• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Greasy B

Greasy B

Banded Darter

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts
  • Location:About 70 miles too far from the nearest Smallmouth stream.
  • Interests:Rivers

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

A buddy of mine caught a half dozen fish this size out of the Mississippi River last weekend. We again tried one night this week but couldn’t find any. Fishing for White Bass/Hybrid is new to me. Is this a pretty good size for a hybrid? I recall someone posting pictures last year of some Stripers, Whites caught near St Louis. I’d love to learn a little more about this if anyone has any advice.

Attached Files

No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught only by himself has a fool for a master.
Hunter S. Thomson

#2 Bird Watcher

Bird Watcher

Hoosier

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts
  • Interests:Cooking delicious Largemouth and Smallmouth bass, Gigging, Shuffling, Snagging, Live bait fishing, carrying concealed weapons,Wakeboarding,and riding Waverunners.

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:21 PM

That's a good average fish where I fish, but might be a giant on other waters. I've never fished for them over there so I can't really say. I can tell you this, watch out with the hybrids! They are like a bad drug. I had one night like that when I first started fishing for them 5 or 6 years ago and it made me become completely obsessed with catching them. I don't even want to know how many fishless days and weeks I endured trying to figure them out. Here's one thing for you to digest. Read this over and over again and think about it. They like to be near current, but not in it. That covers a lot of water, but it's usually true for me. Also, live shad are your friend. The challenge is catching the shad and keeping them lively as possible. Hybrids are very finicky about their bait. At least most of the time they are for me. There are days when they will hit anything you lob at them, but most of the time I find them to be very sharp eyed and finicky. That might because I fish for them in a lot of clear water. I also think that they relate to structure a lot like a stream smallmouth. My ideal spot would be the tail out of a riffle, right at the head of the pool, on the outside bend adjacent to a gravel bar. I would hope there would be mud outcroppings and maybe some boulders to provide a current break. Free line or float a 5 inch shad under a balloon down through there and hold on! good luck! let us know how you do with them.

#3 podum

podum

Golden Shiner

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

If that's average, i want to fish with you and your friend. Whites and hybrids are mobile but a little more predictable this time of year. Wherever your friend was, fish between there and the nearest tributary. They cant spawn but think they can. Bird's advice about current breaks is gold.
I wish I had more time more than I wish I had more money.

#4 fishinwrench

fishinwrench

MFU

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:14 AM

They cant spawn but think they can.

I always thought that too, but apparently in the big rivers they are quite successful at spawning.
"Time is running out. Fishing days are finite and, increasingly it seems, harder to come by. Use them wisely.", joeD

#5 podum

podum

Golden Shiner

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:05 PM

I've often wondered about that wrench. The party line from MDC is that they don't spawn and that the population in the big rivers is overflow from the reservoirs and rivers where they are stocked. I'm with you, though. There are too many in too many places for me to believe it.

#6 Greasy B

Greasy B

Banded Darter

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts
  • Location:About 70 miles too far from the nearest Smallmouth stream.
  • Interests:Rivers

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:15 PM

Yea, where in the world could a fish caught on the Alton IL river front have been stocked?
No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught only by himself has a fool for a master.
Hunter S. Thomson

#7 Justin Spencer

Justin Spencer

Dusky Darter

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts
  • Interests:Hunting
    Fishing
    Trapping
    Sports

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

I don't know if they spawn successfully, but they are fertile and evidently are successful in some reservoirs.
"The problem with a politician’s quote on Facebook is you don’t know whether or not they really said it." –Abraham Lincoln

Tales of an Ozark Campground Proprietor

Dead Drift Fly Shop

#8 podum

podum

Golden Shiner

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:41 PM

The comment had nothing to do with where these fish were caught (information which wasn't available in the original post). The fish are all through the Missouri River system from STL up to KC (at least). The only stock points in that area to my knowledge are around STL(if Illinois does it) and the overflow fish from LOZ in the Osage. I'm curious to know if there are other stocking points. Apparantly there is some natural reproduction and current is necessary: http://www.arkansass...ning-habits.htm

#9 siusaluki

siusaluki

American Eel

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Smallies

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:24 PM

Illinois stocks them into the Mississippi river by the Quad cities, plus a crap load of lakes along larger interior rivers. Missouri stocks them in quite a few lakes, as does Iowa, kentucky, and quite a few other states up the Ohio river. They will travel a LONG ways in river systems, and they are notorious for leaving lakes. I have caught all three species out of Mississippi river feeder streams in watersheds with no hybrid or striper stocking. Some of them get really BIG!

Posted Image

#10 brother dave

brother dave

Bluegill

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:fishin, huntin, tinkerin and eatin critters

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:54 AM

I have caught these at three locations, chain of rocks, alton dam and cuivre river. We'll get a few while trying to catch white bass. I was at the cuivre last thursday and had no luck with either.
I shop at the outdoor grocery store

#11 Wayne SW/MO

Wayne SW/MO

Old MFU Fishermen

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,280 posts
  • Interests:Smallmouth and flows. Trout, carp, temperates, if it swims.

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:14 PM

I too have always heard that one the negatives to stocking them is the fact that they are wanderlust.
I wonder if they eat small Asian carp.
Today's release is tomorrows gift to another fisherman.

#12 brother dave

brother dave

Bluegill

• Fishing Buddy
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:fishin, huntin, tinkerin and eatin critters

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:36 AM

I too have always heard that one the negatives to stocking them is the fact that they are wanderlust.
I wonder if they eat small Asian carp.

I eat the asian carp. Theyre mighty tasty when the waters cold and when theyre big enough to filet. as far as whites eatin em, dont know. Would have to speculate they do. Thats only based on the fact I ve used the asian carp as cut bait with as good as results as shad
I shop at the outdoor grocery store

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

count web page traffic
XM Satellite Radio