Sat. 10/24 Report From Creek In Nwa

• Members

Been following the forums for a month or so but just now posting. I gather the protocol here is to not reveal specific locations, but this was a spring-fed creek near the Arkansas-Oklahoma line.

Fished it a month or so ago, and it was a fish every third or fourth cast—mostly little guys with a couple up to a pound and a half thrown in. They were spread all over the creek from the deep chutes to the riffles.

Different story on Saturday. Water was a little higher and several degrees cooler, and the fish were all wadded up at the bottom of the deep holes and didn’t want to budge for anything. Had nothing but a 4-weight with a floating line, but finally added enough lead to get a fly right down on the rocks and picked up a few—nothing over 12 inches or so.

Just learning this warmwater stuff, so any input/advice would be appreciated. Hoping to get out for a half-day solo float somewhere within a couple hours of Fort Smith on Sunday. Not looking for anything top-secret—just a pleasant float where I might catch a few bass at this time of year and with this amount of recent rain. Ideas?

post-9640-1256652782_thumb.jpg

That's a very pretty smallmouth in your picture and a nice looking stream as well. I can't help you with any advice on fly fishing techniques for smallies, but my one suggestion would be to invest in a spinning or baitcasting reel and rod if you don't already have one. Many (most) of the baits that are going to catch bigger smallmouth are going to be too big to cast with a fly rod, although I have heard some guys getting some bigger fish on streamers.

Many (most) of the baits that are going to catch bigger smallmouth are going to be too big to cast with a fly rod, although I have heard some guys getting some bigger fish on streamers.

Now Eric if you knew anything about fly fishing for smallmouths you would know that this statement is not true. :D That's the perception that exists with smallmouth fly fishing. You can't cast anything big enough to catch a decent fish. Well that's not true. Most of the flies that I throw to smallies are bigger than anything that most would cast on conventional tackle. We are talking flies that are 5 to 6 inches long and bigger. Now these may be a little big for a 4 wt. but I have become a master at chunking them on a 5wt.

One other thing, some of the biggest smallies that I have caught on a fly rod have come on some of the smallest flies that I have. I have a little popper that I throw on a 3wt that drives them crazy. Nothing special, but I put it where they live and they love it.

Not sure on a location for you around Ft. Smith but heavily weighted wooly buggers in brown and black this time of year are a great place to start. Now if the fish are up off the bottom then an unweighted streamer in a lighter color usually does well.

“Anybody opens their mouth, gonna get a bullet. Anybody moves a little weird, little sudden, gonna get a bullet. Not a warning. Not a question. A bullet.”  - Major Marquis Warren

Now Eric if you knew anything about fly fishing for smallmouths you would know that this statement is not true. :D That's the perception that exists with smallmouth fly fishing. You can't cast anything big enough to catch a decent fish. Well that's not true. Most of the flies that I throw to smallies are bigger than anything that most would cast on conventional tackle. We are talking flies that are 5 to 6 inches long and bigger. Now these may be a little big for a 4 wt. but I have become a master at chunking them on a 5wt.

One other thing, some of the biggest smallies that I have caught on a fly rod have come on some of the smallest flies that I have. I have a little popper that I throw on a 3wt that drives them crazy. Nothing special, but I put it where they live and they love it.

Not sure on a location for you around Ft. Smith but heavily weighted wooly buggers in brown and black this time of year are a great place to start. Now if the fish are up off the bottom then an unweighted streamer in a lighter color usually does well.

Well, Ronnie, that's why I told him I wouldn't be any help with fly fishing advice and I think we've proven that. :D

Those 5-6" flies, aren't they considered streamers? I have no idea. But yeah, you're right, a big smallmouth would surely go after that. Most of my lures are around the 4" range, some a little bigger, some a little smaller. And I also know they'll eat tiny stuff like you said. I caught a 19" smallmouth on the Huzzah once on a little suspending minnow that was about an inch long. I was out there with an ultralight just messing around with little guys and he really caught me by surprise.

Well, Ronnie, that's why I told him I wouldn't be any help with fly fishing advice and I think we've proven that. :D

Hey don't get your panties in a wad. I was just giving you a hard time. :P

Those 5-6" flies, aren't they considered streamers?

Yes, some are streamers. Some are poppers, some are a worm patterns. Some are just really weird, but they catch fish. Great thing about smallies is that it doesn't have to look like anything. It just needs to look alive and appear that it's trying to get away.

“Anybody opens their mouth, gonna get a bullet. Anybody moves a little weird, little sudden, gonna get a bullet. Not a warning. Not a question. A bullet.”  - Major Marquis Warren

Z, Sounds like you did well. Nothing wrong with 12" smallies on a fly rod. Or a spinning rod for that matter.

Your more than welcome to divulge the stream names and locations, if you wish. In fact, that was the going trend. That was why I came to this site. For info and help. Members were trying to help fellow members out. That way others wouldn't waste their time driving hours to a a place that was slow fishing. .. Anyway, a few members that were fishing the same small streams as me, thought I was inviting too much pressure on the fragile little streams. So, out of respect, I started posting "other Ozark streams", to protect those waters. Now, it seems to be the "new" trend.

Welcome to the site and good luck ... wader (also, we like pics)

wader

Maybe I'm a freak, well, no maybe about it, lol...but I have taken all the hooks off of a 5 1/4 inch rapala, ground the bill off and put a single barbed hooked on the rear of it and slung that thing.

I don't know much about fly fishing at all but I do know I was able to cast that thing so I would think you experienced guys could do something to that affect.

I pride myself in my unorthidox methods. The first time I fished the tailwaters of the North Fork years ago those guys down there thought I was a bloomin idiot...that may be but they didn't have much to say when they saw the size fish I was catching...they were my buddies all of a sudden.

We just learned to take our plugs off before we pulled into the boat ramps, docks, whatever.

They always thought we were bass fishin...we just let em think it but it's kinda hard to hide a 8,10 lb. brownie.

later on

My friends say I'm a douche bag ??

bm <><

You should listen to this guy about catching smallies on the fly he knows his stuff.

You should listen to this guy about catching smallies on the fly he knows his stuff.

Thanks Joe, but I think you are giving me too much credit. I do love fly fishing for smallmouth though. It pretty much controls my life.