Who's Reading What?

ness

I'm about to start re-reading Robert Jordan's Wheel Of Time series. There were supposed to be 12 books in the series and the author, unfortunately, died after book 11. His wife has hired another writer to finish the series based on the authors notes and recordings of the final book. However, the last book has now turned into a trilogy.

And.. Note to Cricket... I am also a fan of R. A. Salvatore and have read almost all of the Dark Elf books. Sea of Swords is a good book, but the ones that follow are some of the best.

DaddyO

We all make decisions; but, in the end, our decisions make us.

• 1 month later...

I've read Robert Travers' fishing books, and had seen the movie 'Anatomy of a Murder', so I decided to get the book. Pretty good read so far: his easy-to-read style and wry humor from the fishing books is evident here too.

I've also been reminded lately just how crummy my Bible knowledge is, especially with two boys going through confirmation (it's like a Lutheran Bar Mitzvah). So I Googled a little, and I'll be darned -- there's a "The Bible for Dummies" out there. So I picked one up. They've got the whole Old Testament covered in about 4 pages at the front of the book. Of course, they go into a lot more detail in the body of the book, but those four pages offer a great outline with names, places and events that we've all heard but probably couldn't put into context.

John

Finished "Wet Flies" by Dave Hughes. Great book on the history of wet flies and techniques used to fish them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0811718689?ie=UTF8&tag=davhugflyfis-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0811718689

On to "Flyfishing: The North Country Tradition" by Leslie Magee. This is a great book on the history of fly fishing in Great Britain. Very interesting ho the names and tying recipes have not changed much.

http://www.kensmithpublishing.com/fly_fishing.htm

Zack Hoyt

OAF Contributor

Flies, Lies, and Other Diversions

Just started "The Virginian" by Owen Wister. It's considered the grandaddy of Western and cowboy literature, and the TV series and movie were loosly based on it. Wister was a friend of Teddy Roosevelt and dedicated the book to him. It was written in 1902, so the language is a bit different. Also, he uses a lot of very long sentences, and the writing isn't very fluid at times. But, I think I'm gonna like it, just won't fly through it.

One of my all time favorites. My favorite part of the book is when the Virginian tells the story about Frog Legs and Delmonicos to the other cowboys to get back at his rival.

It's been about ten years, I should read that book again.

One of my all time favorites. My favorite part of the book is when the Virginian tells the story about Frog Legs and Delmonicos to the other cowboys to get back at his rival.

It's been about ten years, I should read that book again.

I liked it pretty well, but....somehow it just didn't hit the spot.

I like the western stuff, and want to read more. Any suggestions? I started down through the Sacketts, but the plots just got so contrived I gave up. I like some of L'Amour's other stuff though. I've also read a couple by Ivan Doig -- not westerns, but 1800s. Dancing at the Rascal Fair and The Whistling Season are both excellent.

John

I liked it pretty well, but....somehow it just didn't hit the spot.

I like the western stuff, and want to read more. Any suggestions? I started down through the Sacketts, but the plots just got so contrived I gave up. I like some of L'Amour's other stuff though. I've also read a couple by Ivan Doig -- not westerns, but 1800s. Dancing at the Rascal Fair and The Whistling Season are both excellent.

I don't know...I gave up on the L'Amours at about 15 yrs. old, although I do really like Last of the Breed. It was set in Cold war USSR though..

• 3 months later...

Just finished up To Kill a Mockingbird. Not sure how I got this far without reading it before. What an excellent book, with a lot of great characters and a heck of a message too.

Jumped into a Charley Waterman bird hunting book: Gun Dogs and Bird Guns. 'Tis the season (almost)!

John

• 1 month later...

I just reread Into Thin Air by John Krakauer, excellent first person account of climbing Mt. Everest. Blackhawk Down, Mark Bowden. If you're into military history, Fire in the Skyby Eric Bergurud, it's about the air war in the South Pacific in the early years of WWII.