• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Donna G

Donna G

Goldeye

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing, tournament bass fishing, practicing for a tournament. :) Golfing when it is miserably hot and the fish are sluggish.

Posted 28 November 2010 - 11:30 AM

We're probably honor bound to fish the Polar Bear since we usually do and will catch crap if we don't. Unfortunately, Beaver usually kicks our butt. Anyone else fishing it? I haven't heard what the entry fee is this year.
Donna Gilzow
Bella Vista, Arkansas

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
--John Buchan, 1915

#2 Hogfan

Hogfan

Carp

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:47 PM

When is that Donna? Is it on New Year's day or something like that? I've never fished it, but may try to this year.

#3 Stump bumper

Stump bumper

Rainbow Trout

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:24 PM

I have fished it for the past 5 years or so, but boat problems and finical problems will keep me out this year.

#4 Champ188

Champ188

Bigeye Chub

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing and golf ... both with my wife and best buddy Donna.

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:39 PM

Yeah, it's New Year's Day. Always great to kick off the new year by getting my butt kicked on Big Beav. :cold: :noway:
James Gilzow
Bella Vista, AR

Fishing adds days to a man's life — and life to his days.
— Homer Circle

#5 Quillback

Quillback

Highfin Carpsucker

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,874 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:30 AM

Was it last year or 2 years ago that someone weighed in a 10 lb bass? Pretty impressive fish for The Beav.

#6 Donna G

Donna G

Goldeye

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing, tournament bass fishing, practicing for a tournament. :) Golfing when it is miserably hot and the fish are sluggish.

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:41 PM

I forgot about the big fish! I can't remember. I bet Champ knows. I didn't get to fish January 2009 because I was recovering from kidney cancer surgery. I think that's the year they had a record 110 boats and I believe it's also the big fish year. Guess I should skip more often. :)
Donna Gilzow
Bella Vista, Arkansas

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
--John Buchan, 1915

#7 Quillback

Quillback

Highfin Carpsucker

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,874 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:27 AM

Nah, no need to skip, hopefully you and Champ will win it this year!

#8 Donna G

Donna G

Goldeye

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:34 AM

I like the way you think Quillback! We're planning to fish it. Sort of a tradition with us. We're pretty tame. No rowdy New Year's celebrations for us. Freezing our butts off for 12" spots. That's the way we roll. :lol:
Donna Gilzow
Bella Vista, Arkansas

--John Buchan, 1915

#9 Champ188

Champ188

Bigeye Chub

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:27 AM

Guys, I will look it up when I get to work (at the newspaper) and post again, but as I recall, that 10-pounder was caught during a small club tournament. It was wintertime but I don't believe it was during the Polar Bear. I do definitely remember that it was caught on a Wiggle Wart in phantom brown.
James Gilzow
Bella Vista, AR

— Homer Circle

#10 Champ188

Champ188

Bigeye Chub

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:36 PM

Here's the article about the 10-pound, 11-ounce fish. It was caught Dec. 1, 2007.

BEAVER LAKE LARGEMOUTH
THE BIGGEST IN YEARS
A 10-pound, 11-ounce largemouth bass caught from Beaver Lake on Dec. 1 was not only the catch of a lifetime for Aaron Adams of Springdale, but also the largest reported from the lake in 15 years or more.
District fisheries biologist Ron Moore with the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission in Rogers had to probe distant memories to recall a bigger bass.
“The only one I can recall is an 11-pound bass we shocked up while electro-fishing in War Eagle Creek, and that was at least 15 years ago,” Moore said Friday.
According to my own memories of Beaver Lake bassin’ over the past eight years, the biggest bass have been a 9-pounder caught the Monday after a FLW Wal-Mart Open several years ago and an 8-pounder caught during the annual Buddy Bass Tournament in May.
Adams’ big bass came off a main-lake shoreline between Prairie Creek and Rocky Branch, suggesting it may have been released after a bass tournament in recent years. Most lunker largemouths come from the lake’s White River arm.
Adams and his partner, Ronnie Bell of Hindsville, were casting crank baits along a short stretch of rocky, wooded shoreline where they had already caught largemouths of 5 pounds, 3 ounces and 3 pounds, 8 ounces.
“I threw between two standing trees in about 5 feet of water and she hit right between the two trees,” Adams recalled Friday.
After hitting a phantom orange-colored Original Series Wiggle Wart, the bass went down and stayed down, giving little clue to its identity.
“It felt so heavy, I thought I had hooked a big catfish; I had never fought a 10-pound bass before,” Adams said.
It wasn’t until the fish was netted that he saw what he had. “I was totally shocked and amazed,” Adams said, adding that he was glad he didn’t know it was a bass until it was safely in hand.
The big largemouth was exceptionally healthy and beautifully proportioned for its weight, with a length of 24 1/4 inches and a girth of 22 inches.
It also was strong and lively during its short stay at Prairie Creek Park for weigh-in of the Christian AmBASSadors Bass Club tournament that Adams and Bell won with a six-bass limit totaling 22 pounds, 12 ounces.
Adams said he would be more than content with a replica mount of his fish and was grateful for the $150 donated toward the cost by Aaron Jolliff at Hook, Line & Sinker in Rogers.
James Gilzow
Bella Vista, AR

