34 replies to this topic

#1 MrDontPlay

MrDontPlay

Chestnut Lamprey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 04:40 PM

I'm looking to catch some alligator gar. I'm new to fishing and I've never fished for gar before. What's a good place close to Springfield to catch these things? What bait should I use, and have I been watching too much river monsters? Thanks guys.

#2 Mitch f

Mitch f

Highfin Carpsucker

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Golf, trying to offer meaningful guidance to my kids

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:55 AM

I'm looking to catch some alligator gar. I'm new to fishing and I've never fished for gar before. What's a good place close to Springfield to catch these things? What bait should I use, and have I been watching too much river monsters? Thanks guys.

Don't know where to go but I've always heard you should put a piece of frayed nylon rope above the hook to get their teeth tangled.
"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor

#3 RSBreth

RSBreth

Bigeye Shiner

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:22 AM

The closest place to Springfield for Alligator Gar would be the lower White River in Arkansas. http://www.bassonhoo...rticle 688.html
What we have around here is the Long-Nose and Short-nose varieties.

OZARK OUTDOOR JOURNAL My various ramblings and shenanigans...

#4 Trout Commander

Trout Commander

MFU

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  • Interests:Family, Fly Fishing, Fly Tying, Baseball.

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:02 AM

The closest place to Springfield for Alligator Gar would be the lower White River in Arkansas. http://www.bassonhoo...icle%20688.html

Where could one have a good chance to site fish to either of those flavors of gar around here? I bet they would kill these flies!

Attached Files

I have spent most of my money on fly fishing and beer. The rest I just wasted.

Posted Image
The latest Trout Commander blog post: Niangua River Six Pack

#5 MrDontPlay

MrDontPlay

Chestnut Lamprey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:56 AM

I'd also like to catch the long and short nose ones. I'm not too picky about what bites my hook. Where can I find those around here?

#6 duckydoty

duckydoty

Highfin Carpsucker

• OAF Fishing Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing, Fly Tying, Duck Hunting, Wood Working

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:40 PM

James River below springfield lake or even down at Blunk Hole. I've already caught 3 of them in the last couple of weeks fishing for white bass.
A Little Rain Won't Hurt Them Fish.....They're Already Wet!!
Visit my website at..
Ozark Trout Runners
Posted Image

#7 MrDontPlay

MrDontPlay

Chestnut Lamprey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:09 PM

What's the keeper size?

#8 Trout Commander

Trout Commander

MFU

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  • Interests:Family, Fly Fishing, Fly Tying, Baseball.

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:28 PM

James River below springfield lake

Thanks Duane. I haven't really checked it out, but what I have seen below the dam looks like pretty small water. How far down do you have to go?

I have spent most of my money on fly fishing and beer. The rest I just wasted.

Posted Image
The latest Trout Commander blog post: Niangua River Six Pack

#9 Kayser

Kayser

Rock Bass

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, camping/hiking/backpacking, surfing this forum.

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:51 AM

There's no minimum size on them- they're a non-game fish. Alligator gar, however, are state endangered and must be released. If you want to eat one, just remember not to eat the eggs- they're toxic. Otherwise, good luck in general.

Rob
WARNING!! Comments to be interpreted at own risk.

Keep your dries high, your nymphs down, and your line wet. And remember, it's all about the drift.

#10 duckydoty

duckydoty

Highfin Carpsucker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:05 AM

Thanks Duane. I haven't really checked it out, but what I have seen below the dam looks like pretty small water. How far down do you have to go?

Just below the dam is where I have caught them before.
Visit my website at..
Ozark Trout Runners
Posted Image

#11 MrDontPlay

MrDontPlay

Chestnut Lamprey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:23 AM

Thanks for the tips guys. Is it too early in the year to catch them?

#12 Dan Sweeney

Dan Sweeney

Banded Pygmy Sunfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Traditional/Primitive bowhunting, flyfishing, running, assorted other hunting/fishing good times.

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:52 AM

Allegator gar are really catching on as a fish worth protecting (finally), so you might better check up on regulations regarding "keeper size", limits, permits, etc. Seems like it changes every year right now. The other gar species are more common and less particular, though still FANTASTIC fun to tie into. Probably easier to get ahold of too.

They CAN be caught on a hook, although it's tough to do. You're looking at some pretty heavy duty leaders and heavy gauge hook and still gonna be hit or miss on your hookup percentages cause their mouth is pretty bony. It can happen though, as plenty of river fishermen will tell you. Quite a few longnose get caught by accident.
Silence is golden.

