Big Brown, Hope The Rest Of 2012 Has A Few Of These

Nortrad

Took the trail from the road downstream from Baptist. It sure saves time to get to the horseshoe bend where the logs used to cross the river. Walked downstream from there. My tactic this time was to bring two rods, throwing articulated streamers with the 6WT, then switching over the the 5WT nymph rig. I decided on a black wool head streamer with stinger in front and #6 in the back. On my second hole I waited a little for the streamer to dive, that was it--hard take and mini-run. Got him on the reel and started the fight. He kept taking me downstream. I'd get him over to the side then he'd go back to the middle of the river. Finally he seemed to tucker out a little so I got him to the net. I could tell that this one was a measuring tape fish--22" X 12". Nice fat male with beautiful bluish gill plates. Also caught a nice rainbow farther upstream, he fought as strong as the brown, though not as long.

On a down note, looked up into a tree and a kingfisher had been caught up in somebody's errant cast. I'd seen this before on a website, poor bird.

Thanks to Gavin, Siusaluki, and all you other guys who have landed some big browns on the Current. Those posts always gave me hope that I'd get another chance to land a good fish.

post-6822-0-85172400-1330918801_thumb.jp

post-6822-0-25163800-1330918809_thumb.jp

post-6822-0-58614700-1330918888_thumb.jp

post-6822-0-36690200-1330918976_thumb.jp

post-6822-0-70374100-1330918989_thumb.jp

post-6822-0-42822400-1330918999_thumb.jp

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice Brown......there are tons in there like that from Baptist to Cedar. It's real bummer about the Kingfisher....people need to be a little more smart about cleaning your line up...wow

Great fish! Streamer fishing is exciting. What size tippet were you using with the streamer? I normally have to bump it up to 4 or 5x when throwing the streamers during the day.

A Little Rain Won't Hurt Them Fish.....They're Already Wet!!

Visit my website at..

Ozark Trout Runners

gallery4a082cb0bdef6.jpg

I got a Feathercraft furled streamer leader last year, the one with the tiny swivel. It sure helps. It's 6'. I loop attached about 2' of Seaguar 12 lb. Always use a loop knot so the streamer will 'jig.' Saw your rainbow, very nice, reminded me a cutthroat.

Good for you! Heck of a jaw on that one.

Thanks Gavin, big nice male made my heart pound. Cold and windy in the PM, only 3 fish landed.