Temp Of Water Being Released

Phil Lilley

• Root Admin

Our technicians just got back from checking the water temperatures below Norfork Dam and as of right now they are holding in an acceptable range. Right below the dam the temperature was about 65 degrees Fahrenheit and was 66 degrees at the Bill Ackerman/River Ridge Access. This is slightly higher than they were when I checked them last week (about 63 degrees below the dam). We will be keeping a close eye on the water temperatures with the high air temperatures forecast for this week. When I spoke with the Corps of Engineers last week they indicated that one of the units could be up as early as the first of the month (this week). Getting that one unit would help a lot in keeping the temperatures down.

With the ability to release through the turbines at Bull Shoals I do not anticipate as serious of a temperature problem there (at least in the upper section). Our technicians will take a look tomorrow at the water temperatures on Bull Shoals at various points to get an idea of what they are running with the flood releases. I will pass that information on to you once I get it.

Also, I have received some calls with concerns about the possible stranding of fish as the Corps is able to close the flood gates. I spoke with the Corps this morning in regards to their plans for ramping back the flood releases. Here was their operation for today “The first change was made at 8 this morning. We went from 2.4' to 2.2'. We will close from 2.2' to 2' at 10 this morning. I have been told that we will be increasing the generation rate at 10 am from 200 to 250 Mw. At 2 pm the gates will be cut to 1.75', then to 1.5 feet at 4pm. That will be held overnight.” They will re-evaluate tomorrow and make necessary changes, but they intend to close them gradually over this week. I believe this reduction was gradual enough to prevent large-scale strandings and I will keep in contact with them regarding further reductions.

Lilleys Landing logo 150.jpg

• Root Admin

With a huge sigh of relief I am happy to report that the Corps of Engineers has gotten one of the units at Norfork Dam up and running. They have also cut the flood releases to about half of what they were. This has resulted in much lower water temperatures. I just checked at the Bill Ackerman/River Ridge Access and the water temperature was 60 degrees…no problems there. I for one will have a much more enjoyable weekend now. I hope you do to.

Jeff Williams

Trout Program Coordinator

E: j_williams@agfc.state.ar.us | P: (870) 424-5924 | M: (870) 404 - 0503

Lilleys Landing logo 150.jpg