Home Waters

Phil Lilley

Home Waters  

728 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Members

I live and fish on Fort Gibson Lake America. Near Wagoner, OK. I do however like to hook up the charger and fish other waters from time to time. you can learn a little about Ft. Gibson on my website at http://fortgibsonlake.tripod.com/

It is an amateur site hosted on tripod so you have to put up with some ads, sorry.

lakefolksig2.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Northeast Oklahoma lakes: Grand Lake O' The Cherokees , Hudson , Ft.Gibson , Tenkiller(Jimmy Houston's home lake),Eufaula , Skiatook and Keystone.Come over some time and i'll take y'all fishin!! Out of these lakes Hudson is my favorite.Big Largemouth and Spots

• 2 months later...
  • Members
I would have to say center creek.lived my hole life 1/4 mile away from it and it runs through my land full of brownies,crappie,goggle,gills,and a few trout,cant beat that!!

i always wondered if upper center creek had any trout in it

• 2 weeks later...

It is funny how many people say Taney is thier home waters.

I thought the thread was based on where people grew up.

Thats why there is so many that said "other waters" and why there is so many selections. Is it really true that this site is nothing but a majority of Taney Homeland fisherman? If that is so, then why is the lower Taney forumn comprised of just a few individuals?

When I was 10 or so my gramps bought me a boat. A little one but he said go at it. Granted at that age, myself and my brothers just wanted to goof and swim, but bull creek was our playground. My dad was the first one to put a rope up the bull creek for us. Since then, that rope has been replaced for decades. Used by so many kids. Replaced by whom? I dont know.

Fishing Taney has always been a steady cause. Even when I moved away and become a guide in the tropics for peacock bass or it be tuna in the bay of panama. I even played a little in the Bass tourney stuff. Home was always Taney.

I followed jobs from Iowa to South Carolina. The catfishing is the best in both places. Taney don't have that action. Pike and walleye in Iowa was outstanding!. The bass in South Carolina beats Taney without a doubt. But I am always driven home.

Taney is a tough bird. Escpecially the lower. I get on my boat and have one goal. To catch one fish. Once I do that, I can relax, and enjoy my day. For everything else is a bonus. Even with that mindset, I catch more fish in a year than anyone I know. Is it time in grade? Hell yeah! Nobody knows the lower better than me!

But this lake is a fickle monster. Never forget that.

I have fished mexico, honduras, costa rica, and was a guide for four years for peacock bass in Panama. Catching 300 plus fish a day. So many I had muscle failure and raw thumbs from lipping fish. I still get a bunch of gratitude if I catch more than one fish here on the lower taney.

I am known for catching huge brownies. Bass is just a segment when it comes to this lake. Until the floods I could go out and pick up a 5 pounder without a thought. Now a days, it is struggle to find a single brownie, yet alone one of size.

I live on the lake. Sooner or later it will get back to normal. I am guessing the ladder will be very small pickings this year!

I am also guessing that with this poll of home waters, the results are more of what people wish more than reality. I am 4 generations Taneycomo. Going back before table rock dam was built. Old school rockaway beach when it was the queen of the ozarks.

"May success follow your every cast." - Trav P. Johnson

I would list my "home waters" as the Dry Auglaize Creek which would fall in the category of "others". It is located in Laclede & Camden counties. It is referred to locally as the Dry Glaize. It is where I learned to wade & fly fish as a kid back in the late 50's and early 60's. My first fly rod and reel was a Southbend combination, level and floating fly line with a no-knot eyelet to tie you leader to. Leader material was just a spool of mono tied on at the no-knot eyelet, the length of your rod. This creek was a warm water creek with bass and large perch. Smallmouth were a rare treat on the Dry Glaize.

My "favorite waters" would be Taneycomo. I transitioned from bass to trout in the early 60's at Bennett Springs. About 1975 I made my first trip to T-como, and have fished it on a regular basis ever since. It is my number one choice in all of missouri and arkansas.

• 1 month later...