#1 duckydoty

duckydoty

Highfin Carpsucker

• OAF Fishing Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing, Fly Tying, Duck Hunting, Wood Working

Posted 24 January 2009 - 01:31 PM

Anybody heard where some hogs might be lately. I've been thinking about getting out and doing some handgun hunting. I haven't heard any reports about any for a while now, but I'm sure they are still out there.
A Little Rain Won't Hurt Them Fish.....They're Already Wet!!
Visit my website at..
Ozark Trout Runners
Posted Image

#2 duckydoty

duckydoty

Highfin Carpsucker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 02:34 PM

Accourding to the MDC the hogs have an established population in Stone and Barry County between Shell Knob and Cape Fair on Forrest Service lands around Piney Creek, Wolley Creek and Flat Creek drainages. There is also an established population that has been seen between Table Rock Lake and Hwy 86. Taney County has a reported population between Hercules and Fairview on Forest Service land in the Big Creek Drainage.
Anybody see any sign of hogs in these areas lately? Anybody have any prospective ideas on where to incounter some hogs on public land in these areas?
Visit my website at..
Ozark Trout Runners
Posted Image

#3 BadKarma

BadKarma

Black Bullhead

• Fishing Buddy
  • Pip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Warm water flyfishing and tying. Carp, 'gills and smallies.

Posted 24 January 2009 - 04:08 PM

I live in Eastern Taney and always hear that they are around the Glade Top area, but every time I go over there all I find is sign but no hogs. Been like that for 3 years. What I think is happening is the good ol boys are busting the piggies before saying anything.

If you need a partner, hollar at me, I have a TC Contender with a .35 Rem barrel just itching to pop a piggie!!!!
Don't worry about life, your not going to survive it anyway. Go fishing instead.

#4 duckydoty

duckydoty

Highfin Carpsucker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 04:26 PM

I'd be more than happy to have a partner in this adventure. I've been researching the Piney Creek Wilderness area and think the Siloam Springs Hollow area might be good also. Have to wait till Monday to call the National Forest office and the MDC regional office for that area to see if there have been any reports lately in that area.
My brother has hunted ferrel hogs before and accourding to him they hide better than rabbits and hold a lot tighter than rabbits. Most of the time you will walk right by them and not even know it. He said they would litterally have to jump up and down on log piles for 10 minutes before the hog would flush out.
If you have found sign in the Glad Top area, we might need to go over there. A group of 3 or 4 people might be an advantage also. Better chances of flushing one. The Big Creek drainage is supposed to harbor hogs also. Any public access that you know of in that area?
Visit my website at..
Ozark Trout Runners
Posted Image

#5 BKB

BKB

Bigmouth Buffalo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Love fishing for Trout and Smallmouth in Ozark Steams!<br /><br />A novice flyfisher...I'm learning as I go!

Posted 24 January 2009 - 05:38 PM

On the Missouri Dept of Conservation TV show on public access a few weeks ago, they did a story about wild hog hunting...said the largest concentrations of hog in MO are right around the Lake Wapapello area.

#6 Wayne SW/MO

Wayne SW/MO

Old MFU Fishermen

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,008 posts
  • Interests:Smallmouth and flows. Trout, carp, temperates, if it swims.

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:55 PM

A couple of years ago a fellow that owned land backing up to the BS flood pool told me he had a problem. He seemed reluctant say to much because he had apparently had problems with 4 wheelers in the past. I believe he was in the Protem area.
Today's release is tomorrows gift to another fisherman.

#7 brownieman

brownieman

Skipjack Herring

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:21 PM

I don't know for a fact but have heard there are decent numbers of hogs on some of the land within Ft. Leanard Wood.
In the past I know parts of the fort allow hunting...not sure on any regulations on fort land. A few of my friends used to bird hunt some over there and encountered some hogs.
Like I said I know very little about it but may be worth your time to make a call and check it out.

bm
My friends say I'm a douche bag ??
bm <><

#8 troutchaser

troutchaser

Longear Sunfish

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, fly fishing, bird hunting, camping, bushcraft, travel, backpacking, running, and reading/watching Westerns.

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:14 PM

I can promise there are hogs near the fort. I've hunted them with a friend living in Waynesville.

