How to "keep a grip" on Trout to Release them W/O Harm to the Fish?

Fozzy

I meant the boga grip for fish of larger size such as 5 lbs and above not for dinks. They are safe for trout. if you do happen to catch a world record fish, the sale is igfa certified. You have to send it in with the line for the line class also so they can make judgement, but yes they are worth the money. If you didnt want to put it in the fishes mouth, you can attach it to your net and hold the fish in the net to weigh it, just subtract the weight of the net to get an accurate reading (if you use it just for that purpose, then you are spending quite a bit for a scale). I have used one and i would recommend them to use.

There are two types of people. Those who dream dreams and wish, then there are the do'ers. I am a do'er!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MTB,

I should "qualify" my reply. I am not against Boga grips especially on bigger fish as long as you are using them to hold the mouth and holding the tail in your hand. Simply holding them up with a Boga vertically is against my better judgement (as I suspect it is against yours as well.)

I don't have to worry about that because I never catch anything over a couple pounds anyway... :lol:

As far as that goes, unless you are in a tournament that requires a weight (and for trout, I don't think I've seen one...) I don't see the need to weigh a fish... measure the length and girth and go with that. With that, you can estimate the weight if that's important to you.

TIGHT LINES, YA'LL

"There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process." - Paul O’Neil

I like length, it just as representative of a fish as weight is, and much easier to obtain.

Its popular in Smallmouth circles to use length, and it works well. They also stick with inches, a 17 3/4 is the same as an 18 1/4, both are 18's.

Today's release is tomorrows gift to another fisherman.

Wayne... I'm thinking of going metric... Those 12 inchers I usually catch sound much bigger at 30 centimeters....

TIGHT LINES, YA'LL

"There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process." - Paul O’Neil

Im with 3wt...

if you hold the fish upside down it is better for the fish... and it does calm them down..

but if you catch a fish 22in or bigger...and dont have a net.. try to bank it.. but get it back to the water as soon as possible...

I really hate seen people holding trout up by their bottom lips.. they are trout not bass....

Most (98%) of the trout you catch on fly or lure you can get it close enough to grab either one ( but be careful with those treble hook).. just grab your leader or tippet and loosely run your hand toward the hook (be ready to release the line if the fish starts to act wild or you'll have hooks in you hand)... take hold of the head of hook or fly and then try to get ahold the fish...

but like 3wt said.... holding them just behind the dorsal fin... and turn them upsidedown really does work.. once you learn how to.. and the proper grip to the fish so your not hurting it..

I meant the boga grip for fish of larger size such as 5 lbs and above not for dinks. They are safe for trout. if you do happen to catch a world record fish, the sale is igfa certified. You have to send it in with the line for the line class also so they can make judgement, but yes they are worth the money. If you didnt want to put it in the fishes mouth, you can attach it to your net and hold the fish in the net to weigh it, just subtract the weight of the net to get an accurate reading (if you use it just for that purpose, then you are spending quite a bit for a scale). I have used one and i would recommend them to use.

I was also talking about the bigger fish. I use my net for length measurements on the smaller one's, but the bass fisher in me still likes to know the weight on the bigger one's. Don't think I'll have to worry about the IGFA rating. Don't see a record in my future any time soon. Like you said, It's a lot of money for just a scale, that's what's kept me from getting one so far. Think I'll keep looking and stay with the net for know. Thanks for the info.

John

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

KSMEDIC.COM