Jig Rod

I like the bass pro Micro Lite 6'6" http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...0002000_100-2-2 but they are usually not one piece. Occasionally you can find them on sale for $29. Regular price $45. There are more expensive rods out there and this is the one that Zig Jigs recommend http://zigjig.net/cf%20rods.htm , but be prepared to drop some dough. I myself don't like to invest in anything more than I am willing to lose to the river or lake and you'll have $60-$75 in nice equipment, or $200-$250 in top of the line.

• Root Admin

Like I said in my article- I have a rod made in Harrison, AR that I think is perfect for jig fishing. I have a 6" and a 6'6". One piece.

$49.95

Lilleys Landing logo 150.jpg

My preference is a 5-5 1/2 footer with a stiff spine or backbone and a really sensitive tip. one piece of course.

"you can always beat the keeper, but you can never beat the post"

There are only three things in life that are certain : death, taxes, and the wind blowing at Capps Creek!

• Members
Anyone have and suggestion for a good quality jig rod for trout . Thinking of 6ft - 7ft 1 piece Thanks

I've used a few different jig rods and have found a jig rod that in my opinion (which may not mean much) is the best that I've ever fished with. It's a new line of rod that you get to build online. www.g2rods.com Their trout jig rods run anywhere from $70 - $180... you pick the price as you build it to your liking. Used it today (6'6" Ultra-light) AND a G. Loomis SR720 and I caught more fish on the g2 rod using the exact same line and jig. I'll be honest with you, I'm on g2's pro-staff and could be giving you a line to sell these rods, but for what it's worth, I was on G. Loomis pro-staff for 10 years... left them and went to g2 and am thankful I did.

My preference is a 5-5 1/2 footer with a stiff spine or backbone and a really sensitive tip. one piece of course.

Thats my choice too. Falkon ultra light 5 1/2 ft $89. I bought a new Falcon ultra light 6 ft. and the tip is too soft for my liking. With that 5 1/2 footer you can feel them them if they just look at it!!

Dennis Boothe

Joplin Mo.

For a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing

in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

~ Winston Churchill ~

• Root Admin

The guys who makes my rods make some of Falcon's too.

I used to have 5'6" rods made but I sell alot more 6'. The 6' is really 5'9" anyhow.

Lilleys Landing logo 150.jpg

Just don't go short. I love small jig fishing and I love rods at the 6'- 7' light - medium light range. Prefer one piece rods too. You don't need to spend a fortune but then again don't buy the cheaper ones either. Usually the guides are junk on the cheap ones. I have three favorites in this category and one of them you wouldn't believe. Bass Pro Bionic Blade 6' light , St Croix 6'6"med-light, and behold a Sears Ted Williams 7' fiberglass that kicks butt. My wife bought the Ted Williams years ago at a garage sale for me. Hated it then (didn't tell her that) because graphite was the new thing. Long story short, 30+ years later it's still one of my favorites for jig fishing. Bit heavier than composite rods but what a sweet action and tough as a rocks.

• Members

My favorites for jigging are Falcon and TFO. Drifting in fast current, the 6'6" med lt action TFO works best for me just because it is a faster action, and takes less motion to set the hook. When Im casting in slow or still water, I prefer the 6' Falcon ultralight or the 6' TFO light action. TFO customer service is hard to beat, and the price is about the same as the Falcon. (I just got a brand new 6'6" ml 3 pc in the mail to replace the one my dog stepped on and broke just above the 2nd guide, no questions asked.) The Falcons are one pc, the TFO's are avail in 2 or 3 pc. Sometimes, it's nice to have a really good rod you can fit in your suitcase. Jig fishing Roaring River from the bank, using micro jigs, I like my 5' Falcon ul. I've worn out several shimano 500 axuls reels with this rod, it seems to be indestructible.

In the end, it is all about feel, confidence, and what you catch fish on.

Jim