Muskie Fishing

I crappie fish the lake quite a bit, and Saturday the third, I witnessed one boat catch a small muskie about 18" right off the bank, later that morning I was bringing in a small crappie and was about 6' from the boat when a very large muskie just destroyed this crappie. Cut the line real quick and there were no signs of the crappie, so I guess he got it. It was right in the middle of the lake, straight out from the boats. Also earlier that morning, I did see a pretty nice one under my boat while I was drifting. Before the one boat caught the small muskie, I saw a lot of activity near the shoreline, I thought it was either bass or carp. But when they made their cast, thats when they hooked the little guy. I don't know much about Muskie nt sure if thats normal or not. I'll stick with the specs, they fry up nice and tasty. Though I have ate pike, and they're pretty good too. 40" muskie could make a few good meals!!! lol

@lozcrappie

• Members

When you see a lot of activity on the surface you can bet that there is a predator lurking underneath, whether its a bass or a muskie it is normal to see that. your crappie was just a nice little meal for that fish... I should rig a bluegill as life bait next time maybe it will attack it. Dont eat the muskie :) I don't think they stock them anymore...

• 1 month later...
  • Members

When you see a lot of activity on the surface you can bet that there is a predator lurking underneath, whether its a bass or a muskie it is normal to see that. your crappie was just a nice little meal for that fish... I should rig a bluegill as life bait next time maybe it will attack it. Dont eat the muskie :) I don't think they stock them anymore...

Just a bump to keep the topic fresh. Has anyone been out on 35 and hooked up?

Troy

• 3 months later...

a couple of yrs ago, I struck up a conversation with someone at one of our state run duck parks. I think he said he was from Montgomery City, and he mainly Muskie fishes.. We talked about Busch's and he said a few years from this date, that he had caught more Muskie from lake 35 than any other lake in MO. If my memory serves me correctly, I think he had caught 18 that year. I do remember him saying he had one day where he had caught 5. I myself saw 3 this year. One, that somebody else caught, another that hit my fish I was bringing in, and saw a dead floater up close to the bank. 2 years ago, though I never saw it, I'm pretty sure I hooked one on a crankbait, close to the dam. Just the way it fought when I got it close to the boat. Snapped my line before I could see it.

@lozcrappie