Gigging Is Stupid

Smalliebigs

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guns are stupid they kill people. OH! I think the thing is SOME People with guns are stupid and some people with gigs are too. Not the gun, hunting, or the gigging sport's..

Take a Child Fishing they are the future of the sport.

the concept of gigging violates the fair chase principle. I agree, gigging and giggers could vanish and our fisheries would improve.

Fish On Kayak Adventures, LLC.

Supreme Commander

'The Dude' of Kayak fishing

www.fishonkayakadventures.com

fishonkayakadventures@yahoo.com

Good thread ! Let's begin a list of all the Genuinely Stupid Things...

1. Legal Marriage

2. CCW permits

3. Seat belt laws

4. DWI checkpoints

5. Deer checking stations

6. House cats

7. Sales tax on used cars

8. Belief in ghosts and demons

9. Flying clorox bottles

10. Non-Smoking fishing cabins

11. Cross-cut rabbit strips

12. Beer named after flyfishing jargon

13. House plants names with 4 or more syllables

14. Mail-in rebates

15. The term "gray area"

Beef jerky time!

1. Legal Marriage

2. CCW permits

3. Seat belt laws

4. DWI checkpoints

6. House cats

9. Flying clorox bottles

13. House plants names with 4 or more syllables

14. Mail-in rebates

15. The term "gray area"

Beef jerky time!

Love it! Bravo

Just because you don't understand a sport, you really should not condemn it.

As a catch and release smallie hunter, how many smallmouth do you kill a year in your pursuits? You catch one and stress it, you foul hook it and it contracts a disease, you fatally gill hook it and it dies instantly, you hold one out of the water too long while you get the camera out to take a picture. You are probably are not really fully aware of the mortality of the smallmouth bass species that involves your sport either.

And what about the legal bait fishers wanting to take a creel of bass and having to release ones that do not meet the size requirements, but have a hook and a minnow buried deep in their gullets?

Giggers pursue a non-game species of suckers that do not readily take a bait on the hook and line. Sometimes they hit a smallie by mistake. Sometimes you catch a Longear Sunfish when you are targeting Smallies.

And, like any outdoor sport, there are those worthless SOB's that poach. It happens with all game pursuits, there are the unworthy around us that POACH. Flyfishers poach and keep more fish than the limit allows. Hunters kill more than the limit. Every species has its POACHERS. That does not mean you should eliminate a method or a pursuit of a species of game in this state.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

— Hunter S. Thompson

Just because you don't understand a sport, you really should not condemn it.

As a catch and release smallie hunter, how many smallmouth do you kill a year in your pursuits? You catch one and stress it, you foul hook it and it contracts a disease, you fatally gill hook it and it dies instantly, you hold one out of the water too long while you get the camera out to take a picture. You are probably are not really fully aware of the mortality of the smallmouth bass species that involves your sport either.

And what about the legal bait fishers wanting to take a creel of bass and having to release ones that do not meet the size requirements, but have a hook and a minnow buried deep in their gullets?

Giggers pursue a non-game species of suckers that do not readily take a bait on the hook and line. Sometimes they hit a smallie by mistake. Sometimes you catch a Longear Sunfish when you are targeting Smallies.

And, like any outdoor sport, there are those worthless SOB's that poach. It happens with all game pursuits, there are the unworthy around us that POACH. Flyfishers poach and keep more fish than the limit allows. Hunters kill more than the limit. Every species has its POACHERS. That does not mean you should eliminate a method or a pursuit of a species of game in this state.

I agree to a point JD, but illegal gigging is more like a weapon of mass destruction. The season is in the time of the year when the water is typically more low and clear and the fish are schooled together, making them much more vulnerable. A poacher can go in and clean out an entire hole full of large 10 year old fish in one night.

"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor

I know all giggers are not criminals but, on the Meramec River it at an epidemic state right now and to see quality Smallies getting giged is f*** up. I will do everything in my power to stop it and bug as many people at the local level and MDC as I can.

JD don't compare me fishing for smallies with giggers.....not even close. If you can't tell the difference between a smallie and a chub then you should not be gigging.

1. Legal Marriage

2. CCW permits

3. Seat belt laws

4. DWI checkpoints

6. House cats

9. Flying clorox bottles