Home Waters

Phil Lilley

Home Waters  

728 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Root Admin

I'm surprised there aren't more voters... and only 2 on Table Rock???

I really thought those who read and don't join couldn't resist registering and at least voting here. I know there's those who live out east or west who visit- post your home waters where ever you are... just for the fun of it.

Lilleys Landing logo 150.jpg

• 2 months later...

Yeah, Phil, I'm surprised too. These polls are kewl and you learn a lot about they people on the forum.

A year ago, I would probably claim the Spring River in Arkansas as my home waters, but with living in Nixa, Taney is/will be "home" for me...

TIGHT LINES, YA'LL

"There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process." - Paul O’Neil

• Members

My home water is Pokegama Lake, Grand Rapids, Minnesota. Large mouth, small mouth, walleye, northern pike, lake trout, crappie, sun fish, and it is connected to the Mississippi River. Lots of water and lots of options. I have been known to go down to the warm water discharge bay in the middle of winter, plow out the landing and haul my 20' Ranger down there and catch lots of big bass while others are driving across the ice about 500 yards away, going to their fish houses. Now that's fishing at it's finest. :)

• 2 weeks later...
My home water is Pokegama Lake, Grand Rapids, Minnesota. Large mouth, small mouth, walleye, northern pike, lake trout, crappie, sun fish, and it is connected to the Mississippi River. Lots of water and lots of options. I have been known to go down to the warm water discharge bay in the middle of winter, plow out the landing and haul my 20' Ranger down there and catch lots of big bass while others are driving across the ice about 500 yards away, going to their fish houses. Now that's fishing at it's finest. :)

Since your post says your home waters are connected to the Mighty Mississippi, I was wondering if those "Bighead" or "Silver" carp have made it up your way yet HawgHunter ? The way the darned things leap clear out of the water about 4 to 5 feet in the air is about most dangerous thing I've ever seen, specially if you're tooling along at the speed most 20' Rangers will run... Been told by a couple MO Dept. of Conservation agents that if they get in your waters you better be wearing protective gear or have something substantial in front of you in your boat to deflect them. We have heard of people being knocked out of their boats by this invasive species.

It had to be Eleven Point, my first trout and the best of times for the best of friendships. True home waters would be the St. Francis, Big River, Castor River, Whitewater River, Little Black, 10 Mile, Crooked Creek, Bear Creek, Cane Creek, Duck Creek, Stanley Creek, and the Saline Creek for warm water smallies, kentuckies, largemouth, goggle eye, pikers, panfish, carp, and gar. They are local and fished the most. A natural, bright, pink sided Rainbow from the 11 pt. is the most beautiful fish in Missouri. The only other place I have seen rainbows like that would be Montana Creek in Alaska.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

• 1 month later...

To keep the thread alive I had to answer 'Other' since I live near the Spring River in Arkansas. As a matter of fact I live on the South Fork though I fish the cold water of the Spring more often. I have a passion for 'my' river and it is why I chose to live here rather than nearer the big tailwater rivers.

Yes it has a problem with the 'aluminum hatch' in Summer, but it is the only 'natural' trout waters in the state and the biggest spring creek between Pennsylvania and Montana. While I'm not complaining I find it a great wonderment that others haven't 'discovered' the unique aspects of 'my' river.

The Spring 'saved my bacon' so many times in the decades when I made the long drive from Texas only to find the tailwaters too high to wade that I eventually came to consider IT my destination and the tailwaters as the lay-backs. It doesn't have the huge fish that the tailwaters do but I think that it soon will.

The back-up waters above Dam 3 where the state trout hatchery is located provide such incredible habitat conducive to raising Browns of epic proportions that I think it only a matter of time before some surprised bass fisherman hauls a Brown out of it that will make sports pages across the nation.

That's my story and I'ma stickin' to it! B) Tom

"You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in their struggle for independence." ---Charles Austin Beard

Shhhh. Enough people know about the river. I would like to see a trophy area above dam 3 or from dam 3 to the first island to increase the size of the fish. There have been big browns in the past, I saw one take a stocker rainbow at the end of dam 3 island. Needless to say, he did not pay attention to my size 12 beadhead nymph. Since the muskies have been stocked, the numbers of brown, cutts, and brookies have declined to near nothing.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

Well, Phil, I think my home waters is the only sizable float stream in MO that's not listed...Big River. I grew up within a mile of it and have been fishing it every year for close to 50 years now. Most years I get in at least one float trip to every section of the river from the headwaters to Browns Ford, a distance of something like 75 miles. Sadly, the river is absolutely nothing like the smallmouth stream it used to be. The spotted bass have now substantially taken over much of the river, and with a general scarcity of smallmouths the big ones are few and far between. The Meramec used to be my "second" home water, but I don't fish it as much as I once did because it too has declined significantly. I guess these days I still fish Big River and the Meramec more than any other streams, but only because they are still close to home.

Trout? Upper Current or Meramec.

Lakes? I only fish for reservoir bass about once a year, always on Pomme de Terre because that's where the one tournament I fish (with my dad) is held.

Interesting poll, but wish you could make more than one entry. In SW MO I fish Elk, Big Sugar, Little Sugar, Grand Lake, Beaver, James River, Capps, Shoal Creek, Hickory, and another one I won't mention.

"you can always beat the keeper, but you can never beat the post"

There are only three things in life that are certain : death, taxes, and the wind blowing at Capps Creek!