OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
ozark trout fisher

Blue Springs Report

I got down to the area, and sure enough the Meramec was high and muddy... Not really fishable at all. So instead I went to Blue Springs upriver of the N slab. I brought my 6 weight along just in case the Meramec was up, and I was sure glad I did. I tied on a #14 Hare's Ear Nymph, and never had to change the whole day. I only caught five trout (the biggest was 14") but that's good enough for me on a little creek like that. The water was blue-green, right at the perfect stage for wild trout fishing. The brush made fishing more than a bit frustrating, but the rewards were definitely worth the trouble.

On another note, I saw a dead, cleaned trout in a plastic bag just above the slab. Maybe 10" long. I didn't know who did that, and I'm glad. I'm not sure my self control extends far enough to be gracious to some one who did that. That pissed me off so bad, kinda ruined my day.

Those otters are pretty sharp...maybe they've learned to use baggies.

I've seen numerous things, example...a guy fishing at Tan Vat last year with one of those fish baskets in the water.

He was corn banging them to start with, that was bad enouph but then I saw him catch a dink and pull that basket out of the water and throw the dink in the basket which already had 8 or 10 dinks in it.

I had to say something...i don't even want to get into the conversation that resulted. I told him when I was getting ready to leave that there would be an agent there pretty soon...least he yanked his basket out and took off still full of dinks much to my dislike.

oh well, the saga continues, lol

later on

Those otters are pretty sharp...maybe they've learned to use baggies.

I've seen numerous things, example...a guy fishing at Tan Vat last year with one of those fish baskets in the water.

He was corn banging them to start with, that was bad enouph but then I saw him catch a dink and pull that basket out of the water and throw the dink in the basket which already had 8 or 10 dinks in it.

I had to say something...i don't even want to get into the conversation that resulted. I told him when I was getting ready to leave that there would be an agent there pretty soon...least he yanked his basket out and took off still full of dinks much to my dislike.

oh well, the saga continues, lol

later on

One thing I've learned is that there will always be poachers. And I will never understand why they do what they do.

One thing I've learned is that there will always be poachers. And I will never understand why they do what they do.

It's too bad cell phone service is so spotty in most areas we're all fishing. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to call a conservation agent if I saw some jerk breaking the laws. In fact, I'd enjoy it. It would be like a fun little special-ops mission. :ninja:

It's too bad cell phone service is so spotty in most areas we're all fishing. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to call a conservation agent if I saw some jerk breaking the laws. In fact, I'd enjoy it. It would be like a fun little special-ops mission. :ninja:

I sure wish I could have somehow reported the guys who did it. Unfortunately, cell service was non-existant, and I didn't really have any idea who had done it. But if they poach enough, they'll get caught.

I view poachers as thieves.

I sure wish I could have somehow reported the guys who did it. Unfortunately, cell service was non-existant, and I didn't really have any idea who had done it. But if they poach enough, they'll get caught.

I view poachers as thieves.

Don't know about your area but around here getting caught by an agent is unlikely. Kinda like the jokes about cops and donuts...unless it's a bright, warm sun shiney day they might have to get outta their truck unless they can mail them a ticket via a spotting scope, lol.

later on

Don't know about your area but around here getting caught by an agent is unlikely. Kinda like the jokes about cops and donuts...unless it's a bright, warm sun shiney day they might have to get outta their truck unless they can mail them a ticket via a spotting scope, lol.

later on

Maramec Spring is run by MDC, and I would guess there would usually be an agent around. If you called them and said, "I'm at this spot, come get the bad guys," they might be compelled to get off their butts to write a ticket since there is a concerned citizen and angler making the call. Maybe not. I'd keep calling until I saw that truck with the triangle and a uniformed guy writing in a little yellow pad.

Maramec Spring is run by MDC, and I would guess there would usually be an agent around. If you called them and said, "I'm at this spot, come get the bad guys," they might be compelled to get off their butts to write a ticket since there is a concerned citizen and angler making the call. Maybe not. I'd keep calling until I saw that truck with the triangle and a uniformed guy writing in a little yellow pad.

Eric,

Meramec Springs is run by The James Foundation. The MDC operates the hatchery within the park and the 2 don't get along very well...that is what has kept the MDC from building more raceways for rearing fish there because Lord knows there is no lack of water from the spring.

About the only time the agents spend much time in the trout parks is opening day because that's a big paycheck for the dept...plus they all get together in the hatcheries and have a big table of donuts and a giant coffee pot brewin.

Easy pickins and kind of a play day for em, ya know.

later on

Yeah... Unfortunately Blue Spring is so far out from anywhere, that any sort of bust like that would be unlikely. I don't know where the nearest MDC office is, but I bet it's a long ways away. What kind of enjoyment could a guy get from killing a little wild trout? I don't get it. I couldn't ever bring myself to kill one of those little jewels even if it was legal.

The closest MDC office is right there in the park by the entrance gate to the right.

They also have some sheds for equipment and stuff on the backside of the park. That's where most of the MDC employees do their, uh...work??

later on