Who's Reading What?

ness

It does!  Turns out God hates us and wants most of us to burn in hell. You would think it's a love story, forgiveness and acceptance and all. But, no. Apparently, Gods who exist in books are quite determined to punish everyone in the most horrific ways.  Waiting for the movie.

In the meantime:

"A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy O'Toole

"The Son" by Phillip Meyer

"Remains of the Day" by Kazuo Ishiguro

On 2/8/2016 at 8:55 PM, Al Agnew said:

I also gotta admit that I found the "Game of Thrones" books to be pretty marginal as far as entertainment.

You shut your mouth!

I mean you can have your opinion, but I can think its wrong! I'm a big fan of the series and what I think makes it soo great is the extreme amount of detail that goes into it all. Sure there is a lot of stuff and it does drag sometimes but where the beauty in it lies is that it has basically crafted an entire world for you to read about. There is history available "the Tales of Dunk and Egg" the Princess and the queen that details the Dance of the Dragons that essentially began to end the Targaryen line, you can see info that leads back to all of the Blackfyre rebellions and what caused them. That's probably my favorite part about the series is how much there is, and every word is thought out for so many pages.

I enjoy the show too but hate what they have done with a few of the character's arcs so far and how it is all changing, but I do know they have to streamline the whole series as well. 

In the mood for something different so I picked up a copy of Sarum by Edward Rutherford. It's historical fiction about the history of England, set over many centuries beginning just after the Ice Age. I think I'm gonna like it. About 850 pages to like :D

John

Sarum is a good read albeit it a little slow at times.  There is another called The Tell I believe about a settlement in Israel/palestine, kind of a historical sort of book like Sarum only set in Israel.  Another one I really liked is called The Walking Drum, by Louis L'Amour of all people.  Set in Europe not a typical Louis western at all.  I also enjoyed several of the long James Mischner books like Chesapeake, takes a while to read but sometimes I really like the ones that don't require me to set half the night to see what happens.

One of the better series of semi-historical fiction set in early Britain is the Camulod Chronicles series by Jack Whyte.  It's basically the story of Merlin, Uther Pendragon, and Arthur, but without all the magic stuff--more the way it would have REALLY been.  Lots of history of that time, when the Roman influence was waning.

10 hours ago, Al Agnew said:

One of the better series of semi-historical fiction set in early Britain is the Camulod Chronicles series by Jack Whyte.  It's basically the story of Merlin, Uther Pendragon, and Arthur, but without all the magic stuff--more the way it would have REALLY been.  Lots of history of that time, when the Roman influence was waning.

I'll have to check that out. 

John

Stephen Lawhead's Pendragon series and Albion trilogy have merit as well.