OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Greg

Trout Fishing In Black Hills South Dakota?

Have any other OAF members been fly fishing for trout in the black hills of south dakota? Or anywhere in SD for that matter?

I'm interested in doing a family trip there and doing some fishing. What info I can find online looks interesting.

Thanks,

Greg

I would say GO there. We went there the last week of July, stayed in Spearfish Canyon. Fished Spearfish Creed mostly. Brown and some Brook trout there. Little Spearfish has all Brook trout. I used fly rod, and it was a challenge but fun. Wikiup Cabins is where we stayed. More info if you want, just let me know.

Thanks I appreciate the advice.

Greg

I have been there fly fishing. Been a couple decades though. From what I remember, tons of dinks and lots of pressure. Pretty though!!

Thanks Trav. It does look like beautiful country.

Greg

It's been about 7 or 8 years since I've been up there, but the last time I was there we tore up the browns on Rapid creek below the reservoir. (Can't recall the name - maybe Pactola?) Anyway, I've heard that stretch had some troubles with didymo.

Here's a link: http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/news/article_d03634f4-7ca4-11df-938e-001cc4c002e0.html

Deerfield Lake was productive too. Lots of brookies/splake. You might also try Castle Creek below the lake. It was historically a fantastic place to fish before the drought years took their toll. Not sure what it's like now.

I was most impressed with Spearfish canyon. The fishing is very tight and the fish are very wary, but it's certainly a classic place to fish.

Have a great trip. I'm jealous!

It's been about 7 or 8 years since I've been up there, but the last time I was there we tore up the browns on Rapid creek below the reservoir. (Can't recall the name - maybe Pactola?) Anyway, I've heard that stretch had some troubles with didymo.

Here's a link: http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/news/article_d03634f4-7ca4-11df-938e-001cc4c002e0.html

Deerfield Lake was productive too. Lots of brookies/splake. You might also try Castle Creek below the lake. It was historically a fantastic place to fish before the drought years took their toll. Not sure what it's like now.

I was most impressed with Spearfish canyon. The fishing is very tight and the fish are very wary, but it's certainly a classic place to fish.

Have a great trip. I'm jealous!

I fished Castle Creek below Deerfield Lake. It flows through a meadow and is very fishable. You have to stay waaaaaaay back. These fish are very wary, but catchable. Grasshopper patterns should work great right now. I was using them in July with success, and they were just starting. I had no luck in Deerfield Lake. Good fishing.