Great Blue Heron

Tightline

The Herons and the shufflers got to go!!! Last month in the early early morning as I drove by the hatchery there had to be 50 or more Heron's there hulking around the pools. I'm really glad to see the covers being put over the pools. I saw a Heron gulp down a 15 inch trout down by the rebar hole this Friday. There has to be something that can be done. I don't think I like the money that I give to the state flying off.

Smiles are free

http://rdpflyrods.com/

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope the number of Herons and Kingfishers is a sign that the fish and waters here are reasonably healthy.

Gulls, don't care much for them, especially when watching them swallow ducklings. :o

Today's release is tomorrows gift to another fisherman.

Anybody ever eat fried or baked Heron? Maybe we need a season.

I would rather be fishin'.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Crappie, I too was born at skaggs 3-11-1957 ,spent my early childhood living on the Forsyth side of the Pothole. MTM ,I have been told by other people that those gulls will eat large fish also.I guess we need the Conservation to open a Gull and Heron season ,Gonefishin can bake em up and tell us how they taste!!

A very conservitive estimate on the number of Herons from Cooper Creek to the dam would be near 75. Between Cooper and the dam are three rookeries one being at cooper and the other on the flat across from the Fall Creek ramp, and the third just above the KOA on the same side.

They are always hunting and any small duck is just as much prey as the trout. Saw 1 eat 3 baby woodies one day and there was really nothing I could do.

For a while we had the Heron, Canada Goose wars going on. Saw two big geese get a heron on the flat above Fall Creek, and try to kill him. It was when they had small goslings and he was to close. I don't believe he could hurt a goose, but the ganders tried there bset to kill him. Boy was it noisy with the geese honking and the Herons flying and skawking.

Wouldn't it be a shame to see about 70 of the 75 floating down the river during generation. Something needs to be done, they are an huge drain on this fishery, consuming thousands and thousands of trout on an anual basis.

They are getting to be a nusiance that is for sure. Maybe we should start mailing letters to MDC about it.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

TL,

They taste like a cross between bald eagle and spotted owl. :lol:

Steve

Is that spotted owl or spotted AL? :unsure:

They eat a lot of trout so I was hoping they tasted like trout. :) Make a fine Thanksgiving bird if they did. :rolleyes:

I never knew they would eat baby woodies I am a huge duck hunter and would probably have to eliminate any herons with a taste for ducklings. I don't think anyone would miss the sounds of the blue heron.