#1 yummysmokedham

yummysmokedham

Banded Pygmy Sunfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing, Storm Chasing,

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:51 AM

I recently purchased my Arkansas Trout and Fishing Permits and am looking at places to fish not too far from home. I fished the other day on the Beaver Dam Tailwaters and went down to Mountain View, AR and fished the white on Labor Day. I noticed in the Trout Fishing Guide posted on the Fish and Game Commission website that it lists Spavinaw Creek in Benton County as a Catch and Release trout fishery. I have done some searching online for information about fishing this creek and have not found any good information on it. I found it on a map, near Gravette AR. Has anyone here done much fishing on it? I am guessing that since its catch and release only that its not stocked. Looking for any pointers when it comes to fishing this stream and any good access points for wade fishing it. Thanks in advance.

#2 Zack Hoyt

Zack Hoyt

Beaver Tailwater, Kings River

• OAF Fishing Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Interests:Guidung fly and spin fishing trips, rowing a drift boat,
    tying flies, hiking, photography

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:19 AM

This might open a can of worms.....

The section the AGFC lists is actually a private section help by a rather elite group. They charge you a fee to have "access to some of the best private waters in teh nation". If I want to catch stocker trout I will go to the Tailwaters below Beaver.

I have fished Spavinaw but it is mainly wamr water and very water dependent. Good smallie and panfish action. The closer you get to the Ok line, the deeper, and better the fishing gets.

Have you looked into the various smallmouth streams locally? Kings, Elk, Indian Creek, Upper White, Buffalo, etc.....
Zack Hoyt
OAF Contributor

Flies, Lies, and Other Diversions

#3 yummysmokedham

yummysmokedham

Banded Pygmy Sunfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:31 PM

This might open a can of worms.....

The section the AGFC lists is actually a private section help by a rather elite group. They charge you a fee to have "access to some of the best private waters in teh nation". If I want to catch stocker trout I will go to the Tailwaters below Beaver.

I have fished Spavinaw but it is mainly wamr water and very water dependent. Good smallie and panfish action. The closer you get to the Ok line, the deeper, and better the fishing gets.

Have you looked into the various smallmouth streams locally? Kings, Elk, Indian Creek, Upper White, Buffalo, etc.....

Thanks for the info, I am specifically looking at trout streams. Lots of warm water around here in Southwest MO.

#4 Zack Hoyt

Zack Hoyt

• PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:48 PM

On the Arkansas side there is pretty much none. You have the Beaver Tailwaters over here and thats about it. Afew up your way in SWMO, but I am sure you hit them. What did you think of Beaver? What waters have you already hit or are already aware of?

Check out the Fly Fishermans Guide to Arkansas and Missouri next time you get a chance. Lots of info there as well as the Home Waters book by Mr Berry.
Zack Hoyt
OAF Contributor

#5 yummysmokedham

yummysmokedham

Banded Pygmy Sunfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:21 PM

Here in MO I usually fly fish Capps Creek, Taneycomo, and Roaring River. I have been to Crane Creek a few times as well. I have just started fishing in AR, my Girlfriend lives in Fayetteville so I am usually down there every other weekend or so. The only places I have fished in AR so far is the White River near Mountain View, AR and the Beaver Tailwaters earlier this week. I did not even know about the Beaver Tailwaters until I read the Arkansas Trout Guide here a couple of weeks ago preparing for my trip to Mountain View. I fish pretty heavily at roaring river and now that I know about the Beaver Tailwaters and the fact that its only about a 30 minute drive south of Cassville I will be fishing there quite a bit. I did not have much luck when I at Beaver the other day, but that was basically my fault cause I did not come prepared. Next time I will have my waders. The water was extremely clear when I was there on Tuesday. I did the majority of my fishing from the boat ramp at the Bertrand Access.

#6 Zack Hoyt

Zack Hoyt

• PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:43 PM

Fly fishing or spincast?

I would move closer to the dam. There are fish down at Bertrand, but not as many as closer to the dam. Of course there are a few more anglers there as well. Here are some accesses in order going down stream. Remember the No Bait Zone goes from the Bathouse to Parker(no live, scented, etc).

Dam Site Ramp
http://maps.google.c.......mp;t=h&z=18

Bathouse Access

Turn Around or Cane Break Access

Parker Bottoms Access

Bertrand Access

Hope that kinda helps you get a little more familiar with the water. I live in Pea Ridge, so it is just a hop, skip, and jump for me.
Zack Hoyt
OAF Contributor

#7 yummysmokedham

yummysmokedham

Banded Pygmy Sunfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:14 PM

Fly fishing or spincast?

