fat for the winter. That is why the wart get so good in the mid 50's, Then after that we get into the spoon and stickbait bite from the high 40's and below. Springtime that Jig bite is there but with alot smaller jigs, you must have a slower presentation and a slower fall..

Let's see what other have to say about this one..

Good Fishing

Don

Capt. Don House
Branson MO

Don,

I shot you a message with a few questions re: rods, I didn't want to pull this thread any farther off topic than I already had. :D

-

(and for you grammer freaks; yes I realize I ended that sentence with a preposition.................I think :P )

• Fishing Buddy
I cant seem to find the # of modules/inch in the Falcon Lowrider Eakin jig rod. Does anyone know the # and are the modules from butt to tip?

Flippin, don't quote me but I think they are around 45-55 million modules per inch.. May be hard to find that answer, but really alot of these rod companies do not want you to know that information or keep it quite. Alot use lower Graphite levels to balance out price of the blank and keep the over all cost of the rod down. Ask is all you can do..

Good Fishing

Capt. Don

Capt. Don House
Branson MO