Last Known Stocking

drew03cmc

I am curious when the last MDC acknowledged stocking of Crane was, as in my research of McCloud Redbands I have come across their spawn schedule, which typically takes place in June. I know that does not jibe with what we know of the fish in Crane, but is it possible that the difference in the water temperature fluctuations here as opposed to the McCloud drainage in California? I hope that the fish are pure McClouds, but the possibility then is that they could be hybrids...

My superintendent at work grew up in Crane and he remembers a stocking around 1968 where the state dumped trout into the creek there in Crane. Are any of you privy to this type of information?

Andy

I'd be interested in knowing that too. Other than the rumors I have heard, I have no idea. I do believe that the MDC has taken fish from Crane to collect eggs at least. I do have my doubts that Crane has a pure strain of McClouds though. Could be, who knows. Either way they are naturally producing now and have been for over 100 years.

If fishing was easy it would be called catching.

I will say this at the risk of being forever banned from this forum for life. I would almost bet money, that I have seen hatchery trucks, at least once, in the early 80's. Now, MDC's claim that they have not stocked it in several years, is probably likely. However, these could have easily been federal trucks from neosho. Anyone of you SW guys have any contact with the hatchery people there?

I might make a few phone calls next week and see if I can't scare up some information on this. Might see if Chief has any contacts at the hatchery, with it being like five miles from his door and all.

Laker, after I heard this from my boss I was like, wow, I had heard rumors, but here is a first hand account of a hatchery truck putting trout in the creek.

Andy

I might make a few phone calls next week and see if I can't scare up some information on this. Might see if Chief has any contacts at the hatchery, with it being like five miles from his door and all.

Laker, after I heard this from my boss I was like, wow, I had heard rumors, but here is a first hand account of a hatchery truck putting trout in the creek.

Can't recall that I actually witness the dumping of fish, just recall the truck below the drive over bridge at least once. I think they call that the city park.

I don't have an exact date but, I know it was in the 60's.

Laker, the truck you saw was most likely taking either fish or gathered eggs back to the hatchery. It was in this time the MDC was developing what has become to be the Missouri and the Missouri-Arlee strain. The Missouri strain has McCloud lineage.

Thanks to the ingenious thinking at the MDC, the Missouri strain is a autumn spawner with egg production beginning in Oct and running to Dec. The Missouri-Arlee spawns from Jan through March. This keeps us in trout all year round!

Chief Grey Bear

Living is dangerous to your health

Owner Ozark Fishing Expeditions

Co-Owner, Chief Executive Product Development Team Jerm Werm

Executive Pro Staff Team Agnew

Executive Pro Staff Paul Dallas Productions

Executive Pro Staff Team Heddon, River Division

Chief Primary Consultant Missouri Smallmouth Alliance

Executive Vice President Ronnie Moore Outdoors

I have been told that Crane and NFOW both recieved periodic stockings from the Neosho hatchery. And I believe it.

It especially stands to reason since I can remember a very long dry period during the early to mid80's when there was nothing but crawdads and tadpoles in Crane creeks DEEPEST POOLS..... if you could even call them that.

My thoughts however, is that it only matters when someone makes a big deal about how amazing it is to have pure McClouds still thriving from a 100 year old accidental stocking. But hey whatever, people believe crap that's way more far fetched than that and if it makes them feel more at one with the universe, so be it.