I would move closer to the dam. There are fish down at Bertrand, but not as many as closer to the dam. Of course there are a few more anglers there as well. Here are some accesses in order going down stream. Remember the No Bait Zone goes from the Bathouse to Parker(no live, scented, etc).

Dam Site Ramp

Bathouse Access

Turn Around or Cane Break Access

Parker Bottoms Access

Bertrand Access

Hope that kinda helps you get a little more familiar with the water. I live in Pea Ridge, so it is just a hop, skip, and jump for me.

Thanks for the info, I usually will start out with the fly rod and if nothing is happening there I will switch to my spinning rod.

#8 chub minnow

chub minnow

Golden Shiner

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:31 AM

The catch and release section of the Spavinaw above Hwy 59 is almost unfishable and is completely private. Closer to the state line however, there are a few places to access at state bridges. As you work your way up the bank from either of these you will soon come across no trespassing signs. This is the SVA and I wouldn't advise trespassing. Why bother though? There are plenty of huge bows right below the bridge. They may be stockers, but I'm not complaining. I have landed several fish over 20" down there and haven't seen many smaller than that. Some of these big fish have been there a while and fight like a wild trout. Plus they are really hungry living in this small stream. It takes some work to find 'em without trespassing, but it is well worth it.

Please be conscious of this precious resource though. Practice catch and release and don't overplay the fish when the water is too warm which will kill them. Have fun finding them... it took me about three years before I was really able to find and catch 'em down there. Don't forget that it is mainly private property down there. Respect that and you'll be fine.

#9 chub minnow

chub minnow

Golden Shiner

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:37 AM

Or you can always ante up and fish in the thick of it -- anybody got $160,000.00 I can borrow?

http://thespavinawcreekranch.com/

#10 ColeM.

ColeM.

Black Bullhead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:38 PM

PM Sent!

#11 catman

catman

Gizzard Shad

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:12 PM

A close friend owns all the property below the boys that have the little trout club on Spavinaw creek, I go over in the late spring when the flooding rains come and blow all their big trout down to his property, 2 miles of Spavinaw creek run through his property. Always big trout all in the 4 lbs plus.
I was born at night, but not last night.
Odds are with the prepared...

#12 txspecks04

txspecks04

Bluegill

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 11:09 AM

A close friend owns all the property below the boys that have the little trout club on Spavinaw creek, I go over in the late spring when the flooding rains come and blow all their big trout down to his property, 2 miles of Spavinaw creek run through his property. Always big trout all in the 4 lbs plus.

Just curious, is that in OK or AR? I have actually talked with the guys that run the club on Spavinaw and I think they have about six miles of it (if I remember right); I know that it starts in AR somewhere, but I am not sure if it ends at the state line or goes further on to OK. Either way, you are a lucky man to have access to that stream...there are some REALLY nice fish in there.

#13 catman

catman

Gizzard Shad

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:44 AM

Just curious, is that in OK or AR? I have actually talked with the guys that run the club on Spavinaw and I think they have about six miles of it (if I remember right); I know that it starts in AR somewhere, but I am not sure if it ends at the state line or goes further on to OK. Either way, you are a lucky man to have access to that stream...there are some REALLY nice fish in there.

Here's one from spring of 09

Posted Image
I was born at night, but not last night.
Odds are with the prepared...

#14 chub minnow

chub minnow

Golden Shiner

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 03:46 PM

Yep, about an average fish for the Spavinaw. For those wondering, the best fishing is a few miles above and below the 43 bridge. Unless you know someone, good luck with any kind of access. I guess that's why they stay so big. My best at Spavinaw (on the fly):

#15 chub minnow

chub minnow

Golden Shiner

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 03:52 PM

txspecks - The trout club ends just up from the 43 bridge, I believe.

#16 remi74

remi74

Black Bullhead

• Fishing Buddy
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:52 PM

If SVA owns both sides of the stream it could be trespassing. If the water is navigable, you can float it, wade it or even camp on the shoals. If it wasn't for some residents along the stream and Tightlines Fly Fishing Club working with AGFC, there would be no trout and no SVA. If they bother you, remind them. If you've got to pay $335 a month for SVA fees to catch fish, you ain't a man. A real man finds his own fish.

I fish downstream from SVA property and have been way before they came in. If the property is on one side only, I fish it. If I can float it, I fish it. If there are any problems with land owners or leaders, tell them to call the warden. Everyone argues their point and AGFC and MDC (mo) always step back. The MDC lists cases of stream issues going back to 1915 and I'm sure you can argue your case in AR.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

count web page traffic
XM Satellite Radio