Night Fishing Under Lights?

troutgnat

Gentlemen,

Wondering what others are seeing and experiencing night fishing under lights. I went several evenings ago and we anchored off a bluff end next to the channel swing. Front of boat in 65' and back in 30' of water. One starlite over the side and down about 3' and one overhead light (modified heat lamp) shining down into the water. We had two gill nets down for shad but never caught a one. We had a lot of schooling shad around the light but they were babies. Never had any in any quanity large enough to get caught in the net. So, we never had any shad to fish with. We were prepared and had shiners and minnows but never had a bite! Caught a few fish on jigs mainly small whites, two nice crappie and a 18" walleye to boot. But overall very, very slow!!!!

Anybody have any reports or recommendations? Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Darren Sadler "Fishing is an Education...Often the fish 'school' me, yet I do not complain. I just keep going to class!"

For some reason the night fishing has not been that good this year.There is a great early morning top water bite for bass but it is over by 7:30am most days.If you need bait you can use your nets around the docks at the Henderson boat dock.There has been huge pods of bait fish there.

jerkbait-sig.jpg

• Members

Just got back yesterday. Fishing was great at night never stayed past 10:30 but did not need to. I was fishing for walleye caught my limit between 7:30-10:30. Everything was in less then 20 foot of water on reef runners with lots of color in it mostly bright like yellows pinks, purples, blues. Trolled between 2.6-3.0 mph and hooked on everypass. My biggest was a 24.5 chunky wally. Bass up the butt and believe it or not a 14" crappie all caught by reef's. Now that I am back I don't care about tellin my spot of succes so I fished at Cow Point and trolled to the docks. Hummingbird resort cove produced lots of fish (mostly crappie). Took a ride to the dam for day caught a couple of nice walleye 19's 20's off of koso point across from the dam in 30 fwo. No stripers tried everything. Hope this helps. Tom

Just got back yesterday. Fishing was great at night never stayed past 10:30 but did not need to. I was fishing for walleye cauy limit between 7:30-10:30. Everything was in less then 20 foot of water on reef runners with lots of color in it mostly bri tripght like yellows pinks, purples, blues. Trolled between 2.6-3.0 mph and hooked on everypass. My biggest was a 24.5 chunky wally. Bass up the butt and believe it or not a 14" crappie all caught by reef's. Now that I am back I don't care about tellin my spot of succes so I fished at Cow Point and trolled to the docks. Hummingbird resort cove produced lots of fish (mostly crappie). Took a ride to the dam for day caught a couple of nice walleye 19's 20's off of koso point across from the dam in 30 fwo. No stripers tried everything. Hope this helps. Tom

Tom,

thanks for the word. I'm on a 10 day stretch at work now so might be a bit before I can get back. Congrads on your trip!

Darren Sadler "Fishing is an Education...Often the fish 'school' me, yet I do not complain. I just keep going to class!"

Which size reef's were you using? Did you run them out on planers? Did you have to add any weights to get the depth you wanted?

Sounds like you guys had a great time...congrats on the awesome trip, and thanks for the info!!

SK

• Members
Which size reef's were you using? Did you run them out on planers? Did you have to add any weights to get the depth you wanted?

Sounds like you guys had a great time...congrats on the awesome trip, and thanks for the info!!

SK

No planers, no weights just off each side of the boat. I don't know the size but I was hitting the bottom in 20' of water. It seemed as it would piss them off when it was tapping the bottom on those big rocks by cow. I was using 6 pound fluro with roughly 150' of line. Also using Hot n Tots. Silver with black top when it was a full moon and smashed them on it. I tried the planers out but it did not work for me. I stayed right over them watching the fish finder and keeping me in the right depth.

Hey man thanks again. We are going to give it a try this weekend -- I think we have plenty of baits to try. I know there are some huge walleye hiding in there...did you try any daytime fishing or was it all at night?