Weird Winter Weather Puzzles Scientists

Yes, we do. Temperature data can be extrapolated from ice-core samples up to 800,000 years ago, and longer-term but less detailed temperature data can be extrapolated from sediment-core samples in the hundreds of millions of years.

But we don't really need to go back that far to see that something drastic is happening now. Just look at the second graph that shows temperature data for the last 2,000 years. Is that not a glaringly obvious anomaly going on in the last 50-75 years of the graph? It is to me.

Then look at the third graph, which shows CO2 levels. Is there any doubt that because of the industrial revolution we've hugely increased the amount of CO2 in the last 100 years to beyond natural levels? Is there any doubt that CO2 emissions can and do have an effect on global temperature?

This data tells only one story, and I don't understand how anyone can come to any conclusion other than human pollution is &%*$#!@ up this planet.

So what did you do today to stop pollution? You obviously used a computer that used electricity, the generation probably caused pollution. Did you walk to work? Or did you just sit around an blame Rush while you listened to him on the radio?

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a political figure, so my personal opinion and take on the matter could not be confused as being political. It is a statement. Most seem to want to confuse science with politics and there is no comparison.

Global warming started at the end of the last Ice Age, did we cause that?

Ok JD, I won't inflict any more semantics on you...but the question about how much carbon we are currently liberating stands (and don't forget to add to that the amount of timber being burned and cut and the effect of things like plowing).

And no. Given that we probably had a global population of a few million or less at that time, we certainly did not cause the warming at the end of the Ice Age.

Let's not forget the fact that man is introducing more carbon into the atmosphere and at the same time reducing the rain forests which have a significant role in converting carbon to oxygen.

A link for those who can't look it up for themselves.

There's a fine line between fishing and sitting there looking stupid.

And no. Given that we probably had a global population of a few million or less at that time, we certainly did not cause the warming at the end of the Ice Age.

what did then?

everything in this post is purely opinion and is said to annoy you.

So what did you do today to stop pollution? You obviously used a computer that used electricity, the generation probably caused pollution. Did you walk to work? Or did you just sit around an blame Rush while you listened to him on the radio?

I can't explain it to you better than Al already has, so re-read his post:

And please, please, get off the kick of calling others hypocrites because they use fossil fuels. We all do. We all HAVE to. The solution is not for everybody to just stop using fossil fuels, the solution is for governments and industries and entrepreneurs and societies to come up with viable alternatives. And that takes an agreement among the members of those societies that finding alternatives has a high priority. Meanwhile, limiting use of fossil fuels through conservation measures and better use of existing alternative technologies is the way to go, but no sane person is expecting nor demanding that everybody just stop using fossil fuels and suffer. That's a Rushbeckian talking point.

what did then?

If you were interested in knowing, you'd Google it yourself. The information is out there, you just have to click your mouse a few times.

what did then?

Probably the sun followed by increased CO2 releases from the deep sea. Saved you a few clicks there.

L Stott, A Timmermann & R Thunell, Science, 2007, DOI:

10.1126/science.1143791

...and speaking of CO2, JD. Still no word from you about how much CO2 humans are adding to the atmosphere relative to what is there. If your thesis is that humans are so puny we can have no effect, you need to refute the current orthodoxy that says they do. How much carbon are we producing relative to what is out there in the atmosphere already?

I'm pretty convinced that no one will ever change their mind on this or any forum regarding politics, religion, and global warming. People will find something to argue about no matter what the circumstances are.

"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor

• Root Admin

I'm pretty convinced that no one will ever change their mind on this or any forum regarding politics, religion, and global warming. People will find something to argue about no matter what the circumstances are.

Exactly.

Lilleys Landing logo 150.jpg

Let's not forget the fact that man is introducing more carbon into the atmosphere and at the same time reducing the rain forests which have a significant role in converting carbon to oxygen.

In addition deforestation leads to warmer temps much like the concrete jungles.

When I drive from the campground into the mature oak forest we have going up our hill you can feel a big temp. drop as you enter the woods. At the top of the hill you come out of the woods and immediately feel a warm up. Multiply this times all the forests that have been cut and common sense says that adds to the warming factor.

I prefer to look at real life examples that that, and like what Tim has said about people's way of life changing due to different weather patterns. It is only a snapshot, but when generations of people have lived one way, and then their lives have to change due to differences in climate, it is obvious something is going on (because of man's actions).

"The problem with a politician’s quote on Facebook is you don’t know whether or not they really said it." –Abraham Lincoln

Tales of an Ozark Campground Proprietor

Dead Drift Fly Shop