— Homer Circle

#11 Quillback

Quillback

Highfin Carpsucker

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,874 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:52 AM

Thanks for posting that article Champ, wow it was 3 years ago, how time flies!

#12 Hogfan

Hogfan

Carp

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:23 PM

Anyone get out and practice for the Polar Bear today?? :lol:

Man is it cold out! :cold:

#13 Donna G

Donna G

Goldeye

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:11 AM

Not yet. Having carpal tunnel surgery today. We may not get a practice day in until Christmas Eve and then the Monday after Christmas. You been at all?
Donna Gilzow
Bella Vista, Arkansas

--John Buchan, 1915

#14 Hogfan

Hogfan

Carp

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:19 PM

Got out for a few hours Saturday and probably caught 10 or so. Put in at Blue Springs and the water temp was mid 40s way up there. That was before this cold snap. Caught them cranking and on a jig. Nick at Hook, Line and Sinker said it took 21lbs to win Roger Harp's tourney last weekend!

#15 Donna G

Donna G

Goldeye

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 06:50 AM

We're going today. Haven't been in awhile. My first outing since carpal tunnel surgery last Thursday. Oh boy! Temps in the forties? Dang it's moved on down. Jerk bait! Not sure my hand is ready for cranking a Wart. Maybe I could 'drag' a drop shot. lol
Donna Gilzow
Bella Vista, Arkansas

--John Buchan, 1915

#16 Stump bumper

Stump bumper

Rainbow Trout

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:31 AM

We're going today. Haven't been in awhile. My first outing since carpal tunnel surgery last Thursday. Oh boy! Temps in the forties? Dang it's moved on down. Jerk bait! Not sure my hand is ready for cranking a Wart. Maybe I could 'drag' a drop shot. lol

That cold is going to hurt on an open wound. :cold: Good luck, maybe you could work a spoon for a while, it doesn't require much casting.

#17 jeb

jeb

Shovelnose Sturgeon

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 11:45 AM

Hope you did well. I'm finding temps in the 42-45 range in the mid-lake area right now.
John B
08 Skeeter SL210, 225F Yamaha

#18 Donna G

Donna G

Goldeye

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:49 PM

That cold is going to hurt on an open wound. :cold: Good luck, maybe you could work a spoon for a while, it doesn't require much casting.

ANYTHING that didn't require casting would have been better. Reeling didn't hurt, but casting was painful. I couldn't keep up with Champ188, but then I usually can't anyway. :) We had four keepers between the two of us and a few shorts. Three keepers on a Wart and one scrubbing a grub. The shorts were on jerk baits and warts. We started late and quit early. Probably not going to fish the Polar Bear.
Donna Gilzow
Bella Vista, Arkansas

--John Buchan, 1915

#19 Donna G

Donna G

Goldeye

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:52 PM

Hope you did well. I'm finding temps in the 42-45 range in the mid-lake area right now.

We didn't stray too terribly far from Prairie Creek. Temps around there were 45-47 on the flasher. The graph usually reads slightly different. See my reply to Stump bumper on how we did.
Donna Gilzow
Bella Vista, Arkansas

--John Buchan, 1915

#20 Stump bumper

Stump bumper

Rainbow Trout

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 03:29 PM

ANYTHING that didn't require casting would have been better. Reeling didn't hurt, but casting was painful. I couldn't keep up with Champ188, but then I usually can't anyway. :) We had four keepers between the two of us and a few shorts. Three keepers on a Wart and one scrubbing a grub. The shorts were on jerk baits and warts. We started late and quit early. Probably not going to fish the Polar Bear.

Maybe you could talk Champ into some vertical fishing, just let down the spoon or drop shot over some deep points or brush piles. Sounds like it would be eaiser on your wrist. Just be sure to leave the warts and jerk baits at home to avoid temptation. I was doing that right in Prarie Creek last winter looking for a few whites/stripers and landed two 5lb plus blacks.

Sorry to hear you won't be in the Polar Bear, I hope you feel better soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

count web page traffic
XM Satellite Radio