Hunting hogs is a blast, man. Can't say I've ever done it with a handgun, though.
Paul Rone

#9 duckydoty

duckydoty

Highfin Carpsucker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:19 PM

Did you hunt on the Fort or just near it? The latest report that I have received about the hogs is that a 350 lb russian boar was killed during deer season by Stockton.
Visit my website at..
Ozark Trout Runners
Posted Image

#10 troutchaser

troutchaser

Longear Sunfish

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, fly fishing, bird hunting, camping, bushcraft, travel, backpacking, running, and reading/watching Westerns.

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:42 PM

We weren't actually inside the fort boundaries. We were on some private land to the North.

I heard about that hog in Stockton, too. I haven't been able to verify it with anyone yet, though.
Paul Rone

#11 duckydoty

duckydoty

Highfin Carpsucker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:07 PM

We weren't actually inside the fort boundaries. We were on some private land to the North.

I heard about that hog in Stockton, too. I haven't been able to verify it with anyone yet, though.

I got my info about the hog through the South West Regional Office of the MDC there in Springfield.
Visit my website at..
Ozark Trout Runners
Posted Image

#12 troutchaser

troutchaser

Longear Sunfish

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:00 PM

I got mine from the Barber Shop. :P
Paul Rone

#13 billynwtf

billynwtf

Bigmouth Quillback

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:Flyfishing ,hunting

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:42 AM

Wappello still has hogs but they are very hard to hunt and lots of hunting pressure. Hunt down both sides of hwy KK and look for signs and wallows. The MDC has lots of little water hole ponds get a map and locate them. If the hogs have been using them back off and climb a tree and just wait them out. It has to be hot and the hotter the better. Pay close attention to the wind because these hogs are very very smart. Anything goes except night hunting and no tags are needed even for out of staters. Good luck.

#14 ddhlakebound

ddhlakebound

Chestnut Lamprey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:58 AM

Hi everybody...

I found this forum last night while trying to find more/better info on where to get on some hogs on public land in sw mo. Even knowing some areas they've been found in it's very difficult (for me anyway) to get on a live wild hog.

I can confirm the large black boar shot on the banks of Stockton lake in the 2008 deer season. I was on the lake bank on the other side of the cove when the boat came in with the boar on it. We jumped in our trucks instantly and drove around to get a close up look.

My best guesstimate of the weight was around 300 lbs. I was one of six guys who helped hang the beast, and it was huge. I've got a pic on my cell phone of the hanging boar, and a closeup of the tusks. It was shot in one of the areas listed on the MDC web page as having a pig population.

I'll have to see if I can email the pic to myself to be able to post a photo here.

I've hunted the banks of Stockton for years, and I've only ever seen one live (small) hog, and it vanished like a ghost in the distance at a very slight rustle. I've also found a medium sized hog skull that was apparently killed by goose hunters. The skull has a few embedded bb's, and it was found about 3/4 of a mile north of were a goose blind was located at that time. Thats my best guess about the skulls history immediately before it's demise.

It seems to me that the only 2 ways of killing hogs with any consistency at all are to spend alot of time and money to get a few bait sites warmed up, or to spend alot of time and money developing a pack of bay dogs. Anybody got a less expensive/difficult way to get on the pigs?

#15 billynwtf

billynwtf

Bigmouth Quillback

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:Flyfishing ,hunting

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:07 AM

I have found you can even the odds by hunting when it is hot. I mean very hot,find a well used wallow and climb a tree and wait. At some point in the day they will come and use the wallow. Back away a hundred yards and pay attention to the wind. It has worked for me more than once.

#16 zander

zander

Longnose Gar

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:34 AM

When I used to hunt them regularly was when I lived down in Louisiana. Of course there are a ton of hogs down there, unlike here thank goodness. There were two main ways I would hunt them if I didn't have my cur dog with me. First is I would go deer hunting. You are guaranteed to see nothing but hogs when you are going out for deer down there. The second way though is less frustrating and takes less time. I would simply go out to different types of pipeline right of ways or telephone pole right of ways and walk them. Sooner or later I'd top a ridge and down below me would be a group of pigs feeding. If there were no pigs seen from the top of one ridge you can walk fast until you get to the top of the next ridge and then creep up to where you can look over, then repeat until you pop a pig.

We only shot little sows 100 lbs or less. They taste better in my opinion and are easier to pack out of there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

count web page traffic
XM Satellite Radio