Bank Fishing Report

Don't know if this will help anyone, but here goes. Got there early (before sunup) two days ago, and fished by the culvert. Bass were up on the bank just hammering schools of 1-2 inch shad. Tied on a Berkeley Flicker Shad (my new favorite crank bait), and caught a couple - one small one, and one that would've went 3lbs. Nice bass. Netted a bunch of those shad, and caught a few crappie with em. Fished deep - right off the bottom - in hopes of catching another walleye. No luck, but did pick up a 15 inch flathead catfish and a small channel cat in addition to crappie. Small crappie. Came back after work (as the storm rolled in) and fished till dark after the storm settled down. Around sun-down, it was a crappie every 3 casts with twin crappie jigs, but most were small. Caught 3 that might have kept (one nice 10 incher), but ended up letting them go.

In the am, the white bass were schooling and chasing baitfish out of my casting reach. Saw one small muskie (maybe 25 inches) close to the culvert, and saw another massive muskie roll right out in front of me. If you are serious about catching a muskie, get there before sun-up, with some decent size bluegill under a bobber, i expect. They are in there in numbers I am thinking.

Around dark, I had a small crappie that I damaged getting the hook out, who was twitching on the surface. An owl came swooping out of nowhere and made a grab at him but missed. The owl stayed in the powerline overhead after that - probably waited for me to leave. Never seen an owl try to snag a fish before - quite cool.

Sorry there isn't more actual fishing report in this fishing report - but I am going to get serious about catching a Fellows muskie sometime here. If it ever happens, I'll post it.

Brian

post-5350-12768836200075_thumb.jpg

Got there before sunrise again, and started out throwing a flicker shad - gray/white. Hung into a bass, and a white bass. Then, the shad started schooling and I netted a couple dozen, and made the foolish mistake of trying to operate two poles at once with shad under slip bobber. After about 6 misses, 3 tangles, 3 largemouth bass, and 2 more white bass later, I learned my lesson, but the bite had cooled by that time. strung up 4 or so shad and let them sink, and took two channel cats, biggest around 2.5 lb or so. good eaters. As I was reeling the smaller cat in, a monster muskie darted out from under the culvert and grabbed it by the head. Luckily, I was using fireline, and thwarted his aims. If I had a foot long version of a banjo minnow, I would be posting pics of the muskie I caught this morning. Instead, these will have to do...

post-5350-12773174944361_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the reports. I think I would have had a coronary when that Muskie tried to take the head off of the catfish.

If fishing was easy it would be called catching.