dfield

Has anyone ever tried to start a movement to open up the out branch of outlet #3 to C&R fishing for kids under 16 and/or handicap fishermen based on the model of Dry Run Creek? Sounds like a great project for UT. Just thought I would kick it out there and see if any of it sticks.

Outlet 3 is not big enough. It will only hold fish during the fall or when they generate 2 or more units. More than 2 units, the less area you have for fishing. Unless they build something, taney does not have a good access for kids or disabled. The wasteland east of the hatchery is about the only option. You could structure a creek all the way to #4 outlet that would allow fish from the river to have access. If that area will not hold water, then build a concrete creek. Sprinkle gravel on the bottom and call it good to go.

• Members

There is a small section of moving water - just east of the raceways- next to the old outdoor aquarium - by the main building. It could serve as an area for kids. The visual of kids hooking some nice fish, might help create interest. Also one of the longer ponds just south of this raceway could be handicap fitted with safe decks.

Thighlines & Singing Reels

A_Z - you should see that same area today.... zero water in it. All dirt.

I'm not sure why they dug it up.

Brian

Just once I wish a trout would wink at me!

ozarkflyfisher@gmail.com

I'm the guy wearing the same Simms longbilled hat for 10 years now.

• Members

It would be great to see this happen. Several years ago I was trying to get my 10 year old son interested in fly fishing and I took him to the upper lake hoping to try at one of the outlets. Every outlet was surrounded by adults, mostly older, and there was not a spot for him to get in. We ended up wading out a ways (they were running one unit) and he finally caught a small rainbow. I like to think that if I had been one of the guys fishing the outlet and saw a young boy come up to give it a try that I would offer him my spot and all the encouragement I could. I didn't know these guys and maybe there was a reason they couldn't wade the water. I personally don't fish the outlets because it doesn't seem very sporting but I also understand guys wanting to catch fish. One of the earlier posts mentioned enforcement but I don't see that as a problem. The honest person will play by the rules...the one's who don't won't anyway.

• Members
It would be great to see this happen. Several years ago I was trying to get my 10 year old son interested in fly fishing and I took him to the upper lake hoping to try at one of the outlets. Every outlet was surrounded by adults, mostly older, and there was not a spot for him to get in. We ended up wading out a ways (they were running one unit) and he finally caught a small rainbow. I like to think that if I had been one of the guys fishing the outlet and saw a young boy come up to give it a try that I would offer him my spot and all the encouragement I could. I didn't know these guys and maybe there was a reason they couldn't wade the water. I personally don't fish the outlets because it doesn't seem very sporting but I also understand guys wanting to catch fish. One of the earlier posts mentioned enforcement but I don't see that as a problem. The honest person will play by the rules...the one's who don't won't anyway.

You should take him to dry run creek. It is c&r for under 16 and handicap fisherman. this time of year it's full of rainbows & cuts up to 7 -8 pounds and browns up to 20 plus a ton of smaller fish.

• Members

This should be an easy fix with the stimulus Package! :P Cost doesnt matter with any other project the Government does so this is a no brainer. <_< Just look at how well they fixed up those bathrooms that already stink and flood. Oh well maybe next group of Politicians will fix this. lol The real way to do this project is to pump water up to area above shoot 3 from the lake below to keep a good flow going, of course the area has to be cleaned up and quite a bit of dirt work done so kids could access it. If they would have only taken the Stimulus Money they used to re pave the 65 Hiway that had been paved two years before It could have been a good start. :D

• Members
A_Z - you should see that same area today.... zero water in it. All dirt.

I'm not sure why they dug it up.

Brian

Brian, I was just there --Oct 24-31 -- There were a couple old raceways dug up..but I was thinking of the little stream that is right by the fish food dispensers. They could cut a smooth - level grade so it would be stable and safer. There is / or was - that one pond like raceway to the south, just above the road and tower.

We were back for the SDC Christmas -- but never got around to the hatchery.

Now back in AZ, so I have a few weeks of Browns trying to get fat before winter.

Tightlines

Thighlines & Singing Reels

I don't know what can be done, but I'd like to see some kind of handicap access on the upper lake. Since my accident last year, I have not been able to fly fish on the upper lake. Before that, I had started going almost twice a week...

Zach Smith

• Members

I was just wondering who's land is it's below the dam? Is it MC or is it ACE 's land. I was thinking of #3 because at one time it had at least two hundred yard of small stream that ran threw the woods behind the hatchery. I was wondering if anyone had any contacts that we could pass this interesting project onto to see if we could make it happen.