Nice Trout On The Spring River

Idylwilde

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mic, floatable part of the Spring River starts at Mammoth Spring, which is just across the Missouri border just south of Thayer, MO, which is south of West Plains. Mammoth Spring is the second largest spring in the Ozarks, just a bit smaller than Big Spring. The river flows south from there and is trout water for a few miles below the spring, smallmouth water on down...also has some really big walleye in lower portions. It's a ledge rock river with interesting rapids and small falls down to Hardy, AR. Gets a major amount of river dork abuse in the summer (go to Youtube and search Spring River parties and it'll just about make you sick), but is a pretty nice river otherwise.

This is some more of the last weekend fishing on Spring River. Enjoy.

The Mammoth Spring Fly shop is kind of new to the area. It's ran by a family of great honest Ozarks folks. The shop is not the largest Shop by any means, but they have the flies and tackle that you need to catch the trout. They aren't fancy but they are trying to introduce fly fishing to the upper Spring River. The area they are in is above all the canoe traffic and partying the river is known for. They have cabins and camping at a great price. Bill Traw & his wife Patty will make your trip well worth while. If you are in the area please stop in and help this little shop become the place to go when fishing the Spring River. They have no web page except FaceBook but all the information is on that page. Look Foe Mammoth Spring Campground.

Mammoth also has Fred's Fish House for the best Catfish in the State at great prices. They have a Sonic, & a new nice Hotel also. I know how hard it is to keep a small business afloat in that area in this economy so stop in and at least give them encouragement.

This is about the only stream I know of that you can catch Walleye, Brown Trout, Rainbow, Musky, Smallmouth, Bluegill, Largemouth, Goggle eye, Carp, Readhorse, all in the same area. Not the easiest river to fish without local information. It can be a little intimating at first but in short order you will be having a great time.

I live and work & Guide on the Current River but The Spring River is my Home River I was born and raised in Mammoth Spring and return there every chance I get. I hate that the river has gotten the repetition of a wild crowd river, But the upper section is still a quiet peaceful place to fish & is the best fly area. From Dam 1 to Dam 3 in the summer is great. From Dam 1 to Mini Island in the winter will be some of the the most enjoyable fishing you will find anywhere.

Take a Child Fishing they are the future of the sport.

Some good info that you are providing. I enjoy fishing the spring river as well, just need to make myself go more often. I have found and fished for some nice rainbows like in your video. A few years back, Kdan and I were walking a high bank looking for a good fish. We spot this average rainbow cruising up the weed bed. As we were watching, he darts into the moss and comes out with a rather large crawdad turned sideways in his mouth. He looked like a miniture hammerhead shark as he swam off. This was the 2nd time that I had witnessed this happen. Which side of the river is the fly shop on?

They are located just off 63 Highway Just across the Spring river Bridge and about 50 yards south of the Old Goose neck station. Turn right down the bank & your there. They would be on the East side of the river. Or Highway side.

Take a Child Fishing they are the future of the sport.