Quick Lake Levels

Generation Schedule

Polar Bear

35 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

We're probably honor bound to fish the Polar Bear since we usually do and will catch crap if we don't. Unfortunately, Beaver usually kicks our butt. Anyone else fishing it? I haven't heard what the entry fee is this year.

Posted · Report post

When is that Donna? Is it on New Year's day or something like that? I've never fished it, but may try to this year.

Posted · Report post

I have fished it for the past 5 years or so, but boat problems and finical problems will keep me out this year.

Posted · Report post

Yeah, it's New Year's Day. Always great to kick off the new year by getting my butt kicked on Big Beav. :cold::noway:

Posted · Report post

Was it last year or 2 years ago that someone weighed in a 10 lb bass? Pretty impressive fish for The Beav.

Posted · Report post

I forgot about the big fish! I can't remember. I bet Champ knows. I didn't get to fish January 2009 because I was recovering from kidney cancer surgery. I think that's the year they had a record 110 boats and I believe it's also the big fish year. Guess I should skip more often. :)

Posted · Report post

Nah, no need to skip, hopefully you and Champ will win it this year!

Posted · Report post

I like the way you think Quillback! We're planning to fish it. Sort of a tradition with us. We're pretty tame. No rowdy New Year's celebrations for us. Freezing our butts off for 12" spots. That's the way we roll. :lol:

Posted · Report post

Guys, I will look it up when I get to work (at the newspaper) and post again, but as I recall, that 10-pounder was caught during a small club tournament. It was wintertime but I don't believe it was during the Polar Bear. I do definitely remember that it was caught on a Wiggle Wart in phantom brown.

Posted · Report post

Here's the article about the 10-pound, 11-ounce fish. It was caught Dec. 1, 2007.

BEAVER LAKE LARGEMOUTH

THE BIGGEST IN YEARS

A 10-pound, 11-ounce largemouth bass caught from Beaver Lake on Dec. 1 was not only the catch of a lifetime for Aaron Adams of Springdale, but also the largest reported from the lake in 15 years or more.

District fisheries biologist Ron Moore with the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission in Rogers had to probe distant memories to recall a bigger bass.

“The only one I can recall is an 11-pound bass we shocked up while electro-fishing in War Eagle Creek, and that was at least 15 years ago,” Moore said Friday.

According to my own memories of Beaver Lake bassin’ over the past eight years, the biggest bass have been a 9-pounder caught the Monday after a FLW Wal-Mart Open several years ago and an 8-pounder caught during the annual Buddy Bass Tournament in May.

Adams’ big bass came off a main-lake shoreline between Prairie Creek and Rocky Branch, suggesting it may have been released after a bass tournament in recent years. Most lunker largemouths come from the lake’s White River arm.

Adams and his partner, Ronnie Bell of Hindsville, were casting crank baits along a short stretch of rocky, wooded shoreline where they had already caught largemouths of 5 pounds, 3 ounces and 3 pounds, 8 ounces.

“I threw between two standing trees in about 5 feet of water and she hit right between the two trees,” Adams recalled Friday.

After hitting a phantom orange-colored Original Series Wiggle Wart, the bass went down and stayed down, giving little clue to its identity.

“It felt so heavy, I thought I had hooked a big catfish; I had never fought a 10-pound bass before,” Adams said.

It wasn’t until the fish was netted that he saw what he had. “I was totally shocked and amazed,” Adams said, adding that he was glad he didn’t know it was a bass until it was safely in hand.

The big largemouth was exceptionally healthy and beautifully proportioned for its weight, with a length of 24 1/4 inches and a girth of 22 inches.

It also was strong and lively during its short stay at Prairie Creek Park for weigh-in of the Christian AmBASSadors Bass Club tournament that Adams and Bell won with a six-bass limit totaling 22 pounds, 12 ounces.

Adams said he would be more than content with a replica mount of his fish and was grateful for the $150 donated toward the cost by Aaron Jolliff at Hook, Line & Sinker in Rogers.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for posting that article Champ, wow it was 3 years ago, how time flies!

Posted · Report post

Anyone get out and practice for the Polar Bear today?? :lol:

Man is it cold out! :cold:

Posted · Report post

Not yet. Having carpal tunnel surgery today. We may not get a practice day in until Christmas Eve and then the Monday after Christmas. You been at all?

Posted · Report post

Got out for a few hours Saturday and probably caught 10 or so. Put in at Blue Springs and the water temp was mid 40s way up there. That was before this cold snap. Caught them cranking and on a jig. Nick at Hook, Line and Sinker said it took 21lbs to win Roger Harp's tourney last weekend!

Posted · Report post

We're going today. Haven't been in awhile. My first outing since carpal tunnel surgery last Thursday. Oh boy! Temps in the forties? Dang it's moved on down. Jerk bait! Not sure my hand is ready for cranking a Wart. Maybe I could 'drag' a drop shot. lol

Posted · Report post

We're going today. Haven't been in awhile. My first outing since carpal tunnel surgery last Thursday. Oh boy! Temps in the forties? Dang it's moved on down. Jerk bait! Not sure my hand is ready for cranking a Wart. Maybe I could 'drag' a drop shot. lol

That cold is going to hurt on an open wound. :cold: Good luck, maybe you could work a spoon for a while, it doesn't require much casting.

Posted · Report post

Hope you did well. I'm finding temps in the 42-45 range in the mid-lake area right now.

Posted · Report post

That cold is going to hurt on an open wound. :cold: Good luck, maybe you could work a spoon for a while, it doesn't require much casting.

