Quick Lake Levels

Generation Schedule
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Polar Bear Tournament

21 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Looking at the snow this morning got me to thinking about the polar bear on the 1st and have not heard anyone talking about it this year. Is anyone looking forward to it this year? Looks like the winter is here early but then again it could be 70 and bluebird by that time.

I always think it is a lot more in the spirt of the tournament when it is below freezing and the snow is flying a little on that day.

Posted · Report post

Looking at the snow this morning got me to thinking about the polar bear on the 1st and have not heard anyone talking about it this year. Is anyone looking forward to it this year? Looks like the winter is here early but then again it could be 70 and bluebird by that time.

I always think it is a lot more in the spirt of the tournament when it is below freezing and the snow is flying a little on that day.

Planning on it and would love for it to be as windy and cold as last year!

Posted · Report post

I suppose Donna and I will be there. We like to say we fish the Polar Bear every year to remind us why we don't fish Beaver :noway: .

Posted · Report post

Just a little tip from what I saw this past weekend. I was floating around Praire creek chasing the bait with serveral other striper fishermen and I noticed that everyone was catching more BIG blacks then stripers. I also saw a lot of BASS boats huging the shore and finding it hard to get a keeper.

Shad seemed to hanging around 35ft but when they started breaking toward the 10ft level in 50-60 ft of water that is where the big blacks started hitting the live bait. We didn't see a lot of fish on the locator just walls of shad that raised in peaks instead of the normal straight line.

Wish I would have had a spoon or jerkbait to see how many blacks I could have boated but we were looking for big stripers.

Best of luck to all those brave enough to get out there.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the tip, Stump Bumper. We're going Christmas Day and will make a decision on whether to donate the week after based on those results.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the tip, Stump Bumper. We're going Christmas Day and will make a decision on whether to donate the week after based on those results.

So how did it go, really nice day but bluebird day probally made fishing a little slow I am guessing?? Did you find your pattern?

Posted · Report post

Donate Donate.. the more boats on the water the more the birds are stirred up lol... I will be easy to spot Im going overboard and putting out the whole spread just for giggles... Oh beware coots those dang birds still are getting ran over they just wont get up this year for some reason.

Posted · Report post

So how did it go, really nice day but bluebird day probally made fishing a little slow I am guessing?? Did you find your pattern?

Changed our mind at the last minute and went to Eucha instead. Been catching 40 or better a day over there and Sunday we managed about 35 despite the bluebird skies and no wind. Would take me a week to catch that many at Beaver.

Posted · Report post

Whats the entry for the polar bear and do you pay at Prairie Creek ramp? Never fished it before but thought I would this year....

Posted · Report post

I saw a sign today at HLS that said entry was $60. I know nothing about it beyond that, sorry.

Posted · Report post

$60 entry, pay in cash at prarie creek 7AM-3PM Jan 1st. There are also side pots for big striper and big walleye, believe they are $10 each.

Posted · Report post

$60 entry, pay in cash at prarie creek 7AM-3PM Jan 1st. There are also side pots for big striper and big walleye, believe they are $10 each.

:slow: I hope no ones tries to carry a 20-30lb striper around around with a livewell full of blacks. Those quater size scales stop up everything in the livewell and will choke out the bass. Does not sound like a good idea at all.

Posted · Report post

I can tell you this it should be renamed the SOUTH BEACH Tournament this year... I just got off the lake and shed out of my waders before sunrise and was down to a t-shirt by 8am... temp on my trucks guage said 67 when i was leaving.

Posted · Report post

Looks like it will be a bit chilly come Monday AM. I'll be interested to hear what they catch them on. I think it will be tough fishing, but there are always a few guys that do good.

Posted · Report post

I am betting on a wart winning the money again probally on the North end. Even though I have seen a lot of big bass caught deep and myself I would be on points with shad with a spoon. Seems evey year someone shows up with custom painted wiggle warts and hits a 20lb bag right off the rocks. If the wind picks up the cole slaw spinner bait may also be the winner but my money is on the wiggle wart bite.

Posted · Report post

Weather turned out pretty nice for this time of year, sunny with a breeze blowing, you might be right about that Wiggle Wart working today.

Posted · Report post

well did anyone get the details?

Posted · Report post

Not a word in today's paper. Jeb told me that the winner had around 16 lbs. but other than that, no details.

Posted · Report post

Yeah, Aaron at HLS said it was 16+ for the winner. Dang nice average sized fish for Beaver!

Posted · Report post

I don't get the Thursday paper but saw online there was a report. Did it have any more details??

Posted · Report post

The Benton County Daily Record had a write up on the Polar Bear in Thursday's paper. No info on what the top finishers used or where they fished unfortunately.

Winners were Tony Jones and Brad Smith with 6 bass weighing 16.99 lbs.

2nd was Kelly Greer and Brett Winborn, 6 bass 16.44 lbs.

3rd Steven Meador and Aaron Stanfield, 6 bass 16.1 lbs.

Big bass 5.47 lbs.

Big walleye 4.7 lbs.

No mention of stripers.

70 boats entered.

There was also a tourney out of Hickory Creek, only 7 boats entered, winners had 2 bass for 2.3 lbs. Big bass was 1.7 lbs.