maps

dougie815

• Members

My family and I are coming down to Indiana Point April 2-8th. Is there anywhere close to get a lake map. Or maybe online? I seen the one offered here. I would like to get a full size though. Also, my son and I are going to do some major crappie fishing. We are renting a bass tracker. Anywhere close to catch em?

Fishing Hot Spots, and Structure Graphics both make good lake maps, you would have to purchase a couple of them to get the whole lake as it is broken into sections. They can be purchased locally at many locations (tackle stores. convenience stores, etc) or ordered on line from many sources.

SKMO

"A True Fisherman with a Rod in His hand, and a Tug on the Line, would not Trade His Position for the Throne of Any King"

Doug you can buy good maps at any Wal-Mart here, or at Bass Pro if you happen to stop there on the way in. You'll probably want the "East" map. Pay close attention to the lake level, its very low so you'll have to adjust for fishing and safety.

You should find Crappie without much trouble. There are some coves on the East side of Indian that produce, and I would imagine on the west side also.

Today's release is tomorrows gift to another fisherman.

• Members

sounds great....what are the problems with the lake levels? we have low lakes here in indiana..no big deal...what am i going to run into over by indian point area? should i venture to the white?

also, how long of a ride is it to the white where the crappie are kicking?

sounds great....what are the problems with the lake levels? we have low lakes here in indiana..no big deal...what am i going to run into over by indian point area? should i venture to the white?

also, how long of a ride is it to the white where the crappie are kicking?

Problem is that with the lake almost 11 feet low there are some rocks and trees presenting hazards that are usually not a problem this time of year. The main lake channels are generally OK, just don't cut too close to points or flats. The side coves are another matter, some are OK but many are full of trees so operate slow until you get a feel for the places you are in. Hopefully you won't "run into" anything around IP!

Not sure how to answer the white river and crappie questions. Technically the water going by IP is the White River channel so you are already there. It's about 15 miles from IP to where the White and James come together, and an additional 17 miles to Shell Knob if that is any help.

You are a lot closer to some good crappie spots on Long Creek, only about 8 miles from the 86 bridge, once you pass the bridge you'll find more than a weeks worth of crappie fishing water.

Also, although the "hot bite" EARLY is generally way up the major tribs (Kings, White, James, Long) the bite is improving every day in hundreds of coves and cuts from one end of the lake to the other. Wherever you end up fishing if there are no shallow spawners, just cast out the other side of the boat as they will be hanging around the first drop-off or row of deep trees, which become kind of like crappie single's bars.

I imagine the boys chatting up the girls with pick-up lines such as "what's a nice sow like you doing in a brushpile like this"?, or "haven't I met you somewhere before, maybe that gravel bar by Mill Creek...or did we school together"? and "why don't we blow this cedar tree and I'll show you this great little gravel patch I know about. Why SURE you can bring a couple of your girlfriends"!

I think such an imagination helps tp pass the times on slow fishin days, but my wife says I am just wierd.

SKMO

"A True Fisherman with a Rod in His hand, and a Tug on the Line, would not Trade His Position for the Throne of Any King"

Good information by SKMO. The problem with the lake level is that the Corp puts warning bouys up at areas that are dangerous at normal pool, or close to it. The lake is much lower and they don't put bouys up to warn of trouble spots.

Today's release is tomorrows gift to another fisherman.

• Members

Hey dougie815,

That's why I posted my warning on lake levels. Not to scare you, but as you've just read it is a dangerous thing, just use your head. I know about those Indiana lakes drawned down to winter pool, I've fished them in the late fall and winter, and early spring, trust me they're nothing like the Rock. Invest in a good topo map - Structure Graphics is my favorite, look at normal pool and realize the current level - right now somewhere around 904.5! You got to be careful! Now all said, good fishing to you!

petertherock