First Timer

jason v

• Members

staying in eminece first few days of august with my two daughters. We are looking to raft one day any suggestions on a good section of Jacks Fork. I was thinking floating back to eminence if possible staying at arrowhead campground. Is there any trout in jacks fork or will i need to drive to current or any suggestons?

No trout in the Jacks Fork. Alley Spring to Eminence is a good short raft float, but fishing through there isn't all that great--although it is a pretty good stretch in which to catch chain pickerel, which is pretty cool.

Actually, I've always been a bit curious as to why nobody ever stocked trout in the Jacks Fork below Alley Spring. In the summer, the spring usually more than doubles the size of the stream, so it would seem to me to be a pretty good stretch for trout to survive in.

The stretch from Eminence to Two Rivers is better smallmouth fishing, although a lot of people don't care for it because of the chance of high bacteria counts in the water from all the horseback riding stables and trails in the area.

If you're into trout, it isn't too far to drive up to the upper Current, or south to the Eleven Point.

• Members

I did read about water quality on the jacks fork . Is it ok in eminence? We have floated the huzzah and courtois. I thought we would try something different.We like the water so we hope it will be ok in eminence.

Most of the liveries in Eminence offer floats anywhere on JF (except for the Prongs in summer). The nicest scenery is from Buck Hollow down to Bay Creek, which is a good distance for an overnight, and I would recommend a float from Buck Hollow to Rymers or Blue Spring to Rymers if you just have one day. Prettier, good fishing, no horse poop. You'll have plenty of company if you're there on a weekend though...that goes for any stretch you pick. If you've floated the Huzzah you know what I'm talking about.

http://www.harveysalleyspring.com/mapbig.html

USGS shows only 53 cfs at Buck Hollow. What's the lower limit of floatability from that point?

I've done it at 30 with a fair amount of dragging. We were heavily loaded, though. I love how the river looks at that level, but it does take some work. The trick is to inconspicuously wade down the riffle and work the head of the next pool while your buddy drags the canoe.laugh.gif

• Members

Is there any walleye in the Jacks Fork? I look forward to try to catch some chain pickerel never caught one and any help what to use. I'm also loooking forward to fishing for some small mouth . I picked up some Rapala crank bait that resembles a crawdad. Still nervous about this horse poop is my wife and kids going to see it floating by at campground in eminence I geuss i do not want to go float below eminene.

I'm not twisting your arm or anything, but seriously, forget about floating near Eminence and go up higher. The river is much prettier above Bay Creek and the shuttle is plenty fast...you won't be sorry, I promise.

I am so sick of this horse crap worry on the lower JF. Everythings fine IMO. Hell, the best late summer fishing on the lower river is from Shawnee Creek down. Plenty of nice fish down there, just fish it real slow. Like 3 1/2 miles... ALL DAY LONG! Go to the Eminence chamber of commerce website and it will tell you what weekend every month through the summer the trail rides are held. Usually the third weekend, but check and avoid it. You'll be good.

HUMAN RELATIONS MANAGER @ OZARK FISHING EXPEDITIONS