Coffee Bean Beetle

Watch out in fly only areas. Likely considered natural bait...

Which reminds me that I need to invent the trout chow beetle fly and prepare my argument that it meets the "any material" tied to a hook criteria...It's gonna revolutionize the sport.

• 2 years later...

Good point 3wt. I hadn't thought about that. Anyone out there know someone that could possibly give us a ruling on this?

John

Good question, I'd like to know as well. I tied a few of these but haven't yet tried them as I always seem to not make it to Taney when the Japanese Beetles are in.

Carry out what you carry in...

Good question, I'd like to know as well. I tied a few of these but haven't yet tried them as I always seem to not make it to Taney when the Japanese Beetles are in.

I'd say if you put a coat of laquer on it you'ld probably be good. I think it would be tough to count it as natural bait if you prevent any extractable oils or flavors to come out of it.

In waters designated fly fishing only, a fly shall be constructed on a single point hook of feathers, tinsel, chenille, yarn, fur, silk, rayon or nylon thread or floss, with or without a spinner

A coffee bean doesn't really fall into any of those categories...

-- Jim

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -- Doug Larson