Mdc Killed An Elk

Jerry Rapp

How did the MDC "help" the elk?

I think they were perfectly happy where they were before they were herded, trapped, caged, transported, collared, then tossed in a fenced area far away from their native habitat.

They were living in Kentucky, how happy could they have been?

Reintroducing elk provides a motive to better manage Ozark woodlands- that's what I was saying.

I see what you're saying F&F, I even agree to some extent. But MDC routinely eliminates deer and geese when they become a nuisance, not to mention foxes, raccoons, otters, and other animals. MDC's policy toward elk isn't much different from their policy with other animals that can cause problems for people.

I'd love to see elk given free reign to wander wherever they want in this state and beyond- but with all the politics and ag interests, it's just not feasible. Even if elk reintroduction benefits only 350 square miles of Ozark woodlands, I see that as better than nothing.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just speaking on the quail thing (as I have a friend that offers controlled quail hunts ... you know, keeps them cages and then "releases" them to be shot). It makes money for my friend and his dad, but I don't see the sport in that (just my opinion ... if you like to partake in that ... no harm, no foul).

Anyways, to create good quail country you have to allow native grasses/plants to grow. The problem is that farmers need fescue to raise cattle and other fields are full of soy, corn, etc.

While it would be great to let the landowner help this situation out, it is just not feasible for the INDIVIDUAL landowner. I have many family members in Lowry City, Deepwater, Montrose and other places that farm ... plain and simple ... fescue and clover are needed for them to survive.

Judge if you want, but quail will not ever be prominent again unless the MDC has a magic wand that can change the reality of the day.

As far as the elk, I have no idea what is best ... I will sit back and see how it plays out.

Enjoy your day guys and gals!

PS - After posting, I LOOKED AT THE TITLE ... guess I didn't have anything to further the original thought ... I blame it on Chief :secret-laugh:

Something about that "Shooting the elk" story, just isn't right. Bring elk back to the state, then shoot them if they roam a little. Its not right. I lost any faith I had in the MDC, if I ever had any.

Here is how I look at the ELK. If the MDC was truly concerned about restoring them ( which i would support) then they need to let them roam at will. I am just curious if the MDC even went out west or talked to people about the ELK. They will roam, so here is the problem they go off the reservation and Custer will get sent in to shoot them.

Im sorry but to me reintroduction means to try and bring back the species. NOT bring them back to a small area and any that do not obey the signs get shot. Bring up DEER and TURKEY but I have never seen the MDC go shoot them when they leave an area. Pretty penny spent on the ELK just to go Custer on them.

I gotta agree with this...either do it or don't.

But I say do it, because elk are essentially just big deer, and they're NATIVE. What problem does an elk create that a deer doesn't? All this talk about the nuisance they'll be...how, exactly? People act like they're reintroducing polio or something. They're just big, dumb, beautiful, NATIVE herbivores, mindlessly chowing down on vegetation and making babies. I don't get the whole Chicken Little reaction to it...I think people just like to bitch about anything MDC does simply because they're a government agency. Anything.

They were native, then we killed them out.

They tear up fences.

So do deer...part of life in the country. The sun turns my beautiful red cedar to gray. Should we get rid of the sun, too?

And just because we hunted them to extirpation doesn't mean they're no longer native. They're still native. They'll always be native.

So do deer...part of life in the country. The sun turns my beautiful red cedar to gray. Should we get rid of the sun, too?

And just because we hunted them to extirpation doesn't mean they're no longer native. They're still native. They'll always be native.

Not if MDC shoots them when they tear down the fence and get out!!!! yehaa

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

. What problem does an elk create that a deer doesn't? All this talk about the nuisance they'll be...how, exactly?

just a precursory search:

average adult male whitetail deer weight: 130-290lbs

average adult male elk (not roosevelt subspecies) 710lbs

hitting an adult male elk would be like running into rosie o'donnell. game over

Fish On Kayak Adventures, LLC.

Supreme Commander

'The Dude' of Kayak fishing

www.fishonkayakadventures.com

fishonkayakadventures@yahoo.com