Surprising Article About Salt River

eric1978

i can tell you for a fact that the Salt has a pretty nice population of smallies, we float it a few times a year and wade the tributaries regularly (see my username) the key is to find rocky areas and avoid the long mud flats. On a side note when they aren't running water out of the re reg those long slow runs can lead to some serious stretches of paddling

Fish always lose by being "got in and dressed." It is best to weigh them while they are in the water. The only really large one I ever caught got away with my leader when I first struck him. He weighed ten pounds.

—Charles Dudley Warner

and ya i know i bumped a 2 year old thread but its the only one i know about waters around me so it must be bumped!

Fish always lose by being "got in and dressed." It is best to weigh them while they are in the water. The only really large one I ever caught got away with my leader when I first struck him. He weighed ten pounds.

—Charles Dudley Warner

• 6 years later...
  • Members

Fished the salt twice this year near the union covered bridge. Really enjoyed fishing there and will be fishing there a lot from now on. Was hoping to catch as few smallies but only caught largemouth. Still a great stretch of water to fish and I would recommend it. Also didn't realize until after I got done typing this that this thread is from 2012. Oh well

9 minutes ago, AlexFish1 said:

Also didn't realize until after I got done typing this that this thread is from 2012. Oh well

Actually it's from 2009. You aren't the only one to drag it up from the dead. Eric, the OP, would be pleased that it was back up if only we could find him. Poor little guy went missing. 

• Members
1 minute ago, Flysmallie said:

Actually it's from 2009. You aren't the only one to drag it up from the dead. Eric, the OP, would be pleased that it was back up if only we could find him. Poor little guy went missing. 

I am happy to help this topic live on 😝

On 11/1/2009 at 11:30 AM, ozark trout fisher said:

From the "biotic community" section on the Fox River's watershed report:

Creek and small river habitats (e.g. Honey Creek, Little Fox River and the upper Fox River) support a richer fish fauna than the headwaters. The most common species were the central stoneroller, red shiner, bigmouth shiner, sand shiner, suckermouth minnow, bluntnose minnow, quillback, shorthead redhorse, channel catfish, mosquitofish, orangespotted sunfish, smallmouth bass and slenderhead darter.

Sounds like my kind of watershed😁! Too bad I didn't see this before now. Had looked into the Salt and Fabius river systems to try for fathead minnows. Always ended up somewhere else. Thought I would get to that part of the state at some point. A little late for that now.

On 7/10/2018 at 8:25 PM, Johnsfolly said:

Sounds like my kind of watershed😁! Too bad I didn't see this before now. Had looked into the Salt and Fabius river systems to try for fathead minnows. Always ended up somewhere else. Thought I would get to that part of the state at some point. A little late for that now.

LOL, this one was actually fine mostly because it was a direct quote from the MDC website, but when I see a quote including both "ozark trout fisher" and "2009" I start to think "Oh dear god, what stupid thing did I say when 9 years ago I was a junior in high school?"

:)