ANYTHING that didn't require casting would have been better. Reeling didn't hurt, but casting was painful. I couldn't keep up with Champ188, but then I usually can't anyway. :) We had four keepers between the two of us and a few shorts. Three keepers on a Wart and one scrubbing a grub. The shorts were on jerk baits and warts. We started late and quit early. Probably not going to fish the Polar Bear.

Posted · Report post

Hope you did well. I'm finding temps in the 42-45 range in the mid-lake area right now.

We didn't stray too terribly far from Prairie Creek. Temps around there were 45-47 on the flasher. The graph usually reads slightly different. See my reply to Stump bumper on how we did.

Posted · Report post

ANYTHING that didn't require casting would have been better. Reeling didn't hurt, but casting was painful. I couldn't keep up with Champ188, but then I usually can't anyway. :) We had four keepers between the two of us and a few shorts. Three keepers on a Wart and one scrubbing a grub. The shorts were on jerk baits and warts. We started late and quit early. Probably not going to fish the Polar Bear.

Maybe you could talk Champ into some vertical fishing, just let down the spoon or drop shot over some deep points or brush piles. Sounds like it would be eaiser on your wrist. Just be sure to leave the warts and jerk baits at home to avoid temptation. I was doing that right in Prarie Creek last winter looking for a few whites/stripers and landed two 5lb plus blacks.

Sorry to hear you won't be in the Polar Bear, I hope you feel better soon.

Posted · Report post

You can't ever tell about us. We might stumble over there Saturday. :D

Warts and jerk baits or spoons and drop shot when you caught the two 5lb?

Posted · Report post

You can't ever tell about us. We might stumble over there Saturday. :D

Warts and jerk baits or spoons and drop shot when you caught the two 5lb?

I caught them off spoons right in the no wake zone on that first point, deep. Saw them feeding on shad on the locator and thought whites, but ended up being two good blacks, just thought about all those tourneys I fished that 5 fish didn't add up to those two!

I have started fishing spoons a lot more this year and there is not much in the lake that hasn;t hit one, walleye, catfish, whites, stripers and even a 2lb gizzard shad.

Saturday will be a real hard cold front on the back of some really nice weather. In my book that says the fish will hold tight to cover and bottom and not move very far to feed and the wart bite will die between Friday and Saturday. But then I am usually wrong. :wacko:

Posted · Report post

We're probably honor bound to fish the Polar Bear since we usually do and will catch crap if we don't. Unfortunately, Beaver usually kicks our butt. Anyone else fishing it? I haven't heard what the entry fee is this year.

The entry fee is $60 per boat and includes big bass. Registration from 5:30 to 7 a.m. Jan. 1 at Prairie Creek park. Fishing is from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. First prize is $1,500.

Posted · Report post

Polar Bear entry fee is $60 per boat and includes big bass. Registration is from 5:30 to 7 a.m. at Prairie Creek ramp. Fishing is from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. First prize is $1,500.

Posted · Report post

Polar Bear entry fee is $60 per boat and includes big bass. Registration is from 5:30 to 7 a.m. at Prairie Creek ramp. Fishing is from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. First prize is $1,500.

How is the payout set up?

Posted · Report post

Based on the weather forecast, it's going to be very "Polar" in the AM Saturday. Hopefully someone can post the results, it will be interesting to see what the winners bag weight is.

Posted · Report post

It might be worth packing the video camera to watch the boats being backed down the ramp if temps get as low as they are talking.

Posted · Report post

Good rain storm and wind right on the lake tonight should stir the mud up real good, so cold and muddy I wouldn't have a clue. I am thinking the father north the cleaner the water and clear and cold is better than muddy and cold.

I don't think it will take 20lbs this year.

There is another Polar Bear out of Hickory Creek Marina that is $35 from 7am til 3pm that will probally have a little less compention if someone is looking to save some money.

Posted · Report post

Anyone know what it took to win? Who won? The weights for 2nd 3rd etc?

Posted · Report post

Anyone know what it took to win? Who won? The weights for 2nd 3rd etc?

I'd like to know the results myself. My bud fished it and his boater lost a 4.5lb at the boat and had 3 keepers that I know of. Didn't get the final report from him yet.

Posted · Report post

Took 16.88 to win. On the 5th cast, my bud's boater lost a 4.5lb fish at side of the boat. Then he lost (2) 2lb fish the same way on two consecutive casts. After the numb-skulls finally got the net out, they weighed in a 6 bass limit. If they hadn't have lost those fish, they could have probably run around 16lbs and possibly the lead. Big fish was around 6lbs. All incredible weight for a winter fishing tournament on a blue-bird day with frigid temps. Well done to those guys/gals!

As for my "I don't use a net" buddy.....

USE THE NET GOOBER! :crywithno:

:lol:

Posted · Report post

Wife and I went out and watched the weigh in for a while. Lots of 11-14 lb bags of 6 fish being weighed. Saw that 6.40lber get weighed, too. BIG fish! Several over 5, too. Almost a 3lb per fish average for the winners. Incredible!

Posted · Report post

The Benton County Daily record had a short article about the tournament, the winners said they used crawdad colored cranks, jerkbaits and jigs. Targeting windy banks between Prairie Creek and the dam. One of the members of the 2nd place team was the son of one of the members of the winning team, they weighed in with 14.94 lbs. 3rd place was 14.7 lbs.

Posted · Report post

Thats some pretty heavy bags for the conditions they had. I would sure be happy with nearly 17lbs on a day like that.

Posted · Report post

Targeting windy banks between Prairie Creek and the dam.

LOL! I guess that's being kind of general about the area they fished. There's only what, like 100 miles of banks between PC and the dam? :D