Lake Erie Walleye

Dad and I are heading up to Lake Erie for a week (April 24th - May 1st) of walleye and yellow perch fishing. This will be my first time up there so needless to say I am EXTREMELY excited!!! Anyone been up there before? Any good fishing stories, hints, tips? We will be launching out of the Port Clinon, Ohio area.

We are planning a trip as well at the end of the summer to Lake Michigan for some king salmon fishing. I am thrilled to finally make it up to the Great Lakes. We got the new Starcraft all decked out and ready for some big water -- those fish better watch out! :lol:

Sam

• 3 weeks later...

Well we had a great trip -- The boat did great. We even got into some 6ft waves and she rode them out perfectly.

Ended up catching around 65 keeper walleye, some white bass, some BIG smallies, and a bunch of sheepheads (drum?)

Trip of a lifetime ...

The walleye ranged from 3-6lbs, all males. The weather didnt allow us to get out further to fish for the big females -- next time hopefully.

post-1000-1241659149_thumb.jpg

post-1000-1241659167_thumb.jpg

post-1000-1241659184_thumb.jpg

post-1000-1241659214_thumb.jpg

post-1000-1241659266_thumb.jpg

post-1000-1241659283_thumb.jpg

post-1000-1241659368_thumb.jpg

post-1000-1241659382_thumb.jpg

post-1000-1241659498_thumb.jpg

I can remember, as a boy, reading articles about how bad the pollution was in Erie and how it had killed the fishery. Obviously, the changes made to reduce the pollution problem has had some success. Look at the number of boats in that picture. Despite that you had a fabulous trip.

Fantastic.

I can remember, as a boy, reading articles about how bad the pollution was in Erie and how it had killed the fishery. Obviously, the changes made to reduce the pollution problem has had some success. Look at the number of boats in that picture. Despite that you had a fabulous trip.

Fantastic.

Yeah they have made some serious changes and improvements and the lake has really turned out awesome. If you get out a few miles, the water is emerald clear. I believe the numbers on walleye for 2008 were 67 million, and perch was around 150 million. They seem to be doing great in there!

We tried to stay away from the pack of boats most of the time -- found our own fish. It was a spectacle though to see 500 boats stacked up fishing like that.

I threw together a video of the trip

That looks like a good time. I went up there last year and found some good smallie and pike fishing, but without a boat, I couldn't find the walleye.

Glad you had a good time.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

As much as these have caused problems they have also helped to clean up the Great Lakes, they have cleaned up Lake Mich., as well as Erie, the Small mouth and walleye, yes walleye in Lake Mich. and Erie are doing great. Lake Mich is starting to show good numbers of walleye, hopefully it will continue to grow.

Heres a little article I found.

Tom

Non-native mussels and mollusks have also caused turmoil in the food chain. In 1988, zebra mussels were inadvertently introduced to Lake St. Clair, and quickly spread throughout the Great Lakes and into many inland lakes, rivers, and canals. Since then, they have caused severe problems at power plants and municipal water supplies, clogging intake screens, pipes, and cooling systems. They have also nearly eliminated the native clam population in the ecosystem.