Sources Of Ethanol Free Gas

11 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

I'd love to test some of you guys fuel which has "zero alcohol" in it.

What color is a clear glass jar of it ?

Regardless of how much corn your state grows or how much oil comes from your state....the fuel that you buy is refined where?   There's only one pipeline from the refinery to the storage facilities, guys.  No separate pipeline for non-ethanol fuel blends.    

The ethanol is added later. There are places to get non ethanol fuel. My dad had a friend that owned a dragstrip that complained about how hard it was to get ethanol free fuel in Missouri. You can be pretty much guaranteed that if someplace is selling it as racing fuel it’s going to be ethanol free. 

6 hours ago, Quillback said:

I'll say it one more time, I have tested the non-ethanol fuel I get here in AR and it does not contain any ethanol.  Could there be trace amounts?  Maybe, but it certainly isn't 10%.  

I'm not doubting you, QB.   I just have yet to see it.....and I'm skeptical about why everyone thinks it matters.

1 hour ago, Flysmallie said:

My dad had a friend that owned a dragstrip that complained about how hard it was to get ethanol free fuel in Missouri. You can be pretty much guaranteed that if someplace is selling it as racing fuel it’s going to be ethanol free.

Guess what one of the fastest powerboats in the country is. 

So again I ask "Why"?  

What could possibly be wrong with a cooler/cleaner burn that is less prone to detonation ?

Not trying to be a smartass, I really don't know, and I probably should.

24 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

So again I ask "Why"?  

What could possibly be wrong with a cooler/cleaner burn that is less prone to detonation ?

Some of those cars are not allowed to have ethanol because it absorbs moisture and you can change compression ratios with it. Not huge changes but still they monitor that stuff. And yes ethanol will go fast. Look at the Top Alcohol cars in NHRA. But their fuel is checked too. I happened to be at a race where a team was almost disqualified for having too much H2O in their alcohol during a pass. Only thing that saved us was the drum of fuel had just been purchased at that track from their approved vendor. 

But I have no idea why regular people with regular rides care. It’s a clean burning fuel that isn’t hurting anything. 

9 hours ago, Old plug said:

Ethanol 87 89 0r even 91 will sure make a mess of the fuel lines and fuel jets in a lot of boats and outboards

yup.  one of the reasons why i run it.  inevitably some fuel left over all winter in all or most of my outboard gas tanks but I do run it out of the motors.  havnt had a problem starting them or running that older fuel on any of them after 4-6+  months since I made the switch to ethanol free.  Also run it in my small engine 2-cylces but those i typically run all fuel out of tank and carburetors.  

9 hours ago, Old plug said:

Ethanol 87 89 0r even 91 will sure make a mess of the fuel lines and fuel jets in a lot of boats and outboards

That's actually not true.  

#1 fact.  Things made of rubber never did last forever.  Nothing has changed.

#2 fact. The biggest problem with fuel lines and tanks is the EPA mandated liners and one way vents these days.  They are there to prevent seepage of vapor into the atmosphere.....or so they say.  The real reason for them is to lengthen the shelf life of the fuel by sealing it off from the atmosphere.   Those liners degrade even in water (doesn't even have to be fuel) and cause clogged/restricted fuel supply lines. 

Jets and/or injector components, fuel pump diaphragms, and fuel rail O-rings are 100% unaffected by alcohol in the fuel.  But they do deteriorate over time....as they ALWAYS have, even before alcohol was ever introduced into fuel.    Rubber never did last forever, and it still doesn't.  So please stop blaming it on ethanol/alcohol.

20 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

So again I ask "Why"?  

Ethanol has less energy per gallon that gasoline. It takes ~30% more of it to do the same amount of work. Same with propane. 

It also takes more energy to grow the corn, than what can be produced from distillation into ethanol, at this time. That is likely to change though.

Racers love it, E85 usually has an octane rating around 100. You can add more timing and boost, provided that you have a fuel system that's capable of delivering enough of it.

-Austin

Ethanol is about the cheapest octane booster out there, at this time and even if the mandate were removed today the gas companies would still use it, that too might change. The Feds pump money into the economy in a lot of ways and corn/vodka is just one.

https://adventureriderradio.com/adventure-rider-radio-episodes/2018/11/29/ethanol-sabotage-at-the-pump

Ethanol is not added to gasoline at the refineries, it is either the driver of the delivery truck that adds the ethanol to the fuel and in that case the amount of ethanol that is put in to the tanks is not closely monitored. Or it is put directly in to the tanker trucks at the terminals. This is to prevent exposure to water sources. When buying fuel, keep in mind that private gas stations, such as those selling marine fuel, are not necessarily required to follow the same guidelines and laws as public service stations. And although most retailers are required to  label pumps indicating the alcohol levels, some do not have to do this, laws vary widely. Use caution, choose busier fuel stations, be aware of how your engine is supposed to function.