How To Purify The Water Of The Eleven Point River For Drinking?

MaxDrown

I'm take a scout troop on a 50mile float on the Eleven Point River in two weeks. I'm trying to figure out the best way to have drinking water for the whole trip.

Is it safe to boil the EPR water for 3 minutes and then drink it?

If not, are there other suggestions?

-- Max Drown

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a lot of trouble. I take a purifier, but for a bunch of scouts i believe I would make do with the tablets. You could always supplement by using any fire left to boil water and then leave it to cool until morning.

Today's release is tomorrows gift to another fisherman.

50 mile float, there is no way I would risk having one of those kids getting sick. Take a purifier and make sure you follow the manufacturers instructions. boiling does not remove toxic chemicals that are in the water. Agricultural and municipal runoff aren't very tasty.

Fish On Kayak Adventures, LLC.

Supreme Commander

'The Dude' of Kayak fishing

www.fishonkayakadventures.com

fishonkayakadventures@yahoo.com

There is some runoff from cattle operations in the area...I'd run it through a pump purifier then use a tablet. I use a pump purifier....and never an issue...but with a group of scouts its better to be safe than sorry. Have a great trip.

That's a lot of trouble. I take a purifier, but for a bunch of scouts i believe I would make do with the tablets. You could always supplement by using any fire left to boil water and then leave it to cool until morning.

Fire? There is still a ban on open fires?

I am trying to calculate how long the 11pt is. 50 miles seems a little steep.

Unless there is some rain, no fires. You will have to boil water on a camp stove.

Best option would be to have caches stashed along the river in cars at some of the accesses. Riverton has a store with water and ice.

When I crossed it last weekend at 142 and the Narrows, local cattle farmer has razed the bank on the SE side below the bridge and moved cattle down to water due to the drought. I expect you will run into cattle in the stream above and below the ONSR system. I would carry a fresh supply of water if possible.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

Max

After seeing you in action here last time I genuinely worry about you and the troop. PACK LIGHT!!!

"The problem with a politician’s quote on Facebook is you don’t know whether or not they really said it." –Abraham Lincoln

Tales of an Ozark Campground Proprietor

Dead Drift Fly Shop