4th Of July Float-

GloryDaze

Well, me and a buddy decided to try the Rockhouse to Trigger Gap section on the 4th of July even though we knew the water level was low. It was a decent float, but the fishing was sloooowwwwwww- not just for us but we ran into a group of 5 guys that claimed they were having a tough time of it as well.

This was a new experience for me as the water was so shallow I wasn't sur where to fish- the riffles weren't deep enough, I think, and the pools were long, slow and shallow. We did catch a few dinks no bigger than 10" but that was it. As we got closer to Trigger Gap the water started looking way more fishable as it got deeper and th riffles were wider as well. When we pulled into Trigger Gap I read the sign for the Blue Ribbon Section from Trigger Gap to Hwy 62- darn.. oh well, didn't have time for that float. Guess I'll just have to come back.

It rained and thundered hard for about 3 hours along the way- not pretty but it sure beat the hell out of workin! Floating on the 4th also made me appreciate the fact that I can have the freedom to float these streams and well, not every country is as great as ours... I was pretty darn proud to be an American !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Follow me on Twitter @DazeGlory

Thanks for the report GD... wife and I are (or was) leaving on the 18th for an Arkansas trip. Were gonna float the Kings on that exact float you made after seeing z-hoyts post on this forum. Was then heading over to the Buffalo. I've caught some nice fish downstream from there portaging ourselves, floating into Table Rock. Maybe I should just stay in Missouri. Plenty of spring water this side of the border. I enjoy your posts and pics...

KC

By the way, my Jacks Fork trip was bad fishin' by my standards. But... I was on the river! ;)

HUMAN RELATIONS MANAGER @ OZARK FISHING EXPEDITIONS

Floating the blue ribbon section last week would have been more of a hike..... ;) That is a great section of water with plenty of big ole fish. Water was down pretty low though. The closer you get to Table Rock, the deeper it will get....similiar to the lower Buffalo. Thanks for the report. The Kings is a very nice river and very scenic. Most of the time during lower water situations like that, the fish are holding tight to boulders and outcroppings. The current will eat our around these structures and make holes or "holding spots" for fish. This keeps them out of the sun and out of dangers path. Feeding fish are an easy trget for a blue herring or the like, during the low water periods. The fish tend to hang low and wait till dusk or night cover to fill their bellies.

Zack Hoyt

OAF Contributor

Flies, Lies, and Other Diversions

Makes sense on the fising Z- It was just hard to even identify those spots because I've never floated that shallow. I knew form your warning the water was pretty low, but feel like I wore the bottom of my boat out dragging. I really want to float the upper section with all of the bluffs- it looks great.

By the way, I drove right through Pea Ridge on my way to the lake house we stayed at last weekend- what's up with the military park there, it looks pretty interesting??

KC- Did you float the Upper Jacks or the Lower? I should have a few pics in a day or so- we didn't take many since it poured rain and there weren't exactly many fish to capture. I'm jealous about you hittin' the Buffalo- This fall I am waiting for a good rain and making a "spur of the moment" trip to the Upper Buffalo (Boxley-Kyle's) Or the Mulberry with my buddies Russ and Jean Ann over at Hog Heaven.

Follow me on Twitter @DazeGlory

GD... floated the lower three miles from Shawnee Creek to the Current the first two days. I've caught some really nice fish down there but the best we could do were 14 inchers this trip. Took us around ten hours both days. We fished hard, weren't in the canoe much. :P My buddy with me had never floated the Alley to Eminence stretch so on day three we did that. People everywhere! We couldn't shake 'em... and this was on a Monday. I got skunked on smallmouth, just a couple of goggleye. My buddy resorted to nightcrawlers and caught a few dinks and lots of longears. Never had been skunked on the JF before. Hope that doesn't happen again! :angry:

KC

HUMAN RELATIONS MANAGER @ OZARK FISHING EXPEDITIONS

Pea Ridge was the site of one of the more significant civil war battles in Arkansas. It was mainly a Missouri based Union army versus several militia type Arkansas units. To understand the engagement you have to envision it as the land was then - cultivated and more open. Neat stop if you have time.