Who's Reading What?

ness

Hey Quillback -- read that a few years back. It is a good one!

This is a pretty good read too, and sorta similar: The Last Season

Currently reading "An Irish Country Doctor" on a whim. It's about, you guessed it, an Irish country doctor.

John

I'm about to start re-reading Robert Jordan's Wheel Of Time series. There were supposed to be 12 books in the series and the author, unfortunately, died after book 11. His wife has hired another writer to finish the series based on the authors notes and recordings of the final book. However, the last book has now turned into a trilogy.

And.. Note to Cricket... I am also a fan of R. A. Salvatore and have read almost all of the Dark Elf books. Sea of Swords is a good book, but the ones that follow are some of the best.

Holy Menzoberranzan!!! Another Drizzt fan!?!?! I can't believe I missed this post! lol

I'll admit it, I wasn't reading Sea of Swords.. I was re-reading it!

Glad to know ya, Daddy-O!!

cricket.c21.com

• 5 weeks later...

Finished Zen in the Art of Flyfishing a few weeks ago good book not only for fishermen. Thinking about getting the new issue of Playboy to read next (articles are really good!).

"The problem with a politician’s quote on Facebook is you don’t know whether or not they really said it." –Abraham Lincoln

Tales of an Ozark Campground Proprietor

Dead Drift Fly Shop

• 1 year later...

Bump.

Empire of the Summer Moon about the demise of the Commanches. Pretty interesting section on Cynthia Parker -- a teenaged girl captured by the Commanches who watched members of her family beaten and butchered, then suffered horrible treatment by her captors before being accepted into the fold. Relatives searched for years, and when she was finally brought back to 'civilization' she wanted to go back (sound familiar?) She was mother to Quanah, who became a great chief, raised a lotta he!! and ultimately became a wealthy guy within the white-man's system.

One of the things that really stands out is just how savage they could be. It was routine to torture, rape, dismember, burn, whatever, their captives.

Pretty good stories, but the author is prone to hyperbole and bounces around in time so that it's hard to follow at times. It's got me wanting to read more on the topic.

John

Just finished "Last Call" by Daniel Okrent, a history of Prohibition.

I'm almost done with Blood and Faith: The purging of Muslim Spain by Matthew Carr

Also close to finished with Bloodlands: Europe between Hitler and Staling by Timothy Snyder.

And....about to start Tories: Fighting for the King in America's First Civil War by Thomas Allen

Yep.....exciting isn't it?

"Thanks to Mother Mercy, Thanks to Brother Wine, Another night is over and we're walking down the line" - David Mallett

Just finished, The Pleasure of Finding Things Out: The Best Short Works of Richard P. Feynman. This book ended way too quickly.

In the middle of, Peter the Great: His Life and World by Robert Massie. An epic story of seventeenth- and eighteenth-century Europe and Russia, and an account of why some historical figures are referred to as “the Great”. I would highly recommend this to anyone who has a curiosity about the world as it was and as it is.

Up next is, Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History by S.C. Gwynne. My sister gave this to me at Thanksgiving. I read one chapter as a teaser and I’m looking forward to more. Savage, yes, but probably no less savage than the civilized world at the time.

One book I read last winter that I’m certain would be of great interest to users of this forum is, The Wilderness Warrior: Theodore Roosevelt and the Crusade for America, by Douglas Brinkley. This is a fascinating story about our bird watcher president’s effort to save as much of the natural world as he could. Every person who enjoys the outdoors is forever indebted to Theodore Roosevelt.

His father touches the Claw in spite of Kevin's warnings and breaks two legs just as a thunderstorm tears the house apart. Kevin runs away with the Claw. He becomes captain of the Greasy Bastard, a small ship carrying rubber goods between England and Burma. Michael Palin, Terry Jones, 1974

I've been watching the show "Big Bang Theory" which led me to http://superstringth....com/index.html ... Interesting stuff. Anyone got a suggestion for a book along these lines? (besides a college textbook)

The page you linked was advertising a Stephen Hawking book...that'd be a good place to start. Be sure to get a nice pile of meth, too, if you wanna get through it.