Drought And Forest Fires.

Removing fire from the equation is an unnatural situation too, just as unnatural as the current abundance of maple and cedar in the state

Well put! Until the last century we had no good ways to control fire which played a critical role in the evolution of our natural landscape. Prevention of these "natural occurances" have allowed too much undergrowth in some areas which go up like tender and burn down houses (California). Glades evolved with fire and were usually devoid of cedars because of the fires. For this reason you see the MDC cutting and killing cedars and burning the glades to get them back to their natural state. If you've ever been in a grove of cedars you see how there is nothing on the floor and while they have some cover and food value it is less than what would take its place. Because of fires the Ozark forest was dominated by pine prior to logging. Only since the prevention of fires (following clear cutting) has the forest shifted to an oak, hickory dominated landscape. If you are willing to burn your property many times you can get paid by the MDC for these habitat improvement practices. That being said, don't throw a cigarette in your neighbors woodlot, let him do it.

"The problem with a politician’s quote on Facebook is you don’t know whether or not they really said it." –Abraham Lincoln

Tales of an Ozark Campground Proprietor

Dead Drift Fly Shop

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what y'all are talking about. MO is, and always has been, predominately oak-hickory or oak-pine forest.

http://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/habitats/forests/missouri-forests-today

Here's what MDC says about forest fires:

"Each year about 4,000 wildfires burn over 40,000 acres of Missouri's forest and grassland. Humans cause most of the fire in Missouri: 50 percent start from escaped debris and trash fires and 31 percent are started by arsonists. These fires cause millions of dollars worth of damage to forests, wildlife habitat, watersheds, and property."

I don't have a problem with wildfires, per se. When lightning strikes, let 'er burn. I'm just saying we shouldn't be pitching our lit cigs out the window willy nilly and pretending we're doing the great outdoors a favor...and that's what Smokey says, too.

Sounds like MDC needs to do some controlled burns in the river valleys...but let's leave it up to them instead of allowing citizens to play Ranger Rick and screwing everything up.

The forestry service has been doing controlled burns along with the MDC in area where they see the need. Not all of the timber needs a good burning, especially our farm. My concern is the 1800 acres of 10 year old clear cut that joins our land that was divided up after the cut into 40 acre hunting plots. I don't need some city slicker starting a fire out of ignorance.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

Only since the prevention of fires (following clear cutting) has the forest shifted to an oak, hickory dominated landscape

I should have said shifted from pine/oak/hickory to oak/hickory, without fire pines have a tough time regenerating naturally. I would guess most of the controlled burns are done by private citizens and kudos to everyone who does this. Starting them is the easy part, you must have good fire lanes to prevent fire from escaping to your neighbor who may or may not want his property burnt. Before I burn I get together with the neighbors and we often let the fire burn over several properties, lessens our work and helps more land. Has really opened up the glade areas by killing cedars, and has created openings in the woods where wildlife abounds and woodlands plants sprout. In my area I wouldn't be worried about the city slickers starting fires, more start because of the locals throwing out cigarettes or blowing up their meth labs accidently.

"The problem with a politician’s quote on Facebook is you don’t know whether or not they really said it." –Abraham Lincoln

Tales of an Ozark Campground Proprietor

Dead Drift Fly Shop

• 3 weeks later...

The red cedar isn't native to Missouri, but rather an invasive species. The forests used to burn regularly, which is what the pines were adapted to and relied upon. Most areas of cedar used to be open glades (rocky grassland) which was a home for most of the state's reptiles, as well as the roadrunner. That's right, roadrunners are native to MO. It's my opinion that cedars should be cut and/or burnt on site, with regular underbrush management (controlled burns). It's actually one of the most effective tools used in the western states, especially CO. End rant...

Rob

WARNING!! Comments to be interpreted at own risk.

Time spent fishing is never wasted.

The red cedar isn't native to Missouri, but rather an invasive species. The forests used to burn regularly, which is what the pines were adapted to and relied upon. Most areas of cedar used to be open glades (rocky grassland) which was a home for most of the state's reptiles, as well as the roadrunner. That's right, roadrunners are native to MO. It's my opinion that cedars should be cut and/or burnt on site, with regular underbrush management (controlled burns). It's actually one of the most effective tools used in the western states, especially CO. End rant...

Rob

I don't know where you're getting your information, but the Eastern Red Cedar IS native to Missouri. In fact (per Wiki), Missouri produced the oldest reported Eastern Red Cedar, at 795 years old.

Native range shown in green...

220pxjuniperusvirginian.png

Yes, and the MDC Nurseries sell them as wildlife cover and food source. They are a valuable source of lumber.

Here is an article from the MDC that states oldest MO Red Cedar is over 1000 years old but cultivation started in 1664? Naturally occurring Red Cedar have been here for a long time, man has cultivated it for forest products or by misuse of land since 1664. Old wives tale, if you plant a cedar, by the time it grows to shadow your grave, you will die = bad luck..

MDC Eastern RedCedar

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

Though Cedar is native to Missouri, it can also be classified as an envasive species. Without the natural fires that took place before we fixed it, Cedars used to be kept in check. Many of them would burn with the wild prairie and forest fires. But such is not the case now and they can take over and become the dominate species very quickly due in part to a relitive fast growth rate. And once they get a foothold, they will choke out everything else.

And at one time Cedars were havested like the mighty oak. In fact they were floated to Branson down the James and White for a short period of time. They were used mainly for post. Railroads used the larger ones for the telegraph lines. They were to last 75 to 100 years and thus very low maintanence.

Chief Grey Bear

Living is dangerous to your health

Owner Ozark Fishing Expeditions

Co-Owner, Chief Executive Product Development Team Jerm Werm

Executive Pro Staff Team Agnew

Executive Pro Staff Paul Dallas Productions

Executive Pro Staff Team Heddon, River Division

Chief Primary Consultant Missouri Smallmouth Alliance

Executive Vice President Ronnie Moore Outdoors