Sources Of Ethanol Free Gas

8 hours ago, tjm said:

How much does the timing need to change as percent of ethanol increases? Can you give a rule of thumb for mechanical timing? 

I don't know since E-10 is all I have experience with.  But I can tell you that regardless of fuel blends all Mercs will live a longer life with the ignition timing retarded 2-4° from factory specs.

Mercury engineers have this thing where they feel they must be the hands down Performance Leader in the industry, and they are.....but there's a price for that.

If timing advance is mechanical you can play with it and see, but if you have crank position sensors and computer controlled advance then you're at the mercy of the programmers.

4 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

Mercury engineers have this thing where they feel they must be the hands down Performance Leader in the industry

Never understood this since you started bring this up.  Does 2-4 MPH really matter?  The only time I see a drop in performance is when my fishing buddy decides to bring am overseas shipping trunk for a tackle bag.:)  Can't hardly use everything in it in 3 days much less a day trip.