Camping In Area?

• Members

Trying to find a place to camp somewhere near Little Piney/Mill/Spring Creek area. I went to Little Piney (Lane Springs) last year and had a great time, but had to sleep in the truck in the parking lot b/c the gates were closed. Seems like there has to be someplace to camp near there.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Lane Spring is the best spot in that area...stay there if its open...though Google Earth shows a campground symbol on the upstream side of 63..off the road headed to the gravel pits on CR 627...I've never checked it out.

Guess you could camp on the USFS land around Wilkins Spring on Mill Creek but they dont allow camping on Bohigian CA or at the FS picnic area. Bring your own water & a shovel. I wouldnt recommend camping on the Forest Service land near Mill Dam Hollow on the Little Piney because its a popular party spot. Cheers.

• Members

Seems like I heard Lane Springs doesn't open until April 1, which is a bummer b/c it's a great looking spot. Wonder if I'd have any trouble if I parked in the lot and walked my tent down to a camp site? I'm not familiar with the Mill Creek area, but would certainly be up for checking it out. I was so impressed with L.Piney that I might have a hard time prying myself away from it especially when I only have 2 days to fish!

• Members

I don't think Lane Springs is open for camping yet, but I know Mill Creek is. I am at Missouri S&T in Rolla and go to mill creek on a weekly basis. There are endless camping spots scattered everywhere with no fees and usually tend to be pretty quiet. I have already been camping there a couple times this year. Just search out a great spot and stake your claim. The spots are spread throughout the park, so sometimes you have to take a little drive to find the perfect one. My favorite spots are either across the low water bridge part way down mill creek road or (when no one is there) I like to camp down by the main spring at the pond. I haven't had a lot of luck fishing out there, but I don't fly fish, so I use that as my excuse! Good luck.

Here's a map...Mill flows into the Little Piney and its a 15 minute trip...if that..Spring Creek is right there too...Camp on the Forest Service Land up by Wilkins Spring.

http://mdc.mo.gov/sites/default/files/resources/2010/05/5632_3540.pdf

Heres a better map of Mill and some of the trails around there...The Natural Bridge is worth a look.

http://www.motrailblazing.com/files/kaintuck_motrailblazing.JPG