#13 duckydoty

duckydoty

Highfin Carpsucker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:00 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. Is it too early in the year to catch them?

With all this rain, they should be nosing up to the dam of Springfield lake right now. You do not need a hook to catch them on the fly rod. A peice of freyed nylon rope work works great as a lure or fly.
Visit my website at..
Ozark Trout Runners
Posted Image

#14 Wayne SW/MO

Wayne SW/MO

Old MFU Fishermen

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,118 posts
  • Interests:Smallmouth and flows. Trout, carp, temperates, if it swims.

Posted 24 April 2011 - 09:00 AM

The closest place to Springfield for Alligator Gar would be the lower White River in Arkansas. http://www.bassonhoo...icle%20688.html

There are suppose to be some in the bootheel, but no doubt the White would be the better choice. If you want to go a little farther there's the Red river between TX and OK.
Today's release is tomorrows gift to another fisherman.

#15 OzarksRiverman

OzarksRiverman

Freshwater Drum

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 09:24 AM

Is it true that a large gar population in a creek can effect the bass population (i.e. eating them)?

#16 Tim Smith

Tim Smith

Stippled Darter

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 09:53 AM

Is it true that a large gar population in a creek can effect the bass population (i.e. eating them)?

Any large piscivore will take some bass but most of the habitats alligator gar prefer aren't going to have especially good bass populations in the first place and even where they overlap significantly, gar will take what's most abundant (primarily shad and rough fish).

If there were ever a species that begged for catch and release, it is the aligator gar. Topping out well over 7 feet and 200 pounds, they have the potential to be an international tourism draw (with appropriate marketing and safeguards). It's one of the few freshwater fish in North America that puts the angler on an even playing field with the fish.

The Trinity River (just the kind of low-gradient, low oxygen, soft-bottomed river that tends to be a poor bass producer) in Texas now has several guides that specialize in alligator gar and that state is just beginning to wake up to the need for management.

But none of the potential of that fishery is realized unless they reach an age where that enormous size is possible. As has been mentioned already, aligator gar are not common anymore. You can overfish them in a heartbeat.

This one needs to go back into the water.

#17 OzarksRiverman

OzarksRiverman

Freshwater Drum

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 10:21 AM

Thanks for that, I was actually talking about the long-nose gar that lives in the creeks around here. For instance, Beaver Creek in Douglas and Taney Counties has a ton of gar. I've always been told that the gar wreak havoc on the bass populations. However, I always do pretty good when fishing Beaver Creek. So I was just wondering if everybody telling me that was full of it.

#18 MrDontPlay

MrDontPlay

Chestnut Lamprey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 10:30 AM

I'll have to make me a lure tonight and try it out tomorrow

#19 Tim Smith

Tim Smith

Stippled Darter

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 10:48 AM

Thanks for that, I was actually talking about the long-nose gar that lives in the creeks around here. For instance, Beaver Creek in Douglas and Taney Counties has a ton of gar. I've always been told that the gar wreak havoc on the bass populations. However, I always do pretty good when fishing Beaver Creek. So I was just wondering if everybody telling me that was full of it.

Same thing applies to long nose (which can top 5 feet).

I think gar get a worse rap than they deserve because of the habitat issue (the bass wouldn't perfer site where gar are thick anyway), but they do take some bass. Not much different than pike/muskie issues except that gar can live places where bass can't.

#20 troutfiend1985

troutfiend1985

Paddlefish

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Royals baseball, law (I hate Scalia), my family, fly fishing, bugging Chief and Outside Bend, and sometimes Eric.

Posted 24 April 2011 - 11:02 AM

Same thing applies to long nose (which can top 5 feet).

I think gar get a worse rap than they deserve because of the habitat issue (the bass wouldn't perfer site where gar are thick anyway), but they do take some bass. Not much different than pike/muskie issues except that gar can live places where bass can't.

Yeah, it's sad to see that Gar take such a bad rap. There was a fly fishing magazine I bought a while back where this guy was targeting gar on the fly rod. Looks like a lot of fun. This summer(my last one before hell) I'm going to explore some of the KS streams looking for "trash fish." Dumpster Diving on the Fly Rod, should be a book ;)
“The greatest menace to freedom is an inert people” J. Brandeis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

count web page traffic
XM Satellite Radio