• Root Admin

This has been an incredible trip so far. The ecosystem in this country has been spared by both the natives and from outside development for the most part so if you´re wanting to travel and see untouched cloud rain forrests, birds, monkeys and other animals, you should consider Guyana. I knew very little about this country befor taking this trip but I do now. I love the people and the forrests. We have stayed in some pretty cool places, off the beatened path for sure.

Highlites so far... the Harpy Eagle is #1 by far. It was a young bird on a nest deep in the forrest, about a 45 minute walk from the road. We watched the nest for 9 hours yesterday hoping the mom would bring a sloth or a monkey to eat... and again for 3 hours this morning but she was a no show. At the juvinile´s age, she probably only comes very 4 days. Got some great pics and videos though. Did see Haller, red faced Spider and Saki monkies on the walks in and 2 days ago 3 of us saw a Jaguar on the road, a VERY rare sighting. We are up to over 160 species of birds, hoping to add many more in the next 2 days here on the savanna.

We are staying at Rockview Lodge... look it up. It is a nice place for sure. Very unique story.

Be home Sunday. See ya!

Lilleys Landing logo 150.jpg

This has been an incredible trip so far. The ecosystem in this country has been spared by both the natives and from outside development for the most part so if you´re wanting to travel and see untouched cloud rain forrests, birds, monkeys and other animals, you should consider Guyana. I knew very little about this country befor taking this trip but I do now. I love the people and the forrests. We have stayed in some pretty cool places, off the beatened path for sure.

Highlites so far... the Harpy Eagle is #1 by far. It was a young bird on a nest deep in the forrest, about a 45 minute walk from the road. We watched the nest for 9 hours yesterday hoping the mom would bring a sloth or a monkey to eat... and again for 3 hours this morning but she was a no show. At the juvinile´s age, she probably only comes very 4 days. Got some great pics and videos though. Did see Haller, red faced Spider and Saki monkies on the walks in and 2 days ago 3 of us saw a Jaguar on the road, a VERY rare sighting. We are up to over 160 species of birds, hoping to add many more in the next 2 days here on the savanna.

We are staying at Rockview Lodge... look it up. It is a nice place for sure. Very unique story.

Be home Sunday. See ya!

Enjoy yourself. Be safe.

Dano

Glass Has Class

"from the laid back lane in the Arkansas Ozarks"

• Root Admin

Another beautiful day on the tropical savana... cloudy and in the upper 70´s, breezy and cool. I´m surprised how mild it is here, but it is fairly humid all the time. Not as many bugs either, except for the mites or chiggers that got us all earlier in the week.

Lots of new birds today- and add a Capuchin monkey to my list.

We going fishing tomorrow am on a close river but they told us this evening that the road is muddy and slick from rains the last couple of days and the neighbor´s truck got stuck today so we can´t chance the trip, get stuck and miss our flight tomorrow to Georgetown. We were going to rent a couple of canoes, use hand lines and pieces of beef and chicken to catch piranha. Next time perhaps.

It´s so nice to have internet here... way out in the middle of no where.

• Root Admin

Didn't get to go fishing... unseasonal rains muddied up the road too much and ppl were getting stuck. We didn't want to miss our plane yesterday to Georgetown so we went birding instead.

After we flew to Georgetown, we headed to a river outside of town. Six of us jumped in a 16 ft wooden boat with a driver and guide and headed out to find the Hoatzin (pronounced Watson). Cool river, not too wide and stained a dark brown but not muddy, thick vegetation along the edges with lots of birds and Haller monkeys. Guide said there were piranha were there. Saw fish rising... wanted my fly rod!! Next time.

Got up this am at 2 (midnight central) after a few hours sleep. Marsha and I stayed in the same room, same bed that then President Carter stayed in back in the late 70's - Cara Lodge. Drove an hour to the airport, made our connections and now we're back in the good ol' USA. Lots of other stories to tell, pics and vids to load. Will take a few days to get around so... be back in the Ozarks tomorrow.

hoatzin2.jpg

the Hoatzin

• Root Admin

Here are a couple of links to about 300 images from our Guyana trip. I think everyone can access the facebook pages... if not, let me know.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=342974&id=503474464&l=e69f2cc687

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=342995&id=503474464&l=cf658c2cb7