OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Quillback

100 Lb. Blue Cat In Beaver?

I was reading the fishing report in the Benton County Daily Record this Thursday and there was a paragraph in there stating someone had caught a 100 Lb. Blue on shad while striper fishing. No pictures, names or any other info. Anyone else heard this from another source? I know there's 100 + lb. blues caught in the big rivers but never heard of one that big coming out of a lake around here.

I guess it's possible. I saw a really large "something" surface in the middle of the channel 2yrs ago. It was easily 5-6ft long. At first I thought it was a diver surfacing and in trouble because it thrashed around. Looked large enough to be a human. Being curious of what I just witnessed, I idled over the spot and saw the two LARGEST fish arches I've ever seen on my sonar. Whatever it was, it was as big as a person and there were two of them. I thought maybe a big gar or paddlefish. Then the thought of a big blue catfish occured. Whatever it was, it was huge. Wish I had downscan and sideimaging. Could have been interesting.

Back on subject here.......I haven't heard of anything recently but I know a 50lb cat was caught on a trotline in Van Winkle a few years back.

That would be getting real close to the state record of 116lbs out of the Mississippi and I am with you that BIG cats usually grow in Rivers but that cat could be 50 years old and would have started in a river before the darn was there and if he had been living near the darn sucking up shad near the turbines it would be the same thing as a river fish.