• Members

Took the family down to Marvel’s Monday. Fishing was slow till after lunch. At one point fish were constantly rising all around me and I couldn’t find a fly that they wanted. Talk about frustrating. Finally found what they wanted and it was fish on every presentation. Weather was great all day. Saw some really big Striper behind a big root ball downstream from camp but my Striper gear was about a mile upstream...

CIMG0085.jpg

CIMG0108-1.jpg

We almost didn't go because of all the storms around. Glad we did, Weather was beautiful!

CIMG0120.jpg

CIMG0111.jpg

• Members

It was a catapillar. Size 12 2x long hook with brown dubbing and black hackle. Super simple fly. On some of them I'll add a little bit of foam instead of the dubbing. Also caught a few on black foam ants with black hackle wrapped in between the body segments.

My daughter was sitting in the edge of the water looking at rocks when she found a super tiny worm. She had it on her finger watching it twich. She said "I think it's going to throw up!" Then it quit moving for a second and she said "it's head is going to explode!" I heard her scream OMG and it hatched out and buzzed up and hit her in the nose and flew off...lol. Her and my wife were astonished. She spent the next 30 minutes looking for bug under the rocks. Next trip I'll get her some jars and she can collect some critters for tying patterns for me.

We slayed 'em on soft hackles a couple weekends back as well when they were feeding on the surface. We also caught 'em on Adams, Elk Hair Caddis, and Creme Knats. The soft hackles were size 14s and the dries were size 18-22s. I love fishing soft hackles....so much fun.

Chance

...I'm haunted in my dreams of waters I have yet to fish and trout I have yet to catch...

Chasing the Dream...

Can't believe there is still stripers in the river. This time last year, the majority of them had moved back down river. I wish you luck in chasing them. I got POed and finally gave it up after chasing them for several weeks. I threw every fly in the box at them, even tied up new patterns, fast retrieve, slow retrieve, floating line, sinking line...etc etc etc etc....

NOTHING!

Chance

...I'm haunted in my dreams of waters I have yet to fish and trout I have yet to catch...

Chasing the Dream...

• Members

It seemed like the smaller the drys the better. (18-20)

I had two soft hackles in my box that I tied a while back. I have never tried them out. Next trip I will.

I was fishing a 2/3wt so I didn't try for the stripers. I did get a new 8wt TFO TiCr-X so I'm geared up for the Stripes now. Thinking about getting the switch rod conversion kit for the Arkansas??? Maybe I'll just practice my dbl haul casting a little more!

I bought a spey rod to fish the Arkansas and Lower Illinois....I've never used it. I need to sell it but then again I might hang onto for when the time comes I go chase steelhead somewhere! Which who knows when that will be :)

Always fun to dream...

How do you like the TiCr-X?? I love my TiCr...

Chance

Chasing the Dream...

• Members

I was traveling to Michigan several times a year on business up until last fall. I'd started taking my rods with me and fishing streams in the evingings. I had a trip that was timed with the steelhead run in the Rouge River coming up when the company put a travel freeze on. I was a little disapointed to say the least. I've caught them in the big lake & hooked into holdover steelies for a split second on light lines while fishing for small bows but never targeted them during the run.

I've only had my TiCr-X out to the casting pond in Jenks. So far I really like it. The tempo is alot different that the CV2 I was using. I need some time on the Arkansas with it. Thanks for all of the info you shared with me.

Once you figure out the casting stroke with that fast action rod, you'll really love it. I can really haul some line with my TiCr. Awesome rods...

No problem on the info....anytime buddy!

Chance

Chasing